Toying with the idea of the DW MDD Pedals............. Convince me......or not :)

Frosticles

Silver Member
I have a chance of a pair of these & am curious. Never played DD's before. I currently have a brand new pair of 9002's currently on chains. (Straps available if I wanted) & also a pair of Iron Cobra Coiled Powerglides which I take on tour as I don't care too much for them.
Been watching a few video's on them & apparently they can be set up to feel like chain drives with the various settings. I have always loved the 9002's as they just suit my playing perfectly but the DD's seem to be an itch that I need to scratch.

Please put me off ............... :ROFLMAO:

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Buy used, give them a go and return if not right. It’s what I did. Took a while, but I found the pedal that made me stop thinking about the pedal and it’s next adjustment.

Frosticles

Silver Member
Buy used, give them a go and return if not right. It’s what I did. Took a while, but I found the pedal that made me stop thinking about the pedal and it’s next adjustment.

Yes, They are used but a private sale.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Is this a case of GAS? or just curiosity?

Personally, I always try to satisfy my curiosity (I don't have GAS). This has led me to try about 20 different batter heads, five different reso heads, different cymbals, five different pedals (I've locked in with Iron Cobra Power Glide). I say go for it.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I was giving the DW MD Single Pedal serious consideration. I heard about a DW employee who could have any pedal(s) he wanted
comped from DW and his choice was a 5000 series strap driven pedal. I happened to find a like new early 90's 5000 strap pedal
at a studio with less than 30 hours usage. All thoughts of the MDD ceased.

I'd give the 9002 straps a go first and see what you think. If that doesn't do it for you then go for the MDD.

Frosticles

Silver Member
Well, Curiosity has got the better of me & I have bought them on a whim. Could quite possibly be a very expensive mistake............. For that money (even second hand) I am going to force myself to like them. Will fit the straps to my 9000's tomorrow & see what they feel like.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
The beauty of used...you don't have to force yourself to like them. The offloading process is far less painful. :)

Frosticles

Silver Member
The beauty of used...you don't have to force yourself to like them. The offloading process is far less painful. :)
Absolutely :) Would hate to buy them new...........

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I got a chance to try a single pedal at NAMM. You're talking about those CNC expensive DW pedals, right?

My problem, and I don't know if it's everybody's problem, is that my foot is already used to having a pedal feel a certain way, so every pedal I try, will get adjusted to feel that way. As I've told everyone before, everything I've owned finds its way to feeling like the ancient Camco pedals from the 60s - chain, strap, direct drive,.....it doesn't matter. I'll make them all feel that way. So although I've played the DW9000's, I won't go farther than the 5000's now. So when I tested the new CNC Beast by DW, I came away not thinking it was worth the price. But I'm sure a lot of people are buying and using them, especially the serious players. And then I'll go see somebody like Roy Haynes who's using an ancient Speed King, flying way faster than I ever could.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
They should arrive tomorrow so the kit is set up & ready to receive them.............

Looking forward to hearing your take on them.

Jml

Nope. Not possible. Direct-drive is not at all like non-direct-drive. The beater's movement is not linearly aligned with the pedal's movement.

Yep. I went to an Axis direct drive and now I can’t/won’t go back to anything else. I bought the Sonor Perfect Balance standard pedal as a backup - a perfectly fine pedal. I had to return it because there was a noticeable lag between that and my Axis. I encourage everyone to at least try a direct drive pedal. It will change how you feel about pedals.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Is the Ludwig Speed King considered direct drive?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yes, these ridiculous things........

9875105_800 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

They should arrive tomorrow so the kit is set up & ready to receive them.............
What was cool was at NAMM, somebody actually brought in a huge CNC machine into the bottom floor and they had it making parts for these pedals. Then it hit me: if it's all made by machine, why do they cost more than anything else out there? Humans are actually doing less work to make them and it's not like this particular CNC machine is the only one that could make these pedal parts.

