Tower Of Power Drum Cover

rhumbagirl

Nice! Is that a new snare? I like the 3/4 bar in there.

Curious if you had any residual ring from your tom mics when hitting the snare or kick, and what you did to solve that. I have my toms angled more these days, so maybe that is part of it. I'm able to use the Gate effect to get rid of the ring (solo the tom1 track, then hit the snare, adjusting the "Attack" setting until the ring is gone).

Threshold : setting is set low (-31dB) so ghost notes are captured
Attack : set to max (150ms), but if the snare is hit hard, the ring is there; increasing the threshold to -25dB solves this at the cost of losing ghost note sensitivity
Hold : set to nominal (5ms), although I can't discern any effect on the sound

P.S: I'm also using a small 1/2" strip of black duck tape on the tom batter head as well.

Last edited:

kaide

Nice! Is that a new snare? I like the 3/4 bar in there.

Curious if you had any residual ring from your tom mics when hitting the snare or kick, and what you did to solve that. I have my toms angled more these days, so maybe that is part of it. I'm able to use the Gate effect to get rid of the ring (solo the tom1 track, then hit the snare, adjusting the "Attack" setting until the ring is gone).

Threshold : setting is set low (-31dB) so ghost notes are captured
Attack : set to max (150ms), but if the snare is hit hard, the ring is there; increasing the threshold to -25dB solves this at the cost of losing ghost note sensitivity
Hold : set to nominal (5ms), although I can't discern any effect on the sound

P.S: I'm also using a small 1/2" strip of black duck tape on the tom batter head as well.
This snare is over 55 years old so not really new....I have had it for a year so far :)

I have these Snareweight dampers on my toms to reduce the ring caused by snare or kick. If you have the same tuning on your rack tom bottom head and the snare, then that causes snare wire rattle. Try to tune the bottom tom head to a different pitch or use a little damping for the bottom head. Check out some audio lessons from youtube to learn more about gates and settings, I'm not an expert with that stuff :)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Nice grooving! I'm used to the version on the "Live and in Living Color" album - so hearing it that slow surprises me to this day!

kaide

Nice grooving! I'm used to the version on the "Live and in Living Color" album - so hearing it that slow surprises me to this day!
Thanks Bo Eder! Live and in Living Color was my first TOP album and compared to that the original is VERY slow. Begins 92 beat and fastest maybe 98 bpm compared to live version around 108 bpm. The original version has a nice little shuffle feel but the live version is like a different song :)

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I'm ashamed to say I haven't heard that song before, so not familiar with the versions, but will now. Nicely played as always!(y)

kaide

I'm ashamed to say I haven't heard that song before, so not familiar with the versions, but will now. Nicely played as always!(y)
Thanks AzHeat! There are a few live versions of this one and it's nice to hear how the song has evolved over the years.