TOM TUNING

Miggle

Re: floor tom tuning

tighten the reso head. I have my reso heads pretty tight, always. gives a nice low sound that bounces back quick.

Anyway, I sort of have that same prob with my G2 clear. The stock heads are more resonant and sounds rounder to me.

DrummerAz

Re: Tuning Toms

i have a really crappy performnce percussion kit with self named skins............

they sound really bad and ive tried everything, from drum silencers to trea towels, to tapeing a piece of cloth to the side of the drum..........but i cant get the sound i want

and i never really could tune a kit so.........

Elvis

Silver Member

My Premier Artist Maple kit want a bit of advice on Tuning.
Now i like the Deep tone sounds..Low down..

Iv got Remo Pinstriped Skins and have a 10 12 and 14inch Tom

Now when behind the kit the toms dont sound to bad.. could be better if im honest. but when listen from the other side they sound dead and crap.

Is it worth taken the std bottom heads off and putting REMO on there?
Its problem a tuning problem i would of thought.

Thanks
I used to sell Premier.
I know that the heads your drums came with actually need to get played on a little before they start sounding decent.
However, you could circumvent that and just use aftermarket thin weight heads on the resonant side.
G1 resonant, Diplomat, Attack Thin Skyn, Weathermaster Medium...all of these will allow your drums to sound more resonant, darker and larger.
Don't crank 'em too hard, either.
1-1.5 turns should be sufficient.
...oh, and don't forget to crack 'em when you install them.
Does wonders for the sound of a drum.

Elvis

Wayne

I use a Tuning Key,

I did think about changing to a Pearl Masters kit to help get the deep Tom sound i want.

I currently use 10x9 12x10 and 14x14 toms.

I tried it the other day but when i now hit the drum the Pitch goes up and they instanly down again, its not the skin stretchin, it keeps doing this now then i hit the toms.

ChristZero

12" tom tuning problem

Hey folks!
Got a new set of heads, Evans G2 clear. I´ve always been searching for the right heads, never bought a special one twice. Now I thought let´s give it a try with Evans as I have an Evans genera on my snare an it´s doing just fine.
The problem is, as with every single head I´ve ever played, the 12" tom doesn´t sound good.
10" is always easy, nice tone and enough attack, 14" has always nice bottom end. Now my set is a Mapex ProM SE maple set. And I think it can´t be the quality of the set because the two other toms and the bass drum especially sound killer after two minutes of tuning.

Anyone who also got trouble with those 12"? How do you tune them?

bighaibigdrums

Re: 12" tom tuning problem

Tune your 12" first and then tune the other drums around it. Always tune the hardest drum first.

ChristZero

Thx. Going to try that.
But the main prob is that i can´t get the right sound of the 12".
Well, we´ll see.

bighaibigdrums

Your probably trying to tune it to the other drums. Ignore the other drums, pretend the only drum you have is the 12"

hungrypo

check the bearing edge. i have a 12" tom that wont tune up, and after a couple years of fiddling with it i realized the bearing edge had a series of dents on one side. if the bearing edge isn't flawless, its gonna be impossible to tune the tom.

I

IDDrummer

The above advice is sound. You might also consider that some drums don't seem to "like" certain heads. An example - normally my 12" drum is the easiest of drums to tune, but not long ago I got the Evans EC2 coated heads to try out. It is very difficult with these heads to get the 12" to fit with the other drums when the pitch is where I want it. I've had to make very small adjustments in the tuning process to get the thing to work - I ended up detuning one lug to get the resonance and pitch where I wanted them, and I've never done that before! I can't really explain exactly what to do to make your drum sound better, but try tiny changes in tuning. Maybe when you change heads next time, you might try something different. I'm convinced there is no "best" drumhead for every drum...

wooltonboy

Pioneer Member

I had the same issue with my 10x12 tom.
Because my 10" is shallower at 8x10, I found that I had to have the reso head on the 12" at a tighter tension than that on the 10".
I think you'll find that the problem probably lies with the reso head. The G2 was sounding really hollow and "flappy" on the 12" until i tightened the reso up a bit.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Phil

ChristZero

Thx for the answers.
Well, the reso head really is a big part of the problem. I´ve been tuning around the sweet spot. The sound I would like just isn´t possible. Too low to get a clear sound, it indeed sounds floppy.
But I´d rather accept that than tune up too high.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Pearl Export Tuning Question

Hey guys,

We have a Pearl Export Series we use at church that was donated. I went out last night and got new heads for it which it desperately needed as I couldn't tell you how old the ones on there now are (I'm guessing the better part of 8 or 9 years YIKES)

Anyway what was on there were the CS black dots and I picked up clear G2's after the experiences I've had with them on my Yamaha's. I'm having a heck of a time getting the floor tom to sound right. I must have spent an hour to an hour and a half last night working the tuning on both sides. I seated the head, backed off the tension and made sure the tone was the same at each lug while the opposite side head was on carpet to deaden it. I tuned up, down and just can't seem to find the range. What kind of tuning have you guys used on yours? It's a 16" floor tom. I got the 16" on my yamaha's growling after 15 minutes, I'm just not sure what I'm missing or is this common with this series from Pearl?

I've never had this hard a time getting a drum to sound good.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Re: Pearl Export Tuning Question

Several things could be at play here. I'm a Remo guy myself, but the G2 is similiar to the Emperor head, as a standard 2 ply head. Might work, might not. Sounds like the later in your case. Most cats put Pinstripes on Pearl Export kits because that's about the extent of that drums versatility. Depending on what Yamaha series you're used to tuning, might be like goin' from a Porsche to a VW. You'll get that VW to run, but it ain't gonna sing like a Porsche. And then you did say "donated" right? Could be those drums were "ridin hard and put away wet". Might check bearing edges for troubles.

konaboy

Pioneer Member

I'm still messing with it, it almost seems to be the reso head that won't tune properly, lots of overtone and some weird ones at that. I think I'm going to take it apart again, both heads off and start over. (insert frustrated smiley here!)

And Harry you're right about the Porsche/VW I've got a 1980's kit that yamaha made prior to the RC series, tuning them is pretty easy for the most part with the exception of the 12" tom, it's a little finicky.

On another note I tried an Evans Emad on the bass of the pearl set and I'm pretty impressed. I'm used to using a Superkick1 on my yamaha's and the guy at Guitar Center recommended trying the Emad instead and I tell you the Emad brought this pearl bass a new life!

I called GC today about the tuning problem and they were really cool about it and said if I wanted I could bring it in and they'd have a look. Never had to have someone help me tune a drum before so it's a little shot to the old pride. :-( I'm beginning to wonder if this floor tom isn't going to be wearing an EC2 by the time it's over??

konaboy

Pioneer Member

After taking both heads off and starting from scratch I think the problem is the reso, think it's bad. Just finger tight it's giving the really weird overtones that won't stop. Good possibility it's that head, it's a reso that came off of one of my drums when I switched them in the fall, I thought it had some life left but evidently not. So off to GC in the morning to pick up a new G1, hopefully that cures the problem (fingers crossed.)

Ironcobra

Platinum Member
TUNING POSSIBILITIES

there are so many different possible combinations of tuning, top skin tight, bottom middle, kinda tight, top lose, middle tight

whenever i sit down to tune my drums, i just cant seem to find the RIGHT one, it overwhelms me and i end up just walking away......so many different heads to choose from soo many different combonations, it is really all worth it????

post what combinations you have and what it sounds like.....low....medium heavy metal sound? i really need some ideas cuz ive just about had it