Tool Cover inside!

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Hey everybody!

Here is my rendition of Tool's Vicarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtfE1ACn6D0

This is actually my third full take on this song, and this song kept giving problems. The first take the audio kept dropping out when I was recording, but I got through 1 full take only to realize the cameras weren't on. Second full take was easy (audio problem had been fixed) but now the cord to my floor tom wasn't connected properly and the only sound I would get out of that channel was static. Argh. Anywho one full take later I think I got it working pretty good.

Anywho please feel free to give me any comments or criticism!

-Jonathan

Whoohoo Jonathan, you totally nailed that. Very classy & crisp. Tasty fills at 2:48 & 2:55 plus a cool ending. Quite simply one of the best and cleanest heavy rock drum covers I've seen in a long time. Great stuff!

Thanks for all the compliments guys, but you are all apparently wrong. As that one gentleman correctly pointed out I missed some ghost notes... the whole performance is ruined!!! jk.

@biggyk do you mean tool covers or covers in general? yeah I most deffinitely will, any requests?

-Jonathan

p.s. *bump*

Thanks for all the compliments guys, but you are all apparently wrong. As that one gentleman correctly pointed out I missed some ghost notes... the whole performance is ruined!!! jk.

Killer job, very difficult song to play, plus you made it look easy. Keep up the great work.

I read that comment. Those pesky ghost notes and cymbal craches, W.T.F was that all about. I bet even Danny plays that song a little different live from time to time. Don't let jealous assholes ruin your day. again Great stuff.

Awesome job man.

My requests: Stinkfist or Jimmy (Hard job this one!)

Amazing playing! Either you're a total natural or you work extremely hard. Either way, I'm very impressed.

Ghost notes.? Are you kidding me.? That was great in my book. You tube is not the place to gain much proper criticism. I did a small video to test a new camera, and was told I didn't play with enough power. Keep doing what you are doing and leave the ghost notes to find their own way.

@Yesdog, Haha its all good, I know i was just trying to be funny. Actually the first thought I had once I read that (my first "negative" comment on youtube by the way) was "what? thats all I missed?!? Thank goodness!

@Max77, I don't think I've heard either of them (except Stinkfist which I think they played live at the show I went to last July). Which album(s) are they on?

@Fuzrock, A bit of both maybe? Thanks!

@The Mayor, Thanks for watching! yeah, If I want honest opinions of my playing I post it here! Not enough power? Bah! he plays with too much! That reminds me of a story Simon Phillips told at a drum clinic of his a attended in 2008. He said that one day before a show when he was tuning up a tom (his high tom) a man who had snuch in the audience grabbed SP's attention and promply told him that his tom was tuned much too high. Simon quickly responded with "And you are..."
Made me laugh!

-Jonathan

Jonathan, please ignor any Youtube comments. Someone commented on one of my head selection clips and said my drumming was awesome. Ha ha, clearly completely deranged!

Seriously, just listened to your clip again. Gets better each time I listen to it. A truly top job! Mucho kudos for your crisp reserved style. Just enough in there to pump it up, but never so much as to detract. Pure quality!

Not my music, but that was some very nice playing. You made it look easy and sound very tasty. Great Job!

@Fuo, Excellent, all I have is 10,000 Days and Lateralus, but that will be the next album I buy!

@KIS, Don't be so hard on yourself, I love your playing! Thanks so much for the compliments!

@Coldhardsteel, Thanks for the watch, Tool is definitely a great band to get into. Yeah in my opinion the missed ghost notes didn't take anything away from the song but that's just my opinion. He is allowed to have an opinion however wrong it may be. jk. To be honest his comment doesn't bother me at all, in fact I welcome all critism. And in regards to eq'ing, yeah its not my thing...

@aydee, Thanks for watching!! I appreciate it!

-Jonathan

I know how annoying it can be to have to re-do a take because of a problematic microphone!

The drum cover sounded amazing, every note was perfect in timing and played with extreme confidence. I always think that an important part of the art of drumming is having good visual appeal as well as sound, you make this song look just so effortless, it just makes it so enjoyable to watch as a video. You're seriously a brilliant drummer, you should be a professional or something.

Back