Tony Williams

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
More so than Rich Williams is a hero. I wouldn’t let one or even several bad or unprofessional responses label a man forever. Dang I got a hot head too- far be from me to cast stones. I think anger management issues are common in men- bunch of reasons why. I’m about a nice a person you’ll meet but I’ve shown my ass indignant because I was right- so I thought. I’d like to think 🤔 ve matured and have no issues. But I know I have a few hot buttons that my head goes up my butt and I want to rip someone’s larynx out. I’m not making excuses for any bad behavior but definitely don’t think it should be a Scarlet letter. Besides Buddy Rich was a better snd greater asshole of any drummer- whose the greatest? Buddy Rich is the greatest asshole. Come on man. LOL

J-W

I wouldn't necessarily say he's an asshole. Definitely a great drummer. One of my all time favorite drummers. But he was clearly provoked the evening I saw him. Definitely could have handled it better but still, someone else was the bigger asshole that evening.
You're right, I shouldn't judge him based on anecdotes. I've never met the guy and he was obviously having a bad evening. Besides, you don't have to be a good person to be a great drummer. Many have proven that.
Again, I apologize for interjecting negativity into a thread praising a drumming legend. Nothing can take away the fact that he's earned his reputation as being one of the greatest drummers in the world. (y)

MG1127

my favorite examples of Tony's playing

Charles Lloyd - Of Course Of Course
Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song
Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond
Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch

check those out

s1212z

Speaking of anger, I believe he flipped out on Jaco for walking in the wrong key. The performance is brilliant art, Jaco is creating this crazy dissonant tension while John is soloing like only JM can do and you can hear Tony's ferocity in the playing that takes into a different height. It could have been Jaco's mental health or perhaps just making statement. Too bad the cymbals never got properly recorded but just nice to hear something

MntnMan62

You're right, I shouldn't judge him based on anecdotes. I've never met the guy and he was obviously having a bad evening. Besides, you don't have to be a good person to be a great drummer. Many have proven that.
Again, I apologize for interjecting negativity into a thread praising a drumming legend. Nothing can take away the fact that he's earned his reputation as being one of the greatest drummers in the world. (y)
You don't have to apologize to me about injecting negativity. I have a similar tendency and it's gotten me banned from no less than three forums. Well, maybe it isn't negativity so much as standing up for myself against others negativity. Either way, I have an abrasive side that gets me in trouble. I will never judge someone for attitude unless it's personally directed at me. The only thing I can say about the Tony thing is that I just wish it had been a different night that he chose to flip out. That's the only show I ever saw Tony live. I think. Although I may have seen the same band twice during that visit to the Vanguard. It's so long ago now and I'm getting old.

Reactions: J-W

jazzerooty

It's a crazy business. Tony often talked about working on himself, dealing with his demons. He was a child star, like Buddy. Marrying Colleen was healing to him. Lot's of jazz meltdowns over the years. Ever see Mingus? Buddy Rich? If you ever saw Elvin when he was on a drinking binge, you would never forget it. Keith Jarrett? These are men of genius. They're hot wired human beings.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I love all his work with Miles and early years with others but his later stuff was even better to me. I love his dynamic feet and kick /hat interchange and he is always working it- lots of energy goes into every stroke. He played cymbals like a jazz cat but the rest to me was more a fusion of a lot of influences with polyrhythms and dynamics and power. It’s like he played each time like his last so throws everything he has into it- like an Olympian running his last race balls to walls- or ovaries to wall if a lady. I’ve always been ergonomic oriented, cheat to sound like , low stick low power. I’m working to change that- I note Keith Carlock really hits hard. So I’m trying to get more dynamic and hit my snare like I mean it. It’s going to take some time it looks like LOL

roncadillac

Speaking of anger, I believe he flipped out on Jaco for walking in the wrong key. The performance is brilliant art, Jaco is creating this crazy dissonant tension while John is soloing like only JM can do and you can hear Tony's ferocity in the playing that takes into a different height. It could have been Jaco's mental health or perhaps just making statement. Too bad the cymbals never got properly recorded but just nice to hear something

LOVE me some ToD!