Tom Preferences?

If it's "choose one" then it'll be a 16" floor. "Choose two": 12 and 16. 3 = 12/16/18 and 4 would be 12/13/16/18.

I prefer the sound and feel of floor toms but I need a rack tom to compliment it. If I had to choose one, it would definitely be the floor tom(s).

I prefer the sound and feel of floor toms but I need a rack tom to compliment it. If I had to choose one, it would definitely be the floor tom(s).
I like that floor toms dont compromise cymbal positioning for me. With rack toms, more than one and something must give up some space.

I will put rack toms in a basket and place them like floor toms.

I'm attracted to Power
and Fast
10x9 12x10 14x12
oops sorry
9x10 10x12 12x14
oops sorry again
10x12 9x10 12x14
there that should do it.

Old Fashioned: RB Gretsch 8x12 14x14
& Premier: 8x12 8x14
In previous Lives

sum up.
Power Toms saved what I think OP is bringing up; that dissatisfaction..
However if Not willing to place said power tom on a short err truncated err not tall Bass say 18" then fergetabouit

Tom Toms were a bit thorn in the side till I went Power and Fast Floor
It was unplanned; It was all the dealer had in stock..

Sure did bring me into the Modern Age 21st century,
Everyone that hears them or plays them are blown away. I just chuckle and can only say "I know, i know..:

I think Sonor was way ahead
Gretsch Caught Up
In the (serious) Power Toms wars

Last edited:
bizzaro rock-o treat -o

``````````````
Now draw that down to a jazz context Fusion set and I'm in..

Last edited:
I had a 14" mounted tom and didn't care for it, but I love a 14" floor tom.

Like mounted and floor toms equally, as long as they're 10 and 12 mounted and 14 for the floor.
until I actually tried a 14 inch floor, I NEVER even considered it or really even knew they existed. I always was an 18"ft player, once I had a 15" on my oak custom kit.

but when I got my SC in 10/12/14/20, I think a 12/14/20 is my ideal set up moving forward on any kit I plan to purchase. That's of course for new kits I dream up. I still play my 19070 slingy 13/16/22.

If I had not passed up a Tama Starclassic exotix kit, I'd be all rack toms with a rack system. I know guys who really dislike "hanging floor toms", but years ago I had to order the longer set of tom legs just to get 1.5" more height on my floor toms, and it still felt low. I'm also under the impression that positioning them has more options.

exotix 1.jpgexotix 2.jpgexotix 3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a one up/two down player, so it's all about the low end for me. If the music didn't need it, I'd eliminate my rack altogether like how Vlad does in the metal band Jinjer.
One time I did a floor tom in the rack position & it was cool (for a while).

Back