Top 10 Led Zeppelin Songs for Drums

I've edited my post accordingly.

The main part of the song is pretty simple. But in Bonham fashion, he hides these little intricacies in there that make you scratch your head and go what was that? Its definitely easier than a lot of what else is listed.

For example at 1:24 and 3:58 he does the same hats 2 kick lick. But in terms of where it is, at 1:24 it starts the 2nd verse. At 3:58 it's in the chorus*. Just things like that. The pattern isn't exact either. It changes a bit. It's still a fun song though, dont let me stop you from learning it.

Funny no one has mentioned Moby Dick yet. Site full of drummers, no Moby Dick ?.

*EDIT: That's wrong. Its toward the end of the third verse. My bad.

Last edited:
All of My Love is a bit trickier than you would think. Some of the fills have a falling down the stairs feel to them, some are quick triplet runs, and dont forget the big off time cymbal crashing disaster at the end. It's a fun song, but definitely not as straight forward as it may seem.

Yes it is. Despise the song, but like all great drummers like Carter B. And Stew they make it listenable

Now I'm wondering, what are a handful of easier Led Zeppelin songs to learn? I'm thinking "Your Time is Gonna Come" and "All My Love" are a couple of them is one. Any others?

Ramble On is not too difficult.

I think @Pietro Valente deserves a nod for not only starting another thread on Bonham (which is always a good time), but for putting together a well thought out and well put together video. I thought he did a solid job playing, and I really enjoyed his analysis of each song and the criteria he thinks needs to be met in order to play it. Ordering them by increasing difficulty was also a nice touch.

Now I'm wondering, what are a handful of easier Led Zeppelin songs to learn? I'm thinking "Your Time is Gonna Come" and "All My Love" are a couple of them is one. Any others?

EDIT: because @MrInsanePolack probably knows better.
For me, Immigrant’s Song is relatively “easy”. Get the bass drum part down and it’s pretty smooth sailing-and a lot of fun.

Heartbreaker is a pretty straight up rocker too.

I confess that the harder Bonham stuff eludes me to this day. Just can’t get past some of the timing quirks and never had to learn any of it for covers so I usually stay with the “easy” stuff.

For me, Immigrant’s Song is relatively “easy”. Get the bass drum part down and it’s pretty smooth sailing-and a lot of fun.

Heartbreaker is a pretty straight up rocker too.

I confess that the harder Bonham stuff eludes me to this day. Just can’t get past some of the timing quirks and never had to learn any of it for covers so I usually stay with the “easy” stuff.

So how do you go with the intro to Rock 'n Roll??

I don’t....got frustrated with it thirty years ago and gave up...lol.

I mean I could probably force myself to focus and get the intro close but from a practical standpoint I would not be confident playing that song not because of the intro-but because of the outro of Rock and Roll

I mean I could probably force myself to focus and get the intro close but from a practical standpoint I would not be confident playing that song not because of the intro-but because of the outro of Rock and Roll

I couldn't figure it out until I learned that the first note is not "one". It starts out "E and a one".

My top 10 drum list would include Achilles last stand.

The whole damn song frustrates the bajingus outta me.

I reckon the intro and the straight eights on the snare could be cool to play it open handed.

The whole damn song frustrates the bajingus outta me.

I reckon the intro and the straight eights on the snare could be cool to play it open handed.

What’s he doing with his bass drum on the album, I always learnt it as 8 beats to the bar right the way though making it pretty tough.

All my Led Zep needs are completely filled by 1 & 2....

Truly at their best songwriting wise and the raw energy in those first two albums was never found on the later releases.
Let’s not forget that a considerable number of songs on their first two albums (and, sadly, other albums too) were ripped off from other artists. So, no, not their best song writing at all.
Pete

Let’s not forget that a considerable number of songs on their first two albums (and, sadly, other albums too) were ripped off from other artists. So, no, not their best song writing at all.
Pete
Well I knew the busting of my balls would come sooner or later...lol. Surprised at how much later honestly...lol.

Ok....let’s see if this passes your requirements then.

“They did their best rearranging of other artists work which they stole at will, failed to give proper credit too, and were just plain mean to.”

How’s that?

Still *imo* their BEST two albums....

Thanks for playing and have a great day!

Well I knew the busting of my balls would come sooner or later...lol. Surprised at how much later honestly...lol.

OK, then I'm not sure why you'd say it. Look. I still own every single Zep studio LP + CODA (purchased in the 1980s). I was and remain a HUGE fan.

But I also have to be honest to reality. They were probably the worst band of their time (or one of) when it came to stealing other people's work. They were sued over and over again "settling out of court".

BTW, ever work with drug addicts? I have. The hallmark of a heroin addict is their incredible tendency to lie and steal. Jimmy Page 101. (To be fair, all four had legendary problems with addiction at one time or another)

Incredible musicians. Poor quality human beings. And yet, I still love their music.

Reality sucks sometimes, commence to throwing the hate.

Thumbs up to the OP and thread though. Always amazed to the point of shaking my head when I listen to Bonham's drum work.

Pete

Edit - here's a good place to start:

Pete

Well in about 1.5 years (Jan 1969 - Oct 1970) they produced 3 albums. That's very fast for a new act. I count 9 of 10 on Led Zep III, 6 of 9 songs on Led Zep II , and 5 of 9 on Led Zep I, were not 'rip-offs' or 'blues copies' but totally their own work.

From a drumming standpoint, it's inaccurate to differentiate between easy versus intricate Zeppelin tracks. Doing so confuses the concept of a beat with that of a groove. A beat is a mere numerical suggestion, a series of notes governed by a time signature and organized in measures. Any decent drummer can play a beat with proficiency. A groove, on the other hand, is a unique crafting and execution of a beat, shaped by each drummer's singular persona. No one, and I do mean no one, can replicate, in exquisite detail, the mysterious elements of Bonham's grooves, no matter how simple his beats may be. Abandon the pursuit before you disappoint yourself. Zeppelin songs are to be admired, not covered. I've never heard a good Zeppelin cover in my life.

Poor Tom.

That train beat.........ohhhhhhh!
And a train beat that can frustrate you while trying to sync up the snare and bass drum/hi hat correctly- it goes on forever in the song, so don't blow it!
But-- an incredible coordination exercise (I've been working on for over a year and it never ceases to challenge me:cool:). How did he get these grooves down so well?

And a train beat that can frustrate you while trying to sync up the snare and bass drum/hi hat correctly- it goes on forever in the song, so don't blow it!
But-- an incredible coordination exercise (I've been working on for over a year and it never ceases to challenge me:cool:). How did he get these grooves down so well?

I can just picture it.........

"I've got this groove guys, check it out".......

Booda buddah booda buddah bup bub bub bub.

Done!

Unbelievable.

Back