Tom resonant head ideas

zfactor01

Has anyone ever used a P3 as a resonant side head on their toms, clear or coated? I know that the P3’s are great, and pretty popular resonant heads on kick drums. I’ve been stuck between deciding on using coated ambassadors, or coated P3’s on the resonant side of my toms. I’m looking to create a dark, warm, and controlled sound for my toms. I’m definitely a Remo fan. My plan is to use coated pinstripes as the batter side heads on my toms, and then either coated ambassadors or coated P3’s on the bottom. Any suggestions, recommendations, or experience is greatly appreciated.

TK-421

Definitely coated Ambassadors.

Since PS3s feature a built-in tone control ring, it can be difficult to excite them and get them to resonate when not being struck directly (i.e. being on the bottom of the tom). But PS3s do work as bass drum resos because the much larger size of the batter head combined with the much harder punch of the beater moves a lot more air than smaller toms struck by sticks. This greater air movement excites the reso head more easily, so a PS3 is okay in this situation. But not for toms. Unless you want them sounding completely dead.

iCe

Gonna suggest the coated Ambassadors too. Never used a coated reso, but judging from other drummers experiences and vids (like Benny Greb) it sounds like you want to do that. Using a PS3 as reso sounds like a bad decisions to me and would kill too much resonance. Played on a house kit once and some genius had put a clear Pinstripe on the reso side and a clear Ambassador on the batter side; sounded really dead.

zfactor01

Thanks for the input y'all! Coated ambassadors it will be! I'll put another reply up when I've got all my new heads on to let you know how they sound. Thanks again for all the input! Love the community we have as drummers!

C.M. Jones

Diplomats, which are very thin, will have less sustain than Ambassadors. With single-ply heads, less mass means less potential for vibration. Add coating to Diplomats, and you'll have an even more muffled sound.

Iristone

Diplomats, which are very thin, will have less sustain than Ambassadors. With single-ply heads, less mass means less potential for vibration. Add coating to Diplomats, and you'll have an even more muffled sound.
The OP wants a controlled sound, so I think what you're describing might be very suitable to him.

roncadillac

I'm giving the Evans reso 7 a try again. My pearl midtown 13" floor tom is surprisingly overly resonant, I've actually been using it as a concert tom with a hydraulic on top. This is my first pearl kit and it seems like the combination of slight undersized shells and a very sharp edge lets the drum ring on for 30+ seconds before I took the reso off and added the hydraulic. I liked the sound at first but I find myself having to lay into the drum super hard to excite it which in turn causes me to over play the rest of the kit. I also prefer coated heads and single ply when possible. I'm going to try the reso 7 as the reso and a UV1 as the batter, in theory the reso 7 head should produce a shorter sustain (especially when combined with the film used for the uv1) while still 'sealing the chamber' and allowing the drum to speak. The UV1, while single ply coated 10mil head, speaks in a darker tone with a very slight reduction in overtones vs a 'standard' coated 10mil head such as the g1 or ambassador. I don't use muffling inside my kick and keep my snare pretty tight, both have a nice attack with some body underneath... Then I hit my floor tom lol.

sumdrumguy

I recently put coated resonant heads on my toms. In my case Aquarian Hi Frequency heads. A little less sustain, but a fuller sound throughout. More of the drum's fundamental, with less overtones.

I really like it. Bass and guitar player noticed, and complimented the choice.