Too old to Play Drums

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
Please consider:

The babyboomers, that are in their 70´s they are all basically playing, Gadd, Cobham, Gerry Brown, Harvey Mason, Jack DeJohnette, Mike Clark, Alex Acuña, etc....

You have the generation about 10 years younger, in their 60´s. Vinnie, Steve Smith, Erskine, Omar Hakim, Virgil Donati, and next year: Weckl, Jeff Watts and Gary Husband joining, just to give an example

You are 20 years younger still...than the last list...

Last edited:

Fuhgeddaboudit1. 1

I will just say this. My freind told me when he was 25 I’m too old to start playing and I told him 10 years will be hear in exactly 10 years if you start now you’ll be playing for 10 years if you don’t you won’t be playing at all. He said your right and then did nothing. Well we’ve had this conversation of few times over the years. Now we’re 57 and I told him recently if ya started back then you’d be playing for 27 years. He never did and regrets it terribly. Your never to old to start playing.

trommel

I'm 68, been playing since I was 13. In a lot of ways I'm better now than I've ever been. Can't read music well(stopped dong that in 1976), can still putz around a marimba or xylophone some. Just refresh yourself with rudiments, , and if you want to take up the drumset again, learn all of Ringo's parts on the Beatle albums. You'll get straight rock, ballads Latin feels, shuffles, blues, country, off center type parts some swing and if you can master his parts, you will never need a better foundation for learning or relearning the drum set. Then let your conscience be your guide! REMEMBER: Practice does not make perperfect. Practice makes permanent; perfect practice makes perfect !

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Discussions like this only matter to people with an old mind, because as long as your body allows you are never too old for anything..

Literally anything..

For example, if you are 75 and you realise that you only wanted to be a punker your complete life but society told you that you couldn't and therefore you never were one, then for sure start being one for the time you have remaining..

Just try to live the life you want to live, regardless what anyone else says or thinks, because you only have one life..

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Discussions like this only matter to people with an old mind, because as long as your body allows you are never too old for anything..

Literally anything..

For example, if you are 75 and you realise that you only wanted to be a punker your complete life but society told you that you couldn't and therefore you never were one, then for sure start being one for the time you have remaining..

Just try to live the life you want to live, regardless what anyone else says or thinks, because you only have one life..
No truer words spoken. If you live to be 80 that's only 29,200 days-not very long so time to get hopping and make the best of what you got. When I was a young lad "I use to think" poor trees I bet they envy us humans, now I sit under my best friends Live Oak orchard hundreds of years old and I envy the trees and wonder what events happened in their stay.

Channing

I don't think you're too old to play drums, but some people want everyone in their band to be in a certain age range. Find a different band.

I've seen ads looking for a drummer where they specify they want someone between 18-25 for example. I think it's dumb because it's unnecessarily restricting your options. It's hard enough to find someone you're on the same wavelength with musically; if you start adding nonmusical factors like age and gender it makes it much harder to find someone because you're limiting your options. But you know, people can do what they want. Maybe if they can't find the right drummer within their age parameters they'd consider just finding someone who can play the parts and be satisfied with that.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Never give up! If you really want to play in a band, you'll find someone compatible with you. Don't mind the haters!
This.
I'm 49 and still play as much as I can. I may not be able to do 4 sets a night, 3 days a week, but I can sure pull off a great weekend show when needed.
I'll always play even if it's just at home. I have to to keep my sanity.

DrummerDave518

I've been passed over for drumming jobs at least twice (that I know about) because of my age. The first time I was about 35, the rest of the band was mid - late 20's. The second time was today. Neither band even auditioned me. It makes me so angry, because at 44, I have more energy/chops than 95% of any 20-something drummer. Meanwhile, every other band I've auditioned for, I was hired ON THE SPOT.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
You might be too old to fit into a certain crowd who cares about that stuff, but that means nothing. There may be all sorts of superficial reasons a group may not be into you regardless of age. You may let that get to you, but it's not worth it. Do what you want and don't give up.

I just turned 29 a couple of days ago and sometimes my wrists and ankles hurt so much. I guess it's because of the way I play.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I just turned 29 a couple of days ago and sometimes my wrists and ankles hurt so much. I guess it's because of the way I play.
That's not good. Have you ever had a teacher to help you with technique? If you're holding the sticks wrong, have bad posture, not playing relaxed, you can cause permanent damage to yourself.

Mastiff

I've been heartened recently when I've looked up the ages of some of my favorites, all over 50: Gavin Harrison, Danny Carey, Mike Mangini, Todd Sucherman, Nikko, Portnoy. I've hardly found any drummers I really like who are extremely young. Of course, I'm old and don't pay attention to certain kinds of music. Obviously, you can be old and play high energy, chop-heavy music.

To me, the sad thing about being old(er) is that I'm running out of time to get really good. It takes time, no way around it.