Too late to start? (19)

mikel

Platinum Member
personally, the day that the enjoyment and "fun" is gone from playing and performing, is the day I hang it up.
Otherwise playing in bands, projects, whatever..is nothing more than going to a job that I don't like.
Spot on Brian, I could not agree more with this sentiment.

Mcxnarf

Started playing drums when I was seven years old. I spent from 1975 until 1993 playing in jazz bands, wedding bands, club bands. My job would not allow me to work weedends anymore so in 1993 I stopped playing for good. I sold my 1976 Gretsch kit...I kept my Zildjian cymbals and my Ludwig Supraphonic snare. I got married in 2005. In October of 2013 from out of nowhere I got the "bug" again. It had been 20 years since I even had a pair of sticks in my hand let alone sit behind a kit. So I purchased the Ludwig Maple Black Oyster Pearl kit, Atlas Hardware, two rudiment books and a practice pad. I am 55 years old and it was like riding a bycycle. My chops are back...my speed is back. Bottom line...you are never too old and it is never too late!

Cleforo

This may be a "It's never too late..." comment but I know a guy who started playing guitar when he was 75, he's a bit over 80 now and plays in a few bands and also gets some money by playing.

shemp

Silver Member
RIGHT THE F*CK ON! I love that story...It is never to late to do anything you want; there may be some things you can't achieve, for instance, I don't think I will be able to play basketball like Michael Jordan or football like Peyton Manning, but musically, I don't see age impeding progress....plus drumming is AWESOME cardio and great activity for a middle aged coot like me.

This may be a "It's never too late..." comment but I know a guy who started playing guitar when he was 75, he's a bit over 80 now and plays in a few bands and also gets some money by playing.

lowdowner

I started at 46 - now 47... a year on I can honestly say that I'd love to have started at 19, but life is all about the journey, not how fast you can get to the destination :) Enjoy every moment, regardless of age.

picodon

Silver Member
Well that story only proves that guitar is much easier than drums :p

Back to the OP, if you start at 19 you have a 22 years headstart on me. My objective is to become pretty good and play in a band. Or, more in line with reality, play in a band and eventually become pretty good :) I think the objective is realistic at my age, let alone at 19 years old.

Whatever you do, take lessons - as you wrote you are already doing. In a few years you should be a reasonably competent drummer.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
You have no idea how much of a baby you are at 19. There's no reason to compare yourself, or your progression with drums to anyone else. Play because it makes you happy. I know guys who started at 40, and blow the kiddies who can play fast out of the water with their musicality and feel. They played because they wanted to play music, not drums.

shemp

Silver Member
SHHHHHH....don't tell them the secret about feel and musicality...we want them to spend all their time making utoob videos of how great they are playing 16ths at 250bpm and dazzling us with their tech prowess...

meanwhile us older fellas can snatch up all the paying gigs playing Sweet Home Alabama and Tush every night :)

You have no idea how much of a baby you are at 19. There's no reason to compare yourself, or your progression with drums to anyone else. Play because it makes you happy. I know guys who started at 40, and blow the kiddies who can play fast out of the water with their musicality and feel. They played because they wanted to play music, not drums.

JustJames

Platinum Member
I see that the OP hasn't responded.

Either it was a troll or he's been practising solid ever since, in which case I predict a "How Can I Be Endorsed*" in 5...4...3...

* Yes, I do now how endorsement deals really work, and who endorses whom.

New Tricks

Platinum Member
You are pretty much washed up by the time you hit the big one nine so, learn to play canasta and shuffleboard.

Seriously, unless you are a girl gymnast, your prime years are WAY ahead of you. I was 19 in 1971 and now I maybe have 19 years left. 19, heh heh :)

The Tank

I see that the OP hasn't responded.

Either it was a troll or he's been practising solid ever since, in which case I predict a "How Can I Be Endorsed*" in 5...4...3...

* Yes, I do now how endorsement deals really work, and who endorses whom.
lol nah I'm not a troll I just haven't checked back to this thread in days because I was deathly afraid to read the responses, fearing it'd say shit like "you're never going to be good enough" and shit. I'm glad to see the responses are pretty motivating though. You guys are awesome.

Practicing has been going really well, I can think of a beat, practice it over and over again and I'll seem to master it in max of an hour. Problem is though I don't really know where to start sometimes, or WHAT I should practice. That's been the problem, knowing what to practice.

Why are so many drummers self-taught anyway?

Wavelength

Platinum Member
Why are so many drummers self-taught anyway?
Because they think "education will kill their creativity", or because they "want to develop their own sound", or because they just don't know any better... or in rare instances, because they're intelligent enough to teach themselves. Most people -- myself included -- are better off getting at least some lessons to get things going in the right direction.