Too old to Play Drums

This reminds me of a funny story. Got pulled over and the police officer didn't believe my drivers license-which I was 28. He said it's fake and I'm not even old enough to drive-my passenger 34 year girl friend at the time had to convince the officer I was actually 28. Man talk about steal your manhood-she kept teasing me about it. Called me "Arhoo" her baby boy-her 14 year old daughter started calling me that too. I had to get steroid injections after that LOL-just kidding.

I went to a clinic with Shawn Pelton, (SNL band drummer, and currently 56 years old) and he talked a bit about doing the session for Kelly Clarkson's "Behind These Hazel Eyes." He said that there was a concern that he wasn't going to be able to bring a young, hi-energy vibe to it, and he was only 42 at the time. His playing said totally otherwise - you'd have no idea how old the drummer was listening to it - in your head you could very well imagine it to be a 20 year old kid thrashing that kit.

Another fun example was the Aly and AJ (Disney actresses Alyson and Amanda Michalka ) album "Into the Rush." While this record is a guilty pleasure of mine, I had it on my iPod because it was my daughter's music and that it made it easier to listen to what she wanted when we were in the car. In any case, the drumming on that record is super solid, and when I looked up who the drummer was, it came as no surprise to see that it was John "JR" Robinson. He was 50 when he recorded that, and it sounds just fine to me.

Last edited:
World famous drummer age 93, still going strong- Roy Haynes.

40 too old? Ha ha ha. I'll turn 60 in a couple of months.

If you are in your forties, you are too old to be playing drums. My advice is; find another hobby.

(One down and 845,365 to go. Now maybe I can get some more gigs.)

Bah! There are plenty of bands with members over 50 that wouldn't give the time of day to someone in their 20's. It goes both ways.

"You're 25? Pffftt... barely out of diapers. This isn't a daycare centre."

Like most prejudice, it helps weed out the people you don't want anything to do with.

Don't restrict other players by age...its illogical and guarantees you will end up going down the industry path of one popular song then being freezed out to prevent having to pay more for experienced players/allowing player to have popularity which equals negotiation power...unless the power is already established, then sign 'em up to get a piece of the pie!

Creation in one of the most creative industries is suppressed by the major 'players' to increase profits...and age-isim is perpetuated.

I had the same experience when I turned 40. Younger players thought I was too old. Here I am almost 50 and I just switched to drums. I understand it will be difficult to find others my age still willing to play heavy rock. People keep saying I should play jazz or blues, rock is a young man's game. Forget that noise. I'll be playing heavy until they put me in the ground.

This reminds me of a funny story. Got pulled over and the police officer didn't believe my drivers license-which I was 28. He said it's fake and I'm not even old enough to drive-my passenger 34 year girl friend at the time had to convince the officer I was actually 28. Man talk about steal your manhood-she kept teasing me about it. Called me "Arhoo" her baby boy-her 14 year old daughter started calling me that too. I had to get steroid injections after that LOL-just kidding.
I've got one for you GetAGrippa:

When I was a very young-looking 16 year old, me and my friends were sitting in a station wagon in a 7-Eleven parking lot wondering what to do with ourselves that evening. A cop pulled up and got us all to get out. He asked for everybody's packs of smokes and searched them, looking for drugs. He looked at me and said "And you don't smoke, right?". I guess he assumed because I looked so young. I said "Right". Lucky me because I had a half gram of hash in my smokes!

(Fast-forward 30-some years later -- I don't smoke any more and weed is legal haha)

Ed Cassidy, the drummer for Spirit, was Randy California's Step-dad. He was about 20 years older than the rest of the band.

I just picked up drumming after 31 years out of it and I am 68. I saw Carl Palmer this summer with his touring band and he hasnt missed a beat. He plays as well now as when he did when he was 19. It all depends on your physical and mental health. I hope you continue to play and enjoy it as much as possible.

I am doing a series of drum videos and here is the first. You are not too old until your body says so and your brain agrees.

40s though? There are bands still in their prime in their 40s. Lots of these "extreme metal" guys are in their 40s.

F people who say you’re too old. I saw Ringo’s All-Starr band at the Greek last October. Awesome.

Me, thousands of people and a cloud of weed smoke (not mine) all agreed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Alan White on tour playing with Yes for the 50th anniversary tour last year. Also saw Steve Smith with Journey a couple of years ago. The man still demolishes the kit and played a great solo, all while looking cool, calm and collected, of course!

Steve Smith really does kill it. He’s better than ever. Noticeably so.

World famous drummer age 93, still going strong- Roy Haynes.

Iron man.

That's one despairing song title. You trying to make the OP feel worse, pa? Shoulda' quoted the last chorus: "you're never too old to rock n' roll, if you're too young to die".

OP, I play in a power trio. I'm 48, our bass player is 44, and our guitar player is 32. I usually have another hour or two of rehearsal left in me by the time they tap out. Heck, we had a dedicated signer up until last year who was 58. This is drumming, not rugby; it's about the soul, not the body - any musician would know that.

Try to arrange a jam before you give out your age. If they balk, you'd be dodging a bullet.

But, you mentioned you're coming off a long hiatus. I hadn't touched a stick in ten years before we started. It took some time for me to get any of my chops back, and just as long to get my endurance back. You good to go in those regards?

Back