Torn calf muscle

Derek

Silver Member
Like the title says. About a week and a half ago while driving home from work my pickup truck (Ranger) broke down. Coasted into a business driveway and lost monentum, so I had to get out and push. Heard a loud and painful pop in my right calf (yeah, the "bass drum foot").

So for the last (almost) two weeks I've been out of commission on the kit, and the Doc has me on leave from work through the day after Thanksgiving. Looks like I'll be spending some time on the practice pad. Oh well, it could have been far worse.

Pointless rant, but felt the desire to vent a little among fellow drummers. Thanks for listening.

kallewille

Like the title says. About a week and a half ago while driving home from work my pickup truck (Ranger) broke down. Coasted into a business driveway and lost monentum, so I had to get out and push. Heard a loud and painful pop in my right calf (yeah, the "bass drum foot").

So for the last (almost) two weeks I've been out of commission on the kit, and the Doc has me on leave from work through the day after Thanksgiving. Looks like I'll be spending some time on the practice pad. Oh well, it could have been far worse.

Pointless rant, but felt the desire to vent a little among fellow drummers. Thanks for listening.
Sounds like you should put a kick drum on your left foot! Or at least set up a bass drum pedal to develop some independence.

Sorry to read about the misfortune. I guess the silver lining is the truck didn't come back, roll over you, and cause further damage.

Hope you have a quick and full recovery!

Derek

Silver Member
Sounds like you should put a kick drum on your left foot! Or at least set up a bass drum pedal to develop some independence.

Sorry to read about the misfortune. I guess the silver lining is the truck didn't come back, roll over you, and cause further damage.

Hope you have a quick and full recovery!
Thanks kallewille! Each time that I described the type of pain and the VERY audible pop!..to a doctor or other medical team member they winced / grimaced. Said that I described the classic symptom of a ruptured Achilles, so yeah, there are a couple of ways this could have gone further south.

Thanks for the suggestion and for the good wishes.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Being out of commission must suck.

On a related note, I'm scheduled to get 'snipped' in a couple months. 2 kids is enough for me! I wonder if I'll be out of commission, and for how long.

Derek

Silver Member
I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Being out of commission must suck.

On a related note, I'm scheduled to get 'snipped' in a couple months. 2 kids is enough for me! I wonder if I'll be out of commission, and for how long.

Thanks KamaK. Wishing you the best on your procedure. As far as out of commission, I get the idea yours is something different... :)

WallyY

Platinum Member
I feel your pain!
I had that happen to me while at the top of a mountain. I thought a rock fell on me until I realised what happened.
It took me three hours to get to my car.

Get well.

Bonefrost

Bummer dude.
I know that "pop" sound and it's never good.
Nice to hear youre doing ok.Just let it heal.

Dunno your age or injury history,but you should be ok if you let it properly heal.Give it a little time to heal.

BNZ

Derek

Silver Member
Muscle tears must heal on their own. Unlike ligaments, they cannot be repaired surgically. As my Orthopedic Surgeon put it, "it's like trying to sew hamburger."

Hopefully I'll be getting back up and about by Thanksgiving weekend (the injury at this point is nearly 2 weeks old).

shemp

Silver Member
Sorry to hear it man....I know I would be very bummed having to be off the kit so hang in there and let yourself heal properly. The work on the pad will pay big dividends so all is not lost and you can keep moving forward.

Derek

Silver Member
Thanks for all of the well wishes folks; I really appreciate it! Looking forward to getting back on both feet and back on the kit.

Notbob

Localized tenderness for a couple of days. No big deal unless you love daily workouts using a trampoline or a pommel horse. If it's worse than that then you have a lousy doc.

I've torn calf muscles in both legs over the years. Not fun but they will heal. Muscles heal a lot faster than tendons so that's the good news.