Tony Williams

Nice find!
If you are interested, some other steel pan soloists of note I would suggest checking out are:

THE LEGENDS
-Len "Boogsie" Sharpe (a veritable prodigy of the instrument, often described as the "Mozart of pan")
-Robbie Greenidge (Jimmy Buffett's resident pan player and my personal favorite soloist)
-Andy Narrell (big time jazz steel pan player and composer)
-Ken "Professor" Philmore (He used to play with the Duke Ellington Orchestra; sadly, we lost him this past weekend due to injuries from an automobile accident)

THE NEW CATS
-Liam Teague (a violinist-turned-pan player who displays an absurd level of speed and dexterity in his playing)
-Victor Provost (a very gifted bebop style soloist and composer)
-Johnathan Scales (he's more on the trippy fusion side; gaining popularity in jam band circles here in the US)

Awesome, thanks again Mustion!

Spurred on by the gear thread discussion that led to talking about steel pan, I went and checked out some Othello Molineaux, which led me to a recommended album The Trio with Tommy Flannagan, Ron Carter and Tony Williams, recorded in 83'. Interesting, I dont think Ive heard much from this period from Tony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSWyy_9U7k

That is an interesting record-- I've never seen it before, ever. I really used to massacre the cutout bins for records with Tony on them, too. I'll be listening to that a lot this week.

If anyone is confused by his playing in the 60s, check out this record with Charles Lloyd. He does all the stuff he did with Miles, but at more moderate tempos, and a more restrained context, so you can hear what he's doing more clearly.

Great find for me as well, thank you both.

The clarity of Tony's playing in both contexts really sheds yet more light on the uniqueness of his touch.

I am still having trouble discerning the bass drum notes at times, that is going to take some more listening and concentration.

Great find for me as well, thank you both.

The clarity of Tony's playing in both contexts really sheds yet more light on the uniqueness of his touch.

I am still having trouble discerning the bass drum notes at times, that is going to take some more listening and concentration.

Bass drum is super clear on the Trio album, and almost sounded out of place in the context of the recording based on the system I listened to it on. Im hoping a better system will maybe smooth that out. But not only could I clearly hear the bass drum, but it sounded strange to my ears. Weirded me out. Anyway, glad your enjoying...threw on Emergency today and reminded myself, I shouldnt sleep on the next phase of Tonys playing. Love that period too. Where are you going, the sea urchin song and all that great stuff. Funny as I drove in to work today listening to Emergency, I noticed how nice his bass drum work was.

Bass drum is super clear on the Trio album, and almost sounded out of place in the context of the recording based on the system I listened to it on. Im hoping a better system will maybe smooth that out. But not only could I clearly hear the bass drum, but it sounded strange to my ears. Weirded me out. Anyway, glad your enjoying...threw on Emergency today and reminded myself, I shouldnt sleep on the next phase of Tonys playing. Love that period too. Where are you going, the sea urchin song and all that great stuff. Funny as I drove in to work today listening to Emergency, I noticed how nice his bass drum work was.
Tony used that 24" bass drum even playing bebop later in his career. It is almost shocking to hear that drum sound in that style of music. I love everything Tony did, but I never really warmed up to that bass drum sound in that context.

Edit: I just listened to Master Trio and I was confusing it with another record. Tony's bass drum sound on this doesn't sound that radical to me. His snare definitely has that later-period sound, though. The wires sound like they're hanging off the bottom of the drum.

Last edited:
Man just been digging the hell out of Tony lately. Ive been especially loving his interaction with Bobby Hutcherson. Right now diggin on Jackie McLean One Step Beyond, but yesterdays ride to work was all Grachan Moncur The Coaster. That Evolution album took me a minute to love but is now one of my favorites. It often seems the albums that are the most difficult to get, are the ones with the most staying power.

