Too Old To Play???

Tony Trout

I know this is a stupid question and I'm not trying at all to pad my post count but....do any of you drummers ever think that there comes a time in a person's life when they're too old to seriously start playing drums?

Also, some of you know that I was born with Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus. I now have developed arthritis in my back & legs. Is playing drums a fairly good exercise for keeping any pain that arises at a minimum? Will drumming affect the arthritis in any way or vice-versa as I grow older (I'm currently 39 and just now seriously being bitten by the drum bug after seeing some friends' Ludwig blue sparkle drum kits they've built as a tribute to their favorite drummer and mine, Ronnie Tutt)??

Jesus, I hope not. (I'm 40 lol). But seriously, I don't think you're ever too old to play drums. Granted I'm no medical expert but I can't think that the impact of hitting stuff can be any good for the joints but that's why we refine our playing as we age to lessen that impact. After a 2 or 3 hour session I'm definitely feeling it in the joints of my fingers, wrists, and elbows but I'll do whatever it takes to alleviate these minor hurdles to keep playing. For example, I've gone to using a lighter stick (2B to 5B) and trying not to hit as hard as I have in the past and that's helped a bit. I've also found that if I pop some Aleve beforehand it lessens the nuisance of joint pain a considerable amount. I just love it too much! Keep going bro!

I don't think one is ever too old for anything, except maybe running for president. Basically, your body will tell you when it is time to stop any activity of any kind. It simply gets too painful or you no longer can do certain movements.

Regarding your arthritis and drumming, I would consult a physician, for expert medical advice, not advice here.

I'm 77 and still gigging about 2 to 3 times a month, not the kind of music I would like but i'm still playing.

I think *some* people can fit the old dog / new tricks model, but it's not a given. It just depends on how receptive (youthful?) your mind is when it comes to picking up new things. Maybe older folks tend to get hung up on pride issues when faced with steep learning curves and appearing to be anything less than an expert in their chosen activities. I don't know, but I'm 48 and have taken up both guitar and bass in recent years and I get the same euphoria hit at even the prospect of playing for hours on end as I did taking up drums as a teen. It's all mindset, IMHO. Maybe I just don't care of someone thinks I look like an asshat! (True fact)

Physical issues should be addressed by the experts though. I got nothing there.

61 and still discovering what I am all about, the musicians I play with seem to like my playing because I guess I am settled in as it were.
I have been playing more in the last 15 years than I did previously.
It can be a very healthy thing for you as well, not just physically but in a spiritual way as well if music is your love. You do not have to gig to enjoy the benefits. Once you get the bug; there is no turning back. Play on brother.

(I have some arthritis so I have found a way to not be rigid in any particular grip and move freely from one comfortable one to the next as I feel the stiffness, it is just something that developed on it's own, for example if I am riding on the cymbal for long periods of time I use my pinkies as the fulcrum and this will ease up the stress on your fingers)

I turned 51 last month and like Bruce I have played more in the last 10 years than I did in the first 25. I have osteoarthritis but it doesn't seem to affect my playing too greatly (I'm not as fast around the kit as I was in my younger days, but then again I am not trying to play Motorhead anymore either), however it has played hell on loading and unloading gear. To compensate I just use a better moving cart and cut down on the non-essential gear.

I figure in about ten years I may be more crippled up, but I'll keep playing as long as I have my wits about me and others can put up with my crap!

I know this is a stupid question and I'm not trying at all to pad my post count but....do any of you drummers ever think that there comes a time in a person's life when they're too old to seriously start playing drums?

Also, some of you know that I was born with Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus. I now have developed arthritis in my back & legs. Is playing drums a fairly good exercise for keeping any pain that arises at a minimum? Will drumming affect the arthritis in any way or vice-versa as I grow older (I'm currently 39 and just now seriously being bitten by the drum bug after seeing some friends' Ludwig blue sparkle drum kits they've built as a tribute to their favorite drummer and mine, Ronnie Tutt)??

I'm 77 and still gigging about 2 to 3 times a month, not the kind of music I would like but i'm still playing.

Tutt is 77 and still playing also. What a way to stay young, get cardio, and exercise- playing drums, how cool!

Will drumming affect the arthritis in any way or vice-versa as I grow older (I'm currently 39 and just now seriously being bitten by the drum bug...

Diet can offer some relief, also moving to the desert might help.

Go for it-never too young never too old. I fell in love with drumming at 10 then again at 40 and now I'm 60 and really feel like I'm just getting started and nothing would stop me from playing-almost daily. It's very therapeutic=just rough on the hearing so wear hearing protection. All kinds of studies demonstrate the positive benefits of learning and playing a musical instrument both physically and mentally. Enjoy yourself and get one of those Ludwig blue sparkle kits with some awesome sounding cymbals. Welcome to the drumming journey-you are going to love it.

Not too old but too sick. Arthritis comes or maybe a stroke and they can’t play anymore.

I'm not sure I'd call drumming good exercise in a therapeutic sense. I'd go so far as to say you have to go to some lengths to keep it from actually being bad for you. When drumming you spend too much time in one position, and one of the worst positions at that. Seated on a stool.

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, the same condition as Motley Crue's Mick Mars. But having just turned 50, I'm playing far better than ever, from exploring more complex fusion stuff to extreme metal with double bass north of 260 bpm.

But I pay a price for it. When I step away from the kit the pain in my hips is really bad. So in my experience, I can't say drumming in any way good exercise.

Exercise - yes. Good exercise? No.

Last edited:

Started afresh at 42 after something like a 15 year hiatus from drums and been in a gigging band now for two years and a bit.

Lucky to be gifted with generally good health, but I am a very unhealthy 25 stone. Truly, I am a giant. 6'3"" to carry it, but still....

It's the building it and pulling it down which tires me out. I could play the darned things all night.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Get that Too Old stuff out of your brain.
If you have the desire, go for it. It will enrich your life.
Enjoy.

When I was 20 I had a lesson wit the late great Jim Chapin who was over staying with my drum teacher Malcolm Garratt I think Jim was 82 at the time in 2004.

He could barely walk, sat down behind the kit, rolled about 50 years off (pardon the pun) and put them all onto me.

That guy had some of the fastest hands I've ever seen and he played with tree trunks too plus he was such a cool guy! Age is a number when it comes to drumming.

I think drummers get better with age.

When I was 20 I had a lesson wit the late great Jim Chapin who was over staying with my drum teacher Malcolm Garratt I think Jim was 82 at the time in 2004.

He could barely walk, sat down behind the kit, rolled about 50 years off (pardon the pun) and put them all onto me.

That guy had some of the fastest hands I've ever seen and he played with tree trunks too plus he was such a cool guy! Age is a number when it comes to drumming.

I think drummers get better with age.

That is a great point. With the exception of vocalists, I think all other musicians have the capability of continuing to improve - even into old age.

Yeah! That's what I like to hear!

I saw Joe Clay playing at 67 years old, and he was kicking ass. I saw Max Roach perform when he was about 70 and he was amazing.

These are the kind of guys that inspire me, knowing that I can learn and grow with the drums for the rest of my life if I choose (and, of course, I stay reasonably healthy...but I think drumming itself is a means to that end).

I'm 62 years old and have been playing semi-regularly since I was sixteen years old. Started playing when I was eight. I also have arthritis and a degenerative spine disorder with numerous surgeries behind me. I moan and groan when setting up the drum set, moan and groan when breaking down the drum set, but when I'm playing I feel like I'm forty years younger. My speed and endurance have suffered over the last few years, but my playing is still strong and accurate. Should you start playing now? You should have started yesterday!!!!! Welcome to the fold.

GeeDeeEmm

Back