tom tom angles

zakhopper316

Silver Member
hey, i was wandering what angles you guys play you tums at (flat, almost flat, pretty angled type of thing) i know that anything more than you can compensate with your hand to get a 90 degree angle is too much, because you get the most bounce and control at 90 degrees, but i guess i cheat my toms some, i am just angled a tad. is there anyone here that has a pretty drastic angle? and if so how does it effect your playing? can you still get a 3 stroke moeller stroke from it? or doubles?

MikeM

Platinum Member
I play my toms as low as they'll go since I like to sit low. I angle my toms so that when go to hit them, I minimize how much I have to raise my arms and not hit rimshots. I still want to be able to play rimshots so they can't be too tilted. That's where the balance is and how I go about setting the angle.

I assume that by 90 degrees, you mean the angle your stroke makes with the head. It can't really be 90 since the hoop sticks up above the head so it's something less - maybe 85 degrees or so with a rimshot occurring around 87 degrees (just making up the numbers; they're probably close, but you get the idea). In any case, it's not the angle of your toms; it's the angle that your sticks make contact with them.

zakhopper316

Silver Member
of corse, like i said, i think if its anything more than your hand can compensate for to get that 90 degree or really i guess 85 88 degree's , then your toms are probable tilted to much.

and i don't think you would want to twist your wrist up to get that angle either because it takes away a full stroke you know.

does anyone have their toms completely flat? punk rock style?

I've always wandered why allot of punk drummers have flat toms opposed to other styles? i don't see to many jazz guys with completely flat toms, never seen a metal drummer with flat drums

MikeM

Platinum Member
I've always wandered why allot of punk drummers have flat toms opposed to other styles? i don't see to many jazz guys with completely flat toms, never seen a metal drummer with flat drums
Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that it's all just for looks.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
One issue I know of is posture. I tend to slouch and drop my shoulders, so I have the snare lower and toms a bit angled. I also have really long limbs and a short waist, which aggravates the positioning of things. I have a friend who has incredible posture behind the kit, with his shoulders up square, and more normal proportions. He actually tilts the snare away from him like a trad grip drummer, but plays match. His forearm is parallel to the floor and he's hitting rimshots this way. Then all his toms are also flat and it's not an affectation for him to play up on the mounted toms (he also plays a 20" kick). I sat on another fellows kit who is taller and he had his throne really high. He gave up having his thigh parallel to the ground for being able to sit up over the kit. With flat toms it was still surprisingly easy to get around on his kit because you were up over it and it was all laid out even at a natural height.

But I've seen kids where it is obviously an affectation and they have an awkward time lifting their arms to hit the mounted toms.