Top 10 Led Zeppelin Songs for Drums

Benthedrummer

And a train beat that can frustrate you while trying to sync up the snare and bass drum/hi hat correctly- it goes on forever in the song, so don't blow it!
But-- an incredible coordination exercise (I've been working on for over a year and it never ceases to challenge me:cool:). How did he get these grooves down so well?
I can just picture it.........

"I've got this groove guys, check it out".......

Booda buddah booda buddah bup bub bub bub.

Done!

Unbelievable.

Mongrel

Silver Member
OK, then I'm not sure why you'd say it. Look. I still own every single Zep studio LP + CODA (purchased in the 1980s). I was and remain a HUGE fan.

But I also have to be honest to reality. They were probably the worst band of their time (or one of) when it came to stealing other people's work. They were sued over and over again "settling out of court".

BTW, ever work with drug addicts? I have. The hallmark of a heroin addict is their incredible tendency to lie and steal. Jimmy Page 101. (To be fair, all four had legendary problems with addiction at one time or another)

Incredible musicians. Poor quality human beings. And yet, I still love their music.

Reality sucks sometimes, commence to throwing the hate.

Thumbs up to the OP and thread though. Always amazed to the point of shaking my head when I listen to Bonham's drum work.

Pete

Edit - here's a good place to start:

Thanks, but I don’t need to be “schooled” on Led Zep man...lol.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Well in about 1.5 years (Jan 1969 - Oct 1970) they produced 3 albums. That's very fast for a new act. I count 9 of 10 on Led Zep III, 6 of 9 songs on Led Zep II , and 5 of 9 on Led Zep I, were not 'rip-offs' or 'blues copies' but totally their own work.
Thank you, much appreciated...

Peedy

Well in about 1.5 years (Jan 1969 - Oct 1970) they produced 3 albums. That's very fast for a new act. I count 9 of 10 on Led Zep III, 6 of 9 songs on Led Zep II , and 5 of 9 on Led Zep I, were not 'rip-offs' or 'blues copies' but totally their own work.
Really? They ONLY had EIGHT rip offs on the first three albums?!? Professors of Ethics, they are. Come on.

Benthedrummer

OK, then I'm not sure why you'd say it. Look. I still own every single Zep studio LP + CODA (purchased in the 1980s). I was and remain a HUGE fan.

But I also have to be honest to reality. They were probably the worst band of their time (or one of) when it came to stealing other people's work. They were sued over and over again "settling out of court".

BTW, ever work with drug addicts? I have. The hallmark of a heroin addict is their incredible tendency to lie and steal. Jimmy Page 101. (To be fair, all four had legendary problems with addiction at one time or another)

Incredible musicians. Poor quality human beings. And yet, I still love their music.

Reality sucks sometimes, commence to throwing the hate.

Thumbs up to the OP and thread though. Always amazed to the point of shaking my head when I listen to Bonham's drum work.

Pete

Edit - here's a good place to start:

Far out!

I never knew this about LZ.

That link was a very interesting read.

newoldie

Silver Member
I can just picture it.........

"I've got this groove guys, check it out".......

Booda buddah booda buddah bup bub bub bub.

Done!

Unbelievable.
Yep, I marvel at that ability all the time. How Bonham could just "do it", like that.
I'm currently working on Good Times/Bad Times drum transcription-- foot coordination galore keeping hihat quarters going all the while. Plus, those bass drum doubles at the end are near impossible to land at that speed. Well worth the practice, but it might take years to master!:eek:

Mongrel

Silver Member
The way out when you make a bone headed statement like that is to simply say, "you're right man, that's on me. . . my bad"

Pete
Ahhh....Master Peedy, is that the best ya got lad?

Me mutter hits harder than that!

lol

opentune

Platinum Member
Really? They ONLY had EIGHT rip offs on the first three albums?!? Professors of Ethics, they are. Come on.
Hmmm.....You call them "Poor quality human beings?" when you have never met them, know nothing of these people on a personal level. That is a non-starter. Your shop is closed, so I'm out.

Last edited:

Peedy

Ahhh....Master Peedy, is that the best ya got lad?

Me mutter hits harder than that!

lol
Well, then riddle me this. First, why on earth would you say, "Truly at their best songwriting wise" when, for instance, their first album consisted of them having only a grand total 2 out of 9 songs being completely original music? (The below video is only supplied for context to those with a lesser expertise than yourself)

And Second, why jump on my case for revealing these things to the masses so that we can place Led Zeppelin in its actual context?

Ah, the mysteries of the universe.

I think @Pietro Valente deserves a nod for not only starting another thread on Bonham (which is always a good time), but for putting together a well thought out and well put together video. I thought he did a solid job playing, and I really enjoyed his analysis of each song and the criteria he thinks needs to be met in order to play it. Ordering them by increasing difficulty was also a nice touch.

Now I'm wondering, what are a handful of easier Led Zeppelin songs to learn? I'm thinking "Your Time is Gonna Come" and "All My Love" are a couple of them is one. Any others?

EDIT: because @MrInsanePolack probably knows better.
Thanks for appreciating my work, indeed I try to evaluate stat very carefully.

felonious69

Call me a novice (I just started a couple weeks ago), I am, but I always loved the Song remains the same version of the song remains the same. I think mostly because I generally prefer live music, especially with EXPERT improvisationalists After reading some posts, I went and listened to it again, just to make sure, and yes, it sounds phenomenal to me! The guitar is ... Excellent!, The bass is unbelievable, and the timing and the Bonzo-esque pounding are OMG! Just a beginner's opinion.

C.M. Jones

HOW!?!? did he do the triple kicks so fast and so frequently?
He's John Bonham. He invented the bass drum. It followed his orders, not the other way around.

Really, to the best of my knowledge, Bonham used a combination of techniques on the bass pedal: sometimes heel up, sometimes heel down, and sometimes a sliding motion that incorporated the two. There are lots of ways to approach the bass pedal. I'm almost exclusively a heel-up player. That's just how I've always been most comfortable.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
From a drumming standpoint, it's inaccurate to differentiate between easy versus intricate Zeppelin tracks. Doing so confuses the concept of a beat with that of a groove. A beat is a mere numerical suggestion, a series of notes governed by a time signature and organized in measures. Any decent drummer can play a beat with proficiency. A groove, on the other hand, is a unique crafting and execution of a beat, shaped by each drummer's singular persona. No one, and I do mean no one, can replicate, in exquisite detail, the mysterious elements of Bonham's grooves, no matter how simple his beats may be.

Well said. I think that eludes a lot of drummers. They think if they can play the notes they nailed it. LOL