Tom Mounted On Cymbal Stand-Sympathetic Ring

ricky

I recently tuned my toms up and open for a change, and I'm liking it...but I noticed that my 13" tom, which is mounted on the crash cymbal stand, will ring (excessively) when I hit the cymbal, the vibrations coming through the cymbal stand.

So I could: change my tuning, use muffling, put the tom on a snare stand, live with it...

but are there any other ideas?

Thanks.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It could also be ringing because the tom is now tuned to a range where the frequency from the cymbal excites the head(s) and causes the drum to ring. If you move the drum to a snare stand and it stops, it's the stand. If it doesn't stop, it's the tuning.

It sounds weird, but it does happen. When I very first started drumming, I had an old rotary phone in my room. There was a cymbal on my kit that would cause the phone to ring every time I crashed it. The cymbal was exciting the bell and I could hear it. I had to move the phone to make it stop.

ricky

It could also be ringing because the tom is now tuned to a range where the frequency from the cymbal excites the head(s) and causes the drum to ring. If you move the drum to a snare stand and it stops, it's the stand. If it doesn't stop, it's the tuning.

It sounds weird, but it does happen. When I very first started drumming, I had an old rotary phone in my room. There was a cymbal on my kit that would cause the phone to ring every time I crashed it. The cymbal was exciting the bell and I could hear it. I had to move the phone to make it stop.
It must be both the tuning and the stand. I took it off the cymbal stand, and it stops...

but I tuned it (even higher!), and that solves it, even on the stand.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
Sounds like it's related to resonant frequencies.
Could you try the tom on another stand (if you have one) that has a different mass and hence different resonant frequency?

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I wonder if filling the hollow tubes of the tom/cymbal stand with BBs, sand, or even spray insulation would change the resonance frequency enough to cancel the sympathetic ring?

GeeDeeEmm

vyacheslav

I'm with Gee Dee Emm above.

If the tom is on an arm that is clamped to the cymbal stand, try using something that won't transmit the vibrations easily where the arm is clamped. Under the clamp, you could try some Rubbermaid shelf liner from the Dollar Store, or you could even try a piece of a mouse pad or a piece of Dr. Scholl's Gel Insole that goes inside your shoe.

You may also want to try a Cympad for your cymbal. They are not felt, but are a thick, cellulose foam that seems to inhibit the transfer of vibrations moreso than a standard cymbal felt.

ricky

Looking at those Cympads, I came upon another solution. Looks expensive but not sure where to buy it (edit, guess you buy it from them in Norway...52 bucks for 1!). As of now, I'm going with the simple higher tuning solution:

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I had this issue for a short bit and got a piece of thin rubber and wrapped it around the stand. Then put the tom mount clamp over it for isolation. Tuning can make a difference as mentioned here or use a snare stand.