TOM TUNING

I need help with my DW 16" floor tom (14"x16"). I have never been able to get a sound that I am happy with from this tom. I can get lots of attack, and some low-frequency rumble, but it has always lacked the tone and in-the-chest feel that I can get from my 14" floor tom, for example (12"x14"). In fact, if I tune my 16" up to the range of the 14", I can tune them both the same with the TuneBot, and the 14" still sounds deeper and better.

I think what I am after is more low-mid range resonance, but I don't know how (or if) I can get it. I've used lots of different heads - at the moment I have a clear EC2 on top and clear G1 on the bottom, and that's the best combination I've found so far for the 16", but the drum still lacks impact. For those of you who tune to pitch, I've got it tuned to a C2 fundamental, with a minor third interval between top and bottom (104/123 Hz approx). Any advice for how I can get a deep, low tuning that has some tone and punch?

I struggled with 2ply heads. I’m not that heavy of a hitter, so didn’t need the added “protection.” I went to 1ply and got kore tone, but also more overtones. That was a bit annoying at first. I then tried dampened heads like PS3. Better, but still not there. I went with Aquarian Studio X not too long ago as a test. Lots of great tone and control, but lost punch. Ultimately, I’ve settled with 1ply 10mil head on batter, currently Aquarian Texture Coated, but Ambassador was fine too, a half dollar sized moongel dot on batter and nickel sized moongel dot on the reso and it’s the perfect balance for me.

1ply heads feel way better too, so all around a win. I tried to get away from gels, but in the end, they are the simplest solution and you can move them around to see where on the head gives the best results. Full disclosure though, I like my toms punchy, full and resonant sounding. The coated heads do reduce a bit of punch, but sound meatier. There we go with trying describe sounds again. Makes me crave steak! LOL!

AzHeat,

Not saying the result will be exactly the same, but have you tried any dotted heads?
The head itself is a medium weight single ply, like you're using now.
The difference is the thin layer of mylar applied to it (the "dot").
You can get the dot on top or underneath.
Remo, Evans and Aquarian all offer dotted heads.

6inch-dotted-heads-sound-controlled-drum-head.jpg

(image inserted in case you're unfamiliar with the term "dotted head")

Elvis

Actually, I failed to mention...yes I did try Remo CS White Dot. Cool sound too. Definitely different than where I am now, but cool. I’ve debated trying those in clear all around to capture that old vibe, but haven’t gone all in on that idea yet.

Last edited:
Ok, that's fine.
FWIW, back before the advent of the PS3, I used clear CS black dots on all of my drums.
It was my favourite bass drum batter for years. These days, I prefer a Fiberskyn 3.

Elvis

Back