Tom won’t stop shaking

Tazman53

On my kit I have a Tom that is on a Tom mount, every time I hit the bass drum (which is a lot) it shakes, a lot, it throws me off and is just annoying, any way to stop it? The kit I have is an Ashton kit btw if that helps

A lot of people hate on pearl tom mounts and arms used to mount drums....but they are bomb-proof imo when it comes to holding your drums rock solid and unshakable. I've noticed tama and dw toms tend to shake a lot. I too, dislike my toms dancing while I play. This has always been why I favor Pearl tom mounting systems. If you just use one tom, you could put it in a snare basket and it will not dance around on you either.
Thanks, I’ll have a look at pearl mounts

If you Play 1U, consider a basket.
If you play 2U, consider a multiclamp/dogbone off the cymbal stands.
If you play 3U, consider a rack

I'd also recommend taking a look at Gibraltar's offerings, though I find that to much "Hangin with Brent" can be a major annoyance.
Example:

Check to see if it's the bass drum that's moving. The tom arm will amplify any movement of the bass drum.

What is your drum kit ? How are the tom mounted ? Clamped to a cymbal stand or on the bass drum ?

Mount the tom on a separate stand if it's currently mounted on the kick drum.

Looking up Ashton kits ..... they appear to use Pearl style tom mounts. Probably your cheapest solution would be get an auxiliary clamp to hang the tom off a cymbal stand.

Attachments

• pearl sessions.jpg
    pearl sessions.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 14
You may also want to consider using a suspension mount of some kind. Sometimes that provides enough isolation and acts as a vibration barrier between the bass drum and itself. If it already uses Pearl style mounts, you can get Pearl I.S.S. mounts that hold very secure.

I'm convinced that the OP's problem is the manner in which he has his bass drum/pedal set up. For some reason, his bass drum is see-sawing back and forth on its spurs. Something about the set up has created a rocking motion. We need to see pics of his setup.

GeeDeeEmm

Dang those are Pearl Optimounts on those pics above of an Ashton drum kit-is that right? Oh I see Pearl sessions so like that with heavy post-I get it. Those Pearl like mounts shouldn't be budging-something isn't right. Are the teeth of angle mounts worn and have wobble? Make sure the post has enough length in.bass drum for support (a lot of torque on a short post in bass-longer post in bass holds better-then tighten it up good so it isn't wobbling, then tighten everything in-between and see if that helps. The only thing "rocking" should be your "rolls" ROFL.

Not sure, but it looks to me like the memory locks aren't butted against anything on the tom on the right in the picture. It might help to secure them somewhere they will function. But it might not help.

On my kit I have a Tom that is on a Tom mount, every time I hit the bass drum (which is a lot) it shakes, a lot ....
OK ..... so your picture shows two toms .... but your complaint is worded "singular tom" is shaking. So is that correct? If only one tom is moving ..... then it's probably a loose, possibly worn tom arm. You shouldn't be able to wiggle those tom arms, if they're properly secure. You can just check that by hand. If both are moving, again, check to see if it's your bass drum that's rocking. Any motion in the bass drum will be amplified by the tom arms.

Sorry, but every time I see this I think "Maybe he's cold, get him a blanket!" :)

I was thinking that Tom needs to see a doctor, this has been going on too long.

Back