Tosco by Sabian?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So what's the word on these Tosco by Sabian cymbals?

I saw this on eBay today, and it seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for without spending alot of money just to have for the double bass kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-TOSCO-SH...043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e696ddafb

Anyone know if these sound any good? $50 too good to be true? I'd ultimately like a big 24" Zildjian Swish, but who's got $500 lying around?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

GruntersDad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
From the Pearl Forum.

Back in the 80s, the Italian made Tosco Cymbals were sold in the States as a "budget" cymbals. They were like a "poor man's K" type thing. They had a very low & dry, hand-hammered quality which is excellent for Jazz. I bought an entire set : 20" 18" 16" 14" hihat. I still have them stored, and though I now use Ks exclusively, I love these Toscos.

In the 90s Tosco was bought out by Sabian, and they produced "Tosco by Sabian" series. After that another company took over, but I cannot remember the name. This company agressively promoted Tosco Cymbals for a very short preriod of time. The cymbals were reviewed on Modern Drummer magazine, and I remember full-page ads as well. But this effort was short lived. All the sudden Tosco disappeared, and I never heard about them again.

Today, it's really hard to come across these Toscos on market. On eBay I pay close attention to Tosco. They are rare, inexpensive but in my opinion very excellent quality. I just got another 20" Ride from eBay for $60 and I just love it..

sacco

Well, since I am not very young (...), I perfectly remember that Tosco cymbals were widely used in Italy during the 80s. Actually, it is true that they were a kind of Zildjian second line (Tosco belonged to Zildjian), but, at least in Italy, they were not considered cheap cymbals at all. Some Italian big names played them and I also remember that Charlie Watts used a Tosco China (or Swish) model for years.

If you are interested in Tosco's sound, have a look at this video: Tullio De Piscopo with Pino Daniele in 1983 (!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaFrOl_L7QY

Please do not forget it was the 80s, but believe me, I could attend one of the concerts of this tour and I was really impressed by De Piscopo's playing and by his kit and cymbals (hey, it was 1983, and I was still playing a small Slingerland kit with a couple of cymbals ...)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, since I am not very young (...), I perfectly remember that Tosco cymbals were widely used in Italy during the 80s. Actually, it is true that they were a kind of Zildjian second line (Tosco belonged to Zildjian), but, at least in Italy, they were not considered cheap cymbals at all. Some Italian big names played them and I also remember that Charlie Watts used a Tosco China (or Swish) model for years.

If you are interested in Tosco's sound, have a look at this video: Tullio De Piscopo with Pino Daniele in 1983 (!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaFrOl_L7QY

Please do not forget it was the 80s, but believe me, I could attend one of the concerts of this tour and I was really impressed by De Piscopo's playing and by his kit and cymbals (hey, it was 1983, and I was still playing a small Slingerland kit with a couple of cymbals ...)

Thanks for that clip! Two things I learned from that video:

1) Toscos (then) sounded a little dry, but acceptable
2) If you're an aging guy gaining weight (which I'm becoming, slowly), don't wear sleeve-less shirts.

sacco

Thanks for that clip! Two things I learned from that video:

1) Toscos (then) sounded a little dry, but acceptable
2) If you're an aging guy gaining weight (which I'm becoming, slowly), don't wear sleeve-less shirts.

Hi Bo, I fully agree on both things, and I stopped wearing sleeve-less shirts a while ago ... Just kidding, I can still wear them (ehm ... well, if they are not too small ...)