Man just been digging the hell out of Tony lately. Ive been especially loving his interaction with Bobby Hutcherson. Right now diggin on Jackie McLean One Step Beyond, but yesterdays ride to work was all Grachan Moncur The Coaster. That Evolution album took me a minute to love but is now one of my favorites. It often seems the albums that are the most difficult to get, are the ones with the most staying power.
I'm glad you dig Evolution. It kind of gets lost in the shuffle of all those great Blue Notes from 1964 and 1965. It's a fantastic record.

Water Babies...another new adventure, yes!!!

As I was listening to One Step Beyond Jackie McLean on you tube, one of the commenters mentioned it was Tony’s first recording and he was 17. True?

Was showing friend at work my opinion of the next wave of genius and was showing him some Chris Dave and it was all Nefertiti covers and Miles/Tony vamps lol. Maybe I’m old school but the new school needs to absorb the old school to indeed be new school of note, I feel Dave has done that.

Side note, found some old cd’s yesterday and there was 2 Arcana cds, gotta toss them in again, different, but Tony power and joy

Just got Filles De Kilimanjaro wow this is a different direction, different feel. Feel tension or something. Looking forward to checking more only heard a bit. Water Babies next...

Water Babies...another new adventure, yes!!!

As I was listening to One Step Beyond Jackie McLean on you tube, one of the commenters mentioned it was Tony’s first recording and he was 17. True?

Was showing friend at work my opinion of the next wave of genius and was showing him some Chris Dave and it was all Nefertiti covers and Miles/Tony vamps lol. Maybe I’m old school but the new school needs to absorb the old school to indeed be new school of note, I feel Dave has done that.

Side note, found some old cd’s yesterday and there was 2 Arcana cds, gotta toss them in again, different, but Tony power and joy

pretty sure Vertigo was his first recording in June of '62 when he would have been 16

also a Jackie record ... check that one out

Tony splits time with Billy Higgins on that record

I think Tony is on the first 5 if I remember correctly

… MAX ROACH.dr ,TONY WILLIAMS.dr ,GINGER BAKER.dr..
''PERCUSSION SUMMIT'' & M'.Boom Re Percussion Ensamble. Live in Verona ,Italy ,1995. t.1h,32. Well , once again another 'RARE'' live concert with THREE great giants of the 'Drums History'.. First time all together only for this Live Jazz Festival in the ''Arena of Verona''. Max Roach is the Hard+Bop drumming style, Tony Williams is for the New-Modern Hard Bopping/Rocking drumming style, and Ginger Baker for the Rock+Blues Beat drumming style.,-

, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgwBnHWA7Bc

,,Whoah Fabio nice find.,!!!!,,

Thanks ''Grazie'' dear Mr. J-Boogie,. I like to search, find, and collect(* kind of Collectionist..) Live jazz video sessions of all the main-great Jazzmen..
Let 's say from..: 'Cannonball' Adderley s' to Tony Williams.,!!..
Yes, surely Jazz Drummers are the first in my video-catalogue/Collections.
Have a nice 'winter day' . Ciao fabio ,Roma

- , -
-

Just been getting into Water Babies. Some excellent drumming going on. A different kinda feel, more like funk and jam influenced or something. Im enjoying getting familiar.

There was only one Tony. Nothing more you can say.

I was fortunate enough to catch this very band at The Village Vanguard. Can't remember the year. Unfortunately some imbecile decided to take pictures with a flash after the general announcement beforehand saying it was prohibited. Tony eventually stopped playing, took the mic and started to talk about people ignoring simple requests. The more he talked, the more angry he got. Eventually he got so ticked off that he just said screw it and ended the set right there and walked off the stage with the band. Needless to say my friend and I were extremely upset. Tony was incredible to see live. He was a complete animal behind the drums.

This is a drums-solo in a Latin - beat 'style'.,!!. '' Roland Hanna, p ,Trio,,Ron Carter ,Tony Williams,dr,1984.. Live Jazz festival in Terrassa .. Spagna.. on 1984.. with ''Super Trio'' .RON CARTER.cb., TONY WILLIAMS.dr , very , very ..RARE ,Live jazz-session,, t.52 ..vd1030 ,, e-mail., , [email protected]
-

Back