Tony Williams Drum Clinic (1hour)

Michael G

Silver Member
Well I was not sure what in direct relation you are making reference too in this thread about Tony his playing in general or something else in your comment. I guess i'm confused because i'm still buzzing off of watching the incredible display of dynamics and musical playing on the clip I posted tonight of someone with a masterful touch and very enjoyable melodic/harmonic ideas on the drumset IMO.

If you don't like Tony's playing that's cool with me sorry if it came off funny on my part.
Indeed

I am talking straight up about Tony's playing It is good, it is amazing, but I don't like listening to it. I don't disrespect it, I respect everything about Tony and acknowledge his importance.

however, it just doesn't float my boat. What does can be found under the "jazz pioneer" section.

Steamer

Platinum Member
Indeed

I am talking straight up about Tony's playing It is good, it is amazing, but I don't like listening to it. I don't disrespect it, I respect everything about Tony and acknowledge his importance.

however, it just doesn't float my boat. What does can be found under the "jazz pioneer" section.
That's cool with me SmoothJazz. That's what makes the world an interesting place for all of us to live in as appreciators of all things jazz which cover alot of ground. If we all liked the same thing life would be pretty drab indeed. Peace.

aydee

Platinum Member
Whoever posted this clip up, thanks! Fantastic to hear not only Tony's playing but him talking about his playing..

Stan, my Berklee grad teacher had suggested this grip, when I wanted to work on my Moeller. I had no idea where it was coming from. Now I know!

I am struggling with it and cant maintain it for long ( the sticks fly out off my hand, with my index finger that loose ). But on the few strokes that I got it right, I could really see what Tony was saying.

Steamer

Platinum Member
Whoever posted this clip up, thanks! Fantastic to hear not only Tony's playing but him talking about his playing..

Stan, my Berklee grad teacher had suggested this grip, when I wanted to work on my Moeller. I had no idea where it was coming from. I am struggling with it and cant maintain it for long ( the sticks fly out off my hand,, with my index finger that loose ). But on the few strokes that I got it right, I could see what Tony was saying.

The flat of the thumb and the second knuckle of the first finger is the starting point of getting comforable and familar with this grip aydee and the key to "locking it in".

F

fourstringdrums

Well today I did some practicing while adapting maybe not Tony's exact grip, but something a little different. In doing so I realized a few things about how I was playing before that while it was correct technique, wasn't working as good as it could be for me personally. Using double strokes as an example:

1. I tended to not involve my wrist/hand as much as I could, instead I relied on using fingers only to gain speed.

2. I tended to play with the front part of my hand, with most of my finger control coming from my middle finger only. The ring finger played a minor part, and while the pinky stayed in position, it didn't do much of anything.

3. When using fingers I had a tendency to not keep them as close as possible to the stick, thus causing me to lose speed and control because it was taking just a hair longer for my fingers to manipulate the stick. My finger motions also seemed to be exaggerated more than I realized.

So, taking what inspiration I could get from what Tony was doing I:

1. Started using my wrist/hand for most of my strokes. When you watch Tony play, even with fast singles, he seems to be all wrist.

2. When adding in fingers for more control I started playing more with the back of my hand, feeling the control more with my pinky and involving the ring finger even more. Now, my middle finger is still involved, but not all that much.

3. My fingers stay on the stick at all times (or as much as I can) and the movement is subtle in combination with my wrist movements.

4. This one is difficult to do, but I am trying to keep my index finger extended slightly vs. being wrapped around the stick. This frees up movement a bit and relaxes my hand.

So basically I realized that before, my hand had two different guys working at the company: The wrist, and the fingers, each having different roles. Now they both work together, with the wrist taking over more of the responsibility, and the fingers lending a very slight hand (pun intended) when needed.

*edit* I forgot...before I seemed to grib either at the first index knuckle or in between the first and second. Now I grip all the way back at the second.

oops

Silver Member
Sorry to bump an old thread, but no-one has any idea where this video has gone do they?

Can't find the drum clinic, or the video Steamer posted on page 2. Any ideas where we can find them again?

Toby_Jackson

This is all very interesting stuff. Seems I have more in common with Tony than I thought. I missed this when it was fresh as well, hope those vids are still alive somewhere.

To fourstring: I'm with you on your 4 points, wrist strokes with fingers helping slightly, loose index, and lots of awareness of the back of the grip, but I still grip at the first knuckle in my index and middle finger - gripping at the second always leads my thumb to tense up.

criz p. critter

Silver Member
Oh, damn! I just tried to view the video and it's not there anymore! I would really, really love to see this if someone knows an updated link.

Steamer

Platinum Member
Sorry to bump an old thread, but no-one has any idea where this video has gone do they?

Can't find the drum clinic, or the video Steamer posted on page 2. Any ideas where we can find them again?
Copyright violations of this type of posted stuff is unforunately the norm. Enjoy them well they last is the best you can do.

This one still works. Unedited concert footage just shy of an hour of the Tony Williams Quintet from 1991:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7494448172579095735&hl

zbdc

ManI wanna see this video. Anyway, just from the comments, Tony's technique sounds a lot like marching technique, as others have alluded to. Watch any video of some drum corps, and I bet the technique is similar to what was on the video. Sounds like it's pretty finger based. But I'm just guessing. I think I would kill for this video, to hear Tony talk about some of this stuff? Man...

Steamer

Platinum Member
ManI wanna see this video. Anyway, just from the comments, Tony's technique sounds a lot like marching technique, as others have alluded to. Watch any video of some drum corps, and I bet the technique is similar to what was on the video. Sounds like it's pretty finger based. But I'm just guessing. I think I would kill for this video, to hear Tony talk about some of this stuff? Man...
Not finger based at all. It was all about the hand and wrist first regarding Tony's approach. Tony's words not mine from the removed clinic footage.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
hey....are there any other links to this video??
because all of the ones i have tried have been removed!!
and reading these comments it sounds brilliant!!

arhyth

could anyone please upload it for us who haven't seen it? thanks in advance.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssee!

ifile.it or mediafire or rapidshare or something.

Last edited:

bogo

Will it be released some day. I saw it once and I really enjoyed it. If someone has a link...

RobertM

Platinum Member
Video not available. Here's what I get when I click the link:

"We're sorry, but this video may not be available.

If this video was recently uploaded, it may still be processing.
If this video is yours, you can check its status.

To see more videos visit our home page."