Tourtech TT-22M Vs Roland TD-1DMK

bucksend

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of the above beginner all mesh kits? I'm torn between them. I am a returning drummer, played for fun until around 5 years ago, still own my acoustic kit and want to get back into it. I now have a 2 and a 4 year old who I'd love to introduce to the instrument too. Acoustic is in storage and highly inappropriate for my flat!

I have really briefly played the TT and feel and first impressions were good, it's also £150 cheaper. But I do really like the idea of the coaching features of the Roland kit, playing to a click that drops out and tells you how accurate you were etc. I never learnt to play to a click or any of the 'boring' stuff which now really interests me.

Will the Rolland also be more playable or better in any other way?
Does anyone have long term experience with either kit?

Would love any help, thank you all in advance for just reading this far!

electrodrummer

1. What's your actual budget? You state a "£" figure, so assume you're in the UK.
2. "Tourtech" (who?) is cheaper for a reason.
3. TD1 is an entry level kit and has limitations. It's far better to buy 2nd hand and get a higher model Roland or Yamaha. "Buy your 2nd kit first"

bucksend

What would you say the limitations of the Roland kit are? Considering it will only ever be a practice kit.

My budget is around £400, would keep my eye out for a used Roland and TourTech kits have been around a couple of years now(in the UK at least) and the company has been around a lot longer making equipment(mainly instrument cases). I've seen no horror stories and from what I can tell they are a real contender in the beginner market.

Yes you get what you pay for, but I just want something playable, I don't need 1000 voices or midi controll.

electrodrummer

Limitations of entry kits are mainly expansion options...adding or changing pads, for example.

Tourtech will just be badging a Chinese Medeli kit, like the Millennium from Thomann or the Fame from whoever, etc. . Many companies have had a play in that area ...
They break quite easily. (No too bad to resolder/ replace piezos but still a pain)

(You'll get MIDI in all kits you're looking at)

bucksend

Ok thanks, that no I'll just keep an eye on eBay.

Still keen to hear from anyone with any TourTech experience.

Nick74

TourTech = Medeli = sh!tty latency (very bad for triggering external samplers from a computer)