Tony Levin's mash note to drummers: On the Drums

GretschedHive

Gold Member
Delightful, especially the way the genius bassist pays special tribute to a handful of the drummers with whom he's played the most—in at least one case in an especially fitting manner. (Although at least two typos.) And how apropos that it's...a cappella.

Am I the only drummer he hasn't played with?

Delightful, especially the way the genius bassist pays special tribute to a handful of the drummers with whom he's played the most—in at least one case in an especially fitting manner.

Bill Bruford, Bill Bruford, Bill Bruford...

...or Bozzio, Bozzio, Bozzio?

Am I the only drummer he hasn't played with?

I just assumed you were one of the ones he mentioned as not having taken a photo of. :)

(Which made the fact that he showed Peter Gabriel as he sang "Phil Collins" all the funnier.)

Bill Bruford, Bill Bruford, Bill Bruford...
...or Bozzio, Bozzio, Bozzio?

Oh, good question! I meant the VERY King Crimson-like Bruford part. The Bozzio bit was sweet, as was slowing way down for his old homeboy Steve Gadd.

I just assumed you were one of the ones he mentioned as not having taken a photo of. :)

Ha! I think I'll roll with that for a bit. Thanks.

Oh, good question! I meant the VERY King Crimson-like Bruford part.

Just had to make sure.

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know it was Tony Levin on Paul Simon's Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover. I'm not surprised though, Levin's one of the most diverse bass players I can think of.

Because I didn't really notice him until the late 70s, with first Peter Gabriel and then King Crimson, I didn't realize for a long time that he was older than I assumed. Imagine seeing him and Steve Gadd play back in Rochester, possibly with Chuck Mangione sitting in?

Because I didn't really notice him until the late 70s, with first Peter Gabriel and then King Crimson, I didn't realize for a long time that he was older than I assumed. Imagine seeing him and Steve Gadd play back in Rochester, possibly with Chuck Mangione sitting in?

I noticed Tony Levin through Peter Gabriel and King Crimson, too, but not until more than 10 years after you did.

I see that he played on Double Fantasy as well. What hasn't he done?!

Put up with shit from Al Di Meola? :)

(In case you've never heard the story before, as told in Bill Bruford's autobiography.)

It's 1983, and Bruford and his King Crimson bandmate, bassist and Chapman Stick player Tony Levin had been hired by DiMeola to play on his latest album and had travelled to a residential studio in Nebraska for the session. They'd been told that DiMeola liked to start his sessions fairly late, so they arrived at the studio at midday as agreed in advance. No Al. They set up the drums and got ready to record. Still no Al. Bruford, who says that the grossest insult one musician can give another is to keep them waiting, is not amused. Nor is Levin.

Four hours later than agreed, just as Levin is wondering aloud how it might affect his otherwise sterling reputation as a session player (seriously, look him up) if he were to just leave, DiMeola arrives and proceeds to small-talk with Bruford, Levin and the studio engineer while changing his guitar strings. Eventually, he starts to run through the songs he wants to record. Bruford sits at his kit, Levin sits silently in a corner, his bass still in its case. Bruford and DiMeola run through the songs, repeat a few tricky sections, discuss exactly what is needed. Eventually, they arrive at a fast run that Al wants the bass to play in unison with his guitar, so he urges Levin to, maybe actually get his bass out so he can play it once or twice before they record. Levin declines.

When it's time to record a take, Levin gets his Stick out and plugs in, not playing a note. They play, Levin plays his part flawlessly, tricky run and all, then overdubs a perfect double-track. The process begins again for a second song. Again, Levin plays and double-tracks his part perfectly.

It's getting late, and the agreed time for the session is over so Levin packs up his gear and heads for the door. Just then, the engineer somehow manages to erase a two-bar section of Levin's part. Suitably embarrassed, he begs Levin for five more minutes to re-record the missing part. Levin agrees, and again puts the part on tape flawlessly, packs up and makes for the door again.

Oh crap, says the engineer, we're two notes short of what I erased. Tony, can you just...

But he's out the door.

Now Al DiMeola is going to have to pay his engineer to review the tape of the session (and it *is* tape- this is 1983 and Pro-Tools is distant sci-fi fantasy) to find duplicates of those two notes, copy those sections of tape and splice them in to the gap.

Which is probably going to take like, four hours.

Yeah.

I made the list of drummers at the end! T-Lev is such a joy.
I was seriously looking for my name at the very end, though I didn't think I'd be there. I did a session a couple years ago where the producer brought in Tony to replace the original bassist on two tracks (sorry Todd). Tony and I were never in the same room together; in fact, I think he just recorded his parts in his own studio and sent the files in. Unfortunately, of the two tracks Tony played on, one had no drums, and the other had mostly programmed drums (with some live drums mixed in). At least I programmed that drum track, but my live drums, which don't come in until the middle of the song, were mixed so low, you can barely hear them.

Regardless, I can still claim a credit with Tony Levin! I met him about a year ago at The Baked Potato, and let him know I was the drummer on that song. He remembered it and was very gracious, and genuinely happy to meet me. Great guy!

Anyone know what recording it was with Trilok Gurtu?
Id like to give it a listen.

I was seriously looking for my name at the very end, though I didn't think I'd be there. I did a session a couple years ago where the producer brought in Tony to replace the original bassist on two tracks (sorry Todd). Tony and I were never in the same room together; in fact, I think he just recorded his parts in his own studio and sent the files in. Unfortunately, of the two tracks Tony played on, one had no drums, and the other had mostly programmed drums (with some live drums mixed in). At least I programmed that drum track, but my live drums, which don't come in until the middle of the song, were mixed so low, you can barely hear them.

Regardless, I can still claim a credit with Tony Levin! I met him about a year ago at The Baked Potato, and let him know I was the drummer on that song. He remembered it and was very gracious, and genuinely happy to meet me. Great guy!
Many listed, me included, are drummers participating in TOAPP Camp each August in upstate NY. We have the opportunity to play with Tony, Pat Mastelotto, and Adrian Belew along with talented fellow campers from around the globe. Gracious of Tony to tip his cap to we punters!

Back