Toms mounted on Bass drum or cymbal stand

THIS:
It's interesting to me that the "vintage sound" that so many people are trying to reproduce was recorded on drums that were:
Usually mounted on the bass drum with tom brackets attached to the shell
Had less than perfect bearing edges most of the time
Made of wood, nobody, cared about what kind
Oftentimes mis-matched in the studio
Had steel hoops, nobody cared what kind

is a GREAT point.

It's interesting to me that the "vintage sound" that so many people are trying to reproduce was recorded on drums that were:
Also... those drums weren't vintage back then! They were mostly new. So the effect decades of aging had on the wood wasn't a factor yet in the sound we heard on those old records.

^^This

Marketing and Modern Drummer magazine has pushed the paradigm on what a drum kit should be - which I've always thought was ironic because the job of the drummer still hasn't changed after all these years. The tools change though, making us more "modern". This gets us back to that argument on which drummer are you? Charlie Watts who's been playing the same kit for the last few decades now, or one of the new breed who have a different new kit every year?

There is nothing wrong with drilling a virgin just make sure you do it safely and your post will fit in the hole you're drilling.

Man am I having a flashback to the Rocky Horror Picture Show and the Interstate Theater in Altamonte Springs.

In any case, here’s my vote for bass mounted toms. I have a stand and it just doesn’t have the same feel.

Recently I put one tom on a cymbal stand shared with a crash cymbal and my other tom is mounted on the bass drum. Felt like I definitely have a more comfortable set up now, the way I have it's one of the toms is to the left of the snare and the other one to the right. Felt I got them at a better angle and closer together, And anything on my right side i can move in closer as well.

Mapex makes a no drill tom tree. It comes with 4 lugs, which you replace the top 4 lugs on your bass drum, and those new lugs have provisions for 2 rails which supports the tom tree. I used them on 2 of my Guru bass drums and definitely recommend them.

Larry,

Could you possibly share a pic and a bit more info? I might be able to use this

If I was ever prejudiced against bass drum mounted toms it was because I didn't stop to think about all the brilliant players who have and/or currently do use that set up. Case in point...

Attachments

• 1-54.jpg
    1-54.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 27
For regular gigs, I much prefer the toms mounted on the bass drum. This is because set up and tear down is quicker and more positioning is more exact than when using stand mounts. It makes little difference if using one tom but if using two it’s much easier to get the set up just right when my main ride stand isn’t engaged in tom mounting activities.

I reiterate for regular giging go bass drum mounted.

Jeff this is what I used. Only they didn't make a 22 x 16. They make a 22 x 18 but my bass drum is 16" deep. So I got the 22 x 18 and took it to a local welder and had them remove 2" from each rail. (cost me $65.00) The sliding plate covers the weld scar. The lug hole spacing just happened to be the same as my Guru Tours. So it's reverseable. It was a no brainer. It won't work with Origins.

would I get just as fast setting cymbal stand toms in future ?
Any thoughts ? Some gigs I need to set up quickly and anything I can do to make it painless helps. I do use presets on stands but these are heavy stands and go into a large
SKB Drum Hardware Case. brackets can get moved ?

I've had no problem with two toms and a cymbal mounted on a stand for gigging. It doesn't take me any more time than bass-mounted toms, and the memory locks never moved over 25+ shows this past summer.

When you have a virgin bass drum you can't run into the complication of a tom mounting a bass drum and giving birth to a small foot tom=14-16 bass-tard drum. It can be complicated. Sometimes it's a false alarm because it's just a pillow in the bass drum-but those close calls can be stressful. I've wondered what would happen if you mated a snare with a bass drum???

I've had all three. Bass drum mounted toms, stand mounted toms and now a single tom in a snare stand. If 2-up over the bass drum, mounting a tom to each cymbal stand is just obnoxious. At least one cymbal is going to be too big to position properly over a tom, so it's a constant battle. If toms are in the offset position, then a BD mounted tree for one and cymbal stand for the other is 10x more obnoxious, if you ever set up on an uneven stage. if 1-up, a BD mounted tom tree rarely allows proper positioning. In general, the setups that have given me the most trouble have been toms off cymbal stands. If I did that, then the cymbal was a splash or small crash. That way, it wasn't much different than a tom stand with a cymbal clamped on.

BD mounted tom trees aren't necessarily easier, and don't save any time if the stage is uneven. Setting up drums is just a pain. I personally prefer the independence of moving everything separately, so I can adjust as required. Looks better, doesn't look better, tom in snare stand is a hipster thing, it's cool if, isn't cool if...none of that matters, when I'm trying to setup and tear down in a flash. It's never mattered much if my FTs are on uneven ground. I have three legs to adjust. It's driven me nuts when my BD has been uneven and I'm trying to get it to sit right, but then my toms are way too far/close, one high, one low. If you're using a BD mounted stand then you just have to deal with it. This is where I give Pearl's "plumbing" mounts a huge nod. It doesn't matter how far off things go, you have a foot and a half of adjustments in each direction to get things right. If toms are on their own stand and not Pearl plumbing mounts, you have additional options. With a 1-up setup, if the tom is on a snare stand and uneven, happiness it's a wing nut away.

There's literally no one right answer, but there are tons on cool/not cool opinions.

THIS:

is a GREAT point.
Just like all the nonsense about "vintage sounding" cymbals . Do you think drummers in the 50's and 60's had all these lines and brands to choose from? In those days it was more artistry, and much less marketing. In those days it was mainly Zildjian A's that were very different from what is offered today.

I always liked the feeling of having the toms offset so mounted to a cymbal stand made the most sense to me, using a DW double mount clamped to the stand, that kept them close to each other and the memory lock ensured it was positioned the same every time, tape markings on my rug made sure the stands were always positioned the same in relation to everything else. However, I never noticed an aural difference between that and mounting from the bass drum, this was just more convenient for me.E9D68ACF-0689-4858-8CA1-C0518EDF384D.jpeg

For regular gigs, I much prefer the toms mounted on the bass drum. This is because set up and tear down is quicker and more positioning is more exact than when using stand mounts. It makes little difference if using one tom but if using two it’s much easier to get the set up just right when my main ride stand isn’t engaged in tom mounting activities.

I reiterate for regular giging go bass drum mounted.
I’m wondering what “irregular gigging” would be ?

I use tom on snare stand not mounted to cymbal stand. Works great. The snare stand is also about 5 pounds or more lighter than the tom mont on kick. Them things are like lead to drag around to gigs in my bag with other stuff. Lighter=snare stand for tom. Plus the tom is lighter, too, no mounting system on it.

The best option is just play no toms-when those parts come up have one of those vocalizer doohickeys like guitarist use-to vocalize the fills. I can think of some songs that would be hilarious to watch a drummer vocalize those fills. Fewer toms for real. I played several gigs with just a 16 in floor tom-and now 13/16 is it-I got a itty bitty tiny weeny 10 inc-but stays hidden in shame-cause it's so tiny next to bigger bros. It's a family thing gets complicated with the toms.

Back