Total newbie seeking advice

Cypher

Hi all,

Short preamble - I'm 27. Recently bought Guitar Hero World Tour (yeah, I know that it's lame :) ) mostly because of the drums - I always wanted to try playing drums. Got hooked on it and now I'm considering buying a real drumset (unfortunately, because of the fact that I live in a flat, I can only "afford" electronic drums). But as I have zero experience I also decided to buy a proper learning package. So I started looking online and found this "Learn & Master Drums".

What I want to know if anyone has got any experience with it and if yes, then is it really worth 150$ (plus 35$ shipping to UK)? I don't want to spend that much. To be honest, I already started ordering it but when I saw the shipping cost I started thinking about finding something else, cheaper...

Or maybe someone could suggest me something else (read better)? Something that would teach me from the very basics on how to hold the stick, how to move hands, what is a fill, etc. I don't know anything about it :) It shouldn't neccessarily be one whole package, it could consist of different DVDs but the result would be the same.

Speaking about drums, I kind of stopped at Session Pro DD506 (it costs 340£ here in UK). Again - is it worth this money or is there anything better out there? I can't find any good reviews that would review this set from inside out. The same about "Learn & Master Drums" - all reviews look like they all just got copied from their homepage.

Last edited:
Hey,
Welcome to the world of drumming (hopefully). I know little about electronic kits but I'm guessing for now you only need the very basics.
As far as learning goes, if you have long term money I would most definitley get lessons at your local shop or wherever you can. They help a lot more than dvds because your teacher can demonstrate what you are doing wrong and how you can fix it. They can also lead you to good books. If you must go the dvd route, I heard Tommy igoe's dvd is good, but it might be a little advanced.
Happy Drumming

Heyy,
When i first started i got an icon drum set it's a little crappy one but it was enough to get me hooked, I then got my first acoustic drum set BUT for you, you could get an electric maybe a roland or yamaha (thats a safe bet) they are brilliant for learning!

I would surgest you get lessons by some book and dvd's it's a great way to start and make sure you develop your syle and type of playing that will help you alot but don't forget to play other genres of music aswell.

Hope this has helped

Tris

I recently bought the DD505 (£300), and it's a fine kit. Like you I'm new to drumming too, and for that price I don't see any reason not to get the DD506 if that's the price you're looking for.

I believe the DD506 added things like rimshots, cymbal choking, an optional double pedal, and some other things I forget. Go for it if you can. Although I only have the 505, I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have regarding it.

I'd get a few lessons before buying a kit. Find a music shop that does on-site lessons, as they'll probably have a student kit set up. That may help you decide what you need, as well as give you an idea of how serious a drum student you plan to be, which will also factor into what you buy. Plus, you'll have the obvious advantage of someone with experience to help you figure things out.

Also, realize that some teachers also work at the music store, and may try to sell you more than you need.

Hi all,

Short preamble - I'm 27. Recently bought Guitar Hero World Tour (yeah, I know that it's lame :) ) mostly because of the drums - I always wanted to try playing drums. Got hooked on it and now I'm considering buying a real drumset (unfortunately, because of the fact that I live in a flat, I can only "afford" electronic drums). But as I have zero experience I also decided to buy a proper learning package. So I started looking online and found this "Learn & Master Drums".

What I want to know if anyone has got any experience with it and if yes, then is it really worth 150$ (plus 35$ shipping to UK)? I don't want to spend that much. To be honest, I already started ordering it but when I saw the shipping cost I started thinking about finding something else, cheaper...

Or maybe someone could suggest me something else (read better)? Something that would teach me from the very basics on how to hold the stick, how to move hands, what is a fill, etc. I don't know anything about it :) It shouldn't neccessarily be one whole package, it could consist of different DVDs but the result would be the same.

Speaking about drums, I kind of stopped at Session Pro DD506 (it costs 340£ here in UK). Again - is it worth this money or is there anything better out there? I can't find any good reviews that would review this set from inside out. The same about "Learn & Master Drums" - all reviews look like they all just got copied from their homepage.

''Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer'' - Jojo Mayer (everything you should know about hand techniques)

''Unburying the Beater'' - Matt Ritter (everything you should know about foot techniques)

''Stick Control for the Snare Drummer'' - George Lawrence Stone (Bible for sticking patterns)

''4-Way Coordination: A Method Book for the Development of Complete Independence on the Drum Set'' - Marvin Dahlgren, Elliot Fin ( book that will lead you to solid coordination from simple linear patterns to nasty ''4 limb polyrhythms'' ;) )

What music would you like to play? There is tons of beat books and DVDs, so without knowing your preferences can suggest to check out:

''Groove Essentials'' - Tommy Igoe or

''Hands, Grooves & Fills'' - Pat Petrillo

Thanks guys! All comments are greatly appreciated!

Speaking about how serious I will be - I don't know. The thing is that I never had a strong interest in any musical instrument until I was around 18-20 although I have the musical hearing and perfect sense of rhythm. But then I started to feel sorry for not being able to play anything. And slowly but steadily I have decided by 90% that I want to learn to play some musical instrument in my life. Currently my choice lies between a guitar and drums. I realize that drums are a bit more expensive but I think I fancy them a bit more than a guitar.

I think I'll make myself a Christmas present and get this one: Session Pro DD506 Digital Drum Kit + STOOL & HEADPHONES. The more I think the more I want :)

What music would you like to play? There is tons of beat books and DVDs, so without knowing your preferences can suggest to check out:

Again, I'm ashamed to say but I don't know. I would say different styles - rocky, jazzy some metal maybe. Everything. So that I can improvize too when I just want to have some fun.

Back