too many cymbals?

tiki187

Personally, I believe in a 2:1 ratio. 2 cymbals to every drum.

I like a lot of cymbals and a lot of splashes. Ever since I got my swish, I seldom using the china.
My setup consists of

1 set of hats
4 Crashes
4 splashes
1 ride
1 swish
1 china

Attachments

Last edited:

Quai34

Personally, I believe in a 2:1 ratio. 2 cymbals to every drum.

I like a lot of cymbals and a lot of splashes. Ever since I got my swish, I seldom using the china.
My setup consists of

1 set of hats
4 Crashes
4 splashes
1 ride
1 swish
1 china
I never thought about that ratio but that's a great idea...
My set up is this one, but I'm not the drummer in my band, I just live drums and bought some "stuff" so, he doesn't have to bring his kit.... But he seems to remove one or two cymbals, depending on his mood he prefers the 21" ping or the 23" sweet ride, also depending on the song....
So, the set u is this one:
Final set up for Tom's drums (According to his preference, make sure it's all set like this before any Pratice):
A) CYMBALS
- Left to right
1) Avedis Zildjan 70's 14" New Beat Hihat
2) Sabian HHX 10" Splash (above the Hihat)
3) Sabian AA 17" Holy China (above the Splash)
4) Avedis Zildjan 70's (Canada made) 16" medium Heavy 1390 g Crash
5) Avedis Zildjan 70's (Canada made) 16" medium 1260 g ??? Crash
6) Meinl Byzance Dark crash 17"
7) Meinl Byzance 19" medium thin Crash 1656g
8) Sabian AAXplosion Crash 14" (above the Byzance 19")
9) Avedis Zildjan 70's Ping Ride 21"
10) Zildjan A Custom Sweet ride 23", 25th anniversary
Total = 9 Cymbals plus the Hihat

B) DRUMS
- TAMA ROYAL STAR 1973 WITH IMPERIAL LUG
1) Kick 22"X14"
2) a) Snare Tama Star Reserve Plain Maple 14"X5"
b) Tama Heavy Chrome over Steel /Plus Wrapped, tuned lower (we use the Star Reserve all the time that we have it now!!!)
3) Tom High 10"X7"
4) Tom Medium 12"X8"
5) Tom Low 13"X9"
7)Floor Tom 16"X16"
7 Pieces with the two Drum Snares.

C) Percussions ( When we have a percussionist)
1) Rototom 8, 10, 12 by Remo. (Aside, not on Tom's kit)
2) Cowbell, Chad Smith Model (on the drums kit)
3) Wood block, Latin Percussion Red Plastic (on the drums kit)
4) Congas Meinl (aside)
5) Bongos Meinl (aside)
6) Chin bells and clave and cabasa (aside)

So, the kit was sold to me with the metal snare, a rack and the two 16" crash, the Hihat, the Splash 10" the 21" ping ride and the 14" crash....
But I found in love with the sound of the 4 extra cymbals I bought, the China 17" (I hated China at first for their two much Gongy sound...), the Byzance 17" and 19" Nd the sweet ride (A custom 25th anniversary....)

What do you think, I should have not bought the 4 extra ones? Because 5 crashed, including the 14", might be overkill?

Quai34

Well, if you count the Kick as a "Tom" (or the snare....), it's a "five" pieces kit so, 10 cymba,s with the ratio of 2 cymbals per Tom?

I have way too many cymbals-- but depending on who I'm playing with and what genre of music I will select:

I pair of hi hats
1 ride cymbal
2 large crashes...one of these may be a china

I don't use splashes or anything under 16"

I find that this covers the bases very well. It helps to have cymbals that you can get different sounds from depending on where you strike them.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I have what I consider to be three distinct sets of cymbals. All Sabian.

1. A set of rock cymbals. Built around 4 HHX X-Plosion crashes. Two 14" and two 16" crashes. I tend to use a un-inked (a prior owner scrubbed the ink off) 22" ride with these and the hats vary.

2. A full set of VFX cymbals (with the exception of the distortion hats). Great for electronic type stuff.

3. A darker set consisting of a 22" AA Apollo ride, 18" HH King Crash, 14" XSR Monarch hats and an 18" XSR Monarch crash.

Peedy

Always have 5 cymbals and Bob.

1 pair of HHs and 3 crashes of varying purposes. . . and Bob.

I've got my hats, my ride and the one crash.

But that's just me. Eventually I'm either gonna get a bigger less washy ride and use my 20" as a crash (it's the lightest Ping ever and crashes beautifully), or get a real trashy crash for occasional accents.

I'm not a splash or chinese guy. Seems like once you get these you start trying to incorporate them and I'm a real down to basics guy.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I like 3 crashes, 17,18,19. Small medium and large. Or fast, medium and long sustain. Or high, medium and low pitch. However you want to categorize them.
1 ride, 21"
1 splash, 10"
Hi hats of course.

7 total cymbals.

Lately in my Blues band I leave out the large crash and my 2nd rack tom, which is a first for me.

Last edited:

Peedy

OK I'll bite.
What or who is Bob?
This is Bob, our Christian Storm Trouper. He's given up his blaster and taken up the path of righteousness.

Bob just loves vintage A. Zildjians

HH top - 15in / 870g / 1960
HH bottom - 15in / 1450g / 1935
Accent - 14in / 501g / 1932
Crash1 - 15in / 809g / 1947
Crash2 - 15in / 843g / 1953 (bell shaped cymbal - crash/ride)

Bob.jpg

Last edited:

Peedy

Oh the irony! Love it, love it, LOVE IT!
While I’ll admit to the irony, the kids love him and take selfies with him. And in a nod to the times, Bob is multi gender and wears girls clothes as well.

His / her outfits are eventually donated to homeless families in the area who have 18mo toddlers.

And there’s too damn many of them.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
While I’ll admit to the irony, the kids love him and take selfies with him. And in a nod to the times, Bob is multi gender and wears girls clothes as well.

His / her outfits are eventually donated to homeless families in the area who have 18mo toddlers.

And there’s to damn many of them.
Bob is doing good work, I can get behind that. And yes, waaaaay too many homeless families. Rock on Bob!

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Ride, 2 crashes, hi-hat, splash & a china make up the bulk of my set up. I'd love to have a swish, but they're either hard to find or REALLY expensive. So I have a Rocktagon for my "effects crash" just because it sounds similar. Having a cymbal set up like Neil Peart or Thomas Lang would be overwhelming.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
I have many more than I use at 1 time. I like 2 crashes, a china, a splash or fx cymbal, hats, ride. the fx cymbal/splash often comes off for gigs. China gets left when I don't play metal too. I have a good stack of cymbals I change out depending on the gig. From time to time i set up a monster kit for fun and add way more, but I'm more about hauling less gear.