Tom mounting advice on flat based stands

RockNGrohl

I'm selling my older Mapex kit. I love my kit but it is time to move on to something new. I'm including the hardware that came with it in the sale. So to augment the new kit I really want I need some new hardware. The old kit had bass mounted toms. The Ludwig Signet kit I like has a virgin bass drum with toms mounted on cymbal stands.
My question is, I love the new flat style base stands. Are they too light duty to support a tom? If so should I just go with double braced hardware? The toms are 10" and 12". I'm not a hard hitter but i'd like some piece of mind about tom stability. Any other pros and cons about flat based stands I should know about?

Groov-E

Silver Member
I'm selling my older Mapex kit. I love my kit but it is time to move on to something new. I'm including the hardware that came with it in the sale. So to augment the new kit I really want I need some new hardware. The old kit had bass mounted toms. The Ludwig Signet kit I like has a virgin bass drum with toms mounted on cymbal stands.
My question is, I love the new flat style base stands. Are they too light duty to support a tom? If so should I just go with double braced hardware? The toms are 10" and 12". I'm not a hard hitter but i'd like some piece of mind about tom stability. Any other pros and cons about flat based stands I should know about?

I have ludwig atlas flat base and there is no issue with larger cymbals or mounting a tom on them. I would suggest not mounting two toms on a same stand, that way if your guitar player trips and knocks over the stand you dont have all your eggs in the same basket...

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
10 & 12 will be fine on one stand, you could even put a 12 & 13 on it. Most of today's "lightweight" stands are pretty sturdy.

The well-known secret of those stands is that they tuck-in next to your kick, so the toms sit over kick better. :)

Bermuda

RockNGrohl

10 & 12 will be fine on one stand, you could even put a 12 & 13 on it. Most of today's "lightweight" stands are pretty sturdy.

The well-known secret of those stands is that they tuck-in next to your kick, so the toms sit over kick better. :)

Bermuda
Thanks guys! I love the idea of the virgin bass drum and the closer I can get my toms together the better.

G

Ghostnote

I wouldn't try to mount toms off flat based stands. I use ATLAS Classic flat based hardware and the straight stands work ok for larger cymbals, but there's no way I would add toms into the mix.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I agree with bermuda. Today's flat base stands can hold two toms up to 13".
Not my first choice though.

Skrivarna

I have used one of the old Premier flat-base stands to hold a 16" crash and a 10" tom for many years. For me the trick was to mount it as close as possible to the post. No problems at all then.

I could possibly mount something larger, but don't think I would go double.

presto123

I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by "flat based" stands, but now that I know, I find them to be quite ugly. Not a fan at all.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I wouldn't try to mount toms off flat based stands. I use ATLAS Classic flat based hardware and the straight stands work ok for larger cymbals, but there's no way I would add toms into the mix.

I agree with Ghostnote. A flat based stand just does not have the mechanical advantage of triangulation and weight distribution (how do you like that sniffy jargon?) that a single or double-braced stand would have.

Worst of all, it would look top heavy and out of proportion. And appearance, as we all know, is EVERYTHING!

GeeDeeEmm

starclassicsilver

I tried to put my 13" x 9" LCM rack tom on a DW 6000 series cymbal stand but it was obviously too heavy and the stand wasn't quite vertical with the weight. Even the rubber feet were bending a bit. Went back to a single braced Yamaha tripod stand and no problem. Lighter/smaller toms might work. Now have an Atlas mount on the BD for the tom...happy days!