Top 5 Top Lines for Melodic Solos

Sutor

Hi all, I hope everyone is well.

I've recently been discovering a more melodic approach to the drums and adding more musical value to my practise time. On the advice of a good friend of mine I have started taking top line melodies from famous tunes (particularly jazz tunes) and then using them as a basis for a melodic drum solo, playing the rhythm of the melody on the snare drum say and then building it from there, introducing the toms and then seeing where my own ideas take me.
I have found this method to start bringing the fun back into playing for me and I can't believe it has taken me this long to realise what I had been missing out on for all these years, melody and music! I've finally started to begin to understand why so many of the greats were so great, because of their ability to use the drums in a melodic and musical fashion. Max Roach, Philly Jo, Papa Jo, Elvin to name but a few.

Anyway, at the moment I have been picking tunes at random, for example Take the 'A' Train by Duke Ellington to adapt. It's a great melody and a fun starting point to develop into a solo. I would love to see some of your top five suggestions for fun melodies to work with, especially from the real jazzers of the forum.

The list doesn't have to consist of jazz numbers by any means. I once developed a fun drum solo from singing the Flinstones in my head! Anything goes as long as it's catchy!

If you have more than five ideas, feel free to carry on.

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

A

Anthony Amodeo

The list doesn't have to consist of jazz numbers by any means. I once developed a fun drum solo from singing the Flinstones in my head! Anything goes as long as it's catchy!

what do you think the Flintstones theme is?

a jazz number indeed

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Where's Andrew? He's our expert on this subject. I'd start with Charlie Parker tunes (like Billie's Bounce, Yardbird Suite, Donna Lee, Confirmation, Scrapple, etc) and Monk tunes (like Straight No Chaser, Blue Monk, In Walked Bud, Nutty, etc). See what you can do with them.

Sutor

Where's Andrew? He's our expert on this subject. I'd start with Charlie Parker tunes (like Billie's Bounce, Yardbird Suite, Donna Lee, Confirmation, Scrapple, etc) and Monk tunes (like Straight No Chaser, Blue Monk, In Walked Bud, Nutty, etc). See what you can do with them.
Thanks Todd, that's great :)

dmacc_2

This....almost exactly are the songs I started with.

Add Oleo, Now's The Time and My Little Suede Shoes to the mix and it'd be complete.

I posted these two links in another thread but here's someone who is a master at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDITFrf0PLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SctD6hDBphs