Tommy Lee goes back to Pearl

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Not really thread worthy, but I thought it was funny:

http://www.pearldrum.com/News/Artist-News-Article.aspx?id=954

Pearl Drums is proud to welcome back, the legend himself, Tommy Lee to the Pearl Drums artist roster! After a lengthy sabbatical from playing behind the Pearl name, Tommy will debut his new Pearl kit this summer, with Motley Crue, throughout their 2011 summer amphitheater tour.

Lee helped put Pearl on the map of respectable drum companies in the 80's, and helped make DW go from that company that makes pedals to the company that makes drums.

Funny he leaves DW and goes back to Pearl all these years later.

Joey Kramer a while back. Tommy Igoe recently. Now Tommy Lee.

Does anyone else get any pleasure from seeing drummers actually leave DW? I'm just not a fan of them.

Does anyone else get any pleasure from seeing drummers actually leave DW? I'm just not a fan of them.

I think every drum company goes through this. Remember when everyone during the '80s played Yamaha? Then that leveled out. Lotsa people played Pearl before Tommy Lee and then that leveled out....now it's DW's turn. But hey, they just got J.R. Robinson and Thomas Lang, losing Tommy shouldn't be a detrimental thing to them. It's nice that Pearl is happy to have him back.

Pearl Drums is hurting, maybe a bit more than other manufacturers. Pearl is probably happy to have someone of Tommy Lees' notoriety endorsing them.

Dennis

Lee helped put Pearl on the map of respectable drum companies in the 80's

Oh, come on now. Peter Criss was banging on Pearl drum in 1973 ... and Tommy Lee was 10 years old. By the time the 80's rolled around, Pearl didn't need no help bein' put "on the map", they were already there.

Oh, come on now. Peter Criss was banging on Pearl drum in 1973 ... and Tommy Lee was 10 years old. By the time the 80's rolled around, Pearl didn't need no help bein' put "on the map", they were already there.

Let's not forget Ed Shaugnessy and Louie Bellson were playing Pearl, as well as Jeff Porcaro - a number of luminaries were playing Pearl in the 70s - they were Yamaha before Yamaha.

Let's not forget Ed Shaugnessy and Louie Bellson were playing Pearl, as well as Jeff Porcaro - a number of luminaries were playing Pearl in the 70s - they were Yamaha before Yamaha.

Any pics of Shaughnessy or Bellson playing Pearl?

^^^ Very Cool Bo. I wonder if Pearl was the "Official" drum sponsor of the Tonight Show at one time. I always thought Ed was a Ludwig guy. I knew Louie switched around until Remo..

On another note, I miss the old Tonight Show and Johnny.. I asked Ed a couple of years ago at the Chicago Drum show when they going to release the music from the TS. He said probably never because the publishers want too much money for royalties. What a shame, all of those wonderful performances will never be seen because of greed....

True that, but I was tryin' in keeping with the spirit of the youth-appeal aspect. And certainly, Criss sold way more drums to 15 year olds than Ed, Louie and Jeff combined.

Yes, but for the exact opposite reason you mention: because I'm a big fan of them and I never felt that those guys represented the brand very well.

I wonder how much this will help sales of the E-Pro kit..I heard (from a manager @ GC) they are having a hard time giving them away.. they could change it up some make it a Tommy Lee signature kit and then watch them fly off the shelf... I really like Pearl's snares myself.. the free floater and even better the vintage brass and aluminum ones from the 70's and 80's..they are beasts very heavy and well built....

Yes, but for the exact opposite reason you mention: because I'm a big fan of them and I never felt that those guys represented the brand very well.

You kinda piqued my curiosity with this one.
What does that mean?

JK and TL were both in multiple DW promo video/dvd's (Tommy Igoe I haven't seen in any promo stuff).

Is it because JK &TL are "Rock guy's" and not up to par with some perceived level of "craft" because DW is supposed to be cream of the crop or something?

What about Ray Mayorga or guy's like that? DW promotes him quite a bit.

Or is it because they really weren't in ads and things?

I'm not a DW drum player, just a hardware user. Love their straight shells though.
The Jazz series shell sounds great, but about as expensive as the Gretsch shell it's based on.

Well, on TL going back to Pearl...reps change, relationships change, so going back to Pearl after 20 years wouldn't make TL a endorsement hound like some drummers have been in the past with the jumping and jumping.
After 20 years, maybe he just wanted something different. He used electronics a lot, so the E-Pro kit could have been a big factor in the move.
Pearl's gear is great (like DW's), so it's not like he went "down" in the quality or sound department.

Not really thread worthy, but I thought it was funny:

http://www.pearldrum.com/News/Artist-News-Article.aspx?id=954

Lee helped put Pearl on the map of respectable drum companies in the 80's, and helped make DW go from that company that makes pedals to the company that makes drums.

Funny he leaves DW and goes back to Pearl all these years later.

Actually Tommy Lee played Sonor before he played Pearl...I think he switched some time after the Shout at the Devil Album..the first concert I saw them...he was playing a Sonor Phonic Plus kit...

Back