TOP 20 DRUM INTROS OF ALL TIME (Rick Beato)

newoldie

Silver Member
Not that I agree with the choices-- but as usual, Rick's videos are fun and instructive. Here, he has a friend of his, Jack Jones, play out the first few measures live of each intro.

I enjoyed the video, as I do pretty much all of Rick's vids, but I was astonished that the intro to "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" only made the honorable mentions and not the #1 slot. Uriel Jones's (I think? I'd long assumed it was Benny Benjamin but I think I've read that it was Jones and not Benjamin or Pistol Allen) intro is, to my ears, the greatest drum intro to any song ever, and seem to fulfill what Beato lays out at the beginning of his video what a great drum intro should do. Hard to quibble with any of his choices, except this exclusion was pretty glaring, I thought.

To me, this one deserves mentioning on the level of 50 ways. Instantly recognizable, creative, reflects Simon's personal style and setup and was the first song we heard after he joined the band. Also shows my age, I guess.

I really enjoy Ricks videos.
On this one I responded with, not one intro newer than 2 decades. A testament or should I say, the non-testament to the current music?

Great idea !
Though it's funny not to mention Come together (Beatles), Black Night (Purple) or ... Painkiller (Judas)...
Anyway I love the sound on this video, the drums sounded gorgeous.

That was a lot of fun! I would like to have seen Commodore's "Brick House" included, but obviously he had to narrow it down somehow.

My only real gripe is that the intro to "Rock and Roll" is NOT played correctly.

My only real gripe is that the intro to "Rock and Roll" is NOT played correctly.

"Walk This Way", the bass drum part, wasn't right either. It was noticeable. And his tempos felt a bit fast on a lot of the stuff IMO.

"Roseanna" sounded nice.

Rick's videos are consistently entertaining.

My pick for overlooked intros would be Deep Purple's "Fireball"

"Walk This Way", the bass drum part, wasn't right either. It was noticeable.

Yes and it was really strange ! He nailed hot for teachers but failed on Walk this way !

For Honorable Mention, I think the intro to "Honky Tonk Woman" is more iconic than "Billy Jean."

The inclusion of Billie Jean is a he'd scratcher for me. The song has a deserved place in drumming lore as an example of less being more, and the importance of playing a simple part with authority, but it's just not a great drum intro.

Hmm. I thought Rosanna was the worst one, but I think criticising stuff like this misses the point.

Mysterious lack of the 20th Century Fox roll off.

I thought he played it great...

Last edited:
The inclusion of Billie Jean is a he'd scratcher for me. The song has a deserved place in drumming lore as an example of less being more, and the importance of playing a simple part with authority, but it's just not a great drum intro.

Perhaps not great from a technical aspect or having a recognizable 'hook', but it's definitely iconic. When you hear it, you immediately know the song.

Bermuda

I think "Come Together" is one of the greatest drum parts in history, groundbreaking, imaginative and incisive, and one of the many, many arguments for Ringo's important and greatness. But it's not really an intro, given that guitar, bass and vocals all also come in at the same time.

But I was surprised that "She Loves You" wasn't there as, again, it fit all his criteria, was massively popular, is still insanely well-known, and would have been perhaps the earlier example on the list.

(Although, speaking of: no "Peggy Sue"? )

Perhaps not great from a technical aspect or having a recognizable 'hook', but it's definitely iconic. When you hear it, you immediately know the song.

Bermuda
I think the walking bass line is the bigger hook than the drums.

Everyone always has their song that didn't make the list, but what about Owner of a Lonely Heart???!!

"Walk This Way", the bass drum part, wasn't right either. It was noticeable. And his tempos felt a bit fast on a lot of the stuff IMO.

"Roseanna" sounded nice.

Rick's videos are consistently entertaining.

My pick for overlooked intros would be Deep Purple's "Fireball"

Amazing that I missed the bass drum part on "Walk This Way." I'll blame it on the laptop speakers, lol.

"Tomorrow Never Knows" ????? Do we not count the sitar coming in first?

The sound of the Levee Break :love:

Back