But they do look cool and they're kinda' like the iPhone XR of the drum pedal world - they're a status symbol when you roll in to the gig and whip these out of your trap case to other drummers ;)

Frosticles

Silver Member
They arrived. gave them a good clean the assembled. Really are in excellent condition & look hardly used. Spent most of the late morning/early afternoon setting them up. They felt heavy to start with. Took all of the weights out of the beaters, Adjusted the spring tensions, Pulled the beaters further back, Changed the "Cam" action from Accellerator to normal then fine tuned. Have them now set up for my playing & they feel great.
Those that say you can't make them feel like a 9000 are wrong. With time & patience these are pretty damn close but feel a tad lighter & a little more responsive.
The Drive Shaft is excellent & an equal to my Trick Shaft on my 9000's. One thing though that I will have to look into but can't figure out yet is there is lag on the left pedal when I was setting up the swing. I can't seem to dial this out. The right beater will swing forever but the left lags a lot in comparison. I changed the shaft to the Trick one & it makes no difference. Both shafts on my 9000's swing in unison with zero lag. Hmmmmmmmm. Investigation needed.
Overall declared chuffed with them & will use them on tomorrow night's gig :)

fullsizeoutput_10b8 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_10b7 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_10c1 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_10c2 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_10b5 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
B
They arrived. gave them a good clean the assembled. Really are in excellent condition & look hardly used. Spent most of the late morning/early afternoon setting them up. They felt heavy to start with. Took all of the weights out of the beaters, Adjusted the spring tensions, Pulled the beaters further back, Changed the "Cam" action from Accellerator to normal then fine tuned. Have them now set up for my playing & they feel great.
Those that say you can't make them feel like a 9000 are wrong. With time & patience these are pretty damn close but feel a tad lighter & a little more responsive.
The Drive Shaft is excellent & an equal to my Trick Shaft on my 9000's. One thing though that I will have to look into but can't figure out yet is there is lag on the left pedal when I was setting up the swing. I can't seem to dial this out. The right beater will swing forever but the left lags a lot in comparison. I changed the shaft to the Trick one & it makes no difference. Both shafts on my 9000's swing in unison with zero lag. Hmmmmmmmm. Investigation needed.
Overall declared chuffed with them & will use them on tomorrow night's gig :)

fullsizeoutput_10b8 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_10b7 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_10c1 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_10c2 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
fullsizeoutput_10b5 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr

Beautiful. They are some gorgeous pedals.

Try playing with the spring tension for the left side. There is extra mass and friction. The driveshaft, extra beater holder/cam assembly (since it's all basically one unit), and extra bearing might be affecting the swing. Loosening it might allow the extra mass to swing a bit more freely. I think tightening it might make it swing even less, but I may have it backwards.

Frosticles

Silver Member
B

Beautiful. They are some gorgeous pedals.

Try playing with the spring tension for the left side. There is extra mass and friction. The driveshaft, extra beater holder/cam assembly (since it's all basically one unit), and extra bearing might be affecting the swing. Loosening it might allow the extra mass to swing a bit more freely. I think tightening it might make it swing even less, but I may have it backwards.

Can adjust my 9000's perfectly so they do this. Might be just a case of messing about with various settings :)

Frosticles

Silver Member
Beautiful
I would disconnect the drive shaft and see if the beaters swing evenly when pulled back on the main pedal. If they do then the problem is in the slave pedal. Inspect to see if that’s where the sticking is. Maybe a bad bearing somewhere. Let us know what you find and I can elaborate from there
Tony

Thank you. Did this yesterday. Pulled the beaters back & still the same. Maybe spring tension too tight?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Yep. I went to an Axis direct drive and now I can’t/won’t go back to anything else. I bought the Sonor Perfect Balance standard pedal as a backup - a perfectly fine pedal. I had to return it because there was a noticeable lag between that and my Axis. I encourage everyone to at least try a direct drive pedal. It will change how you feel about pedals.

I’m the same way, I have a Perfect Balance and a Trick Pro1V, and I’m totally in love with the Trick. I still practice sometimes on the Perfect Balance pedal, though, in case I ever have to sit in on someone else’s kit and they have a pedal that feels more like that.