Tom extension arms/mounts

smiffy11FTW

Hiya chaps,

I'm having issues positioning my toms how/where i'd like. I think the answer would be too have basically tom arm that comes out further of the ball and socket joint. I've looked everywhere and there doesn't seem to be one - they all seem to be that same standard size that ive circle in the image below. I understand theres a huge weight issue of having to support a heavy tom even further out from where it is now but i thought there would be an extension or something similar out there!

Thanks guys :)

png.jpg

Attachments

• png.jpg
    png.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 2
Maybe try a grabber clamp. One end attaches to the cymbal arm in your triple tree and hopefully the other end reaches farther out than the standard factory hole. Put your tom arm into that. Here's two different clamps I have ...... that both give some extra reach.

Attachments

• grabber clamps.JPG
    grabber clamps.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Does your problem come from the nut of the tom tree touching the tom once installed ?

If you rotate the clamp and drum so everything is in a straight line it will stick out farther.

That's what I would suggest too.

I have some L-rods with a short bend and a long bend, so options do exist, but what you have is as long as I've seen. The short ones I have make the 90* bend almost right out of the poly ball.

apologies, what do you mean by the nut of the tom tree?
Sorry, I'm French, I may not be totally clear sometimes :)
Winston-Wolf did well. I had problem with a Yamaha mount because of this wing nut - during a concert, not my kit. And what you can do is reversing the tom tree so that the triangle shape points toward the drummer and not the audience. That way, the wing nuts will be outward.
I have a Premier tom tree that has the same shape, and I turned the mount over, it wasn't for the wing nuts, but to draw away the toms, that were otherwise too close to the drummer.

A larger view of you set up would be helpful though.

by clamp do you mean the triple holed attachment or do just mean that toms singular mount with the ball and socket on

If you have the L-arm aligned straight and the tom on the L-arm straight on it will give you the most distance front-to-back possible in that design.
Like this:

So in your set up move the L-arm back to center, and then position the tom so it is straight with the arm.

by clamp do you mean the triple holed attachment or do just mean that toms singular mount with the ball and socket on

The whole thing. Please excuse my incredible crude drawing, its early. Anywho, the top is what you have, the bottom is what I described.

20200429_090929.jpg

EDIT: just like the pic Mr. Wolf provided. He thinks fast, he works fast, he makes posts faster than I type. So pretty please, with sugar on top, rotate the #$%^!ng drum! Lol

This is why I play a one-up/one-down kit and keep my "up tom" in a snare stand. I grew tired of positioning arms and mounts a long time ago. I realize that my solution isn't practical for players who want several toms, however.

This is why I play a one-up/one-down kit and keep my "up tom" in a snare stand. I grew tired of positioning arms and mounts a long time ago. I realize that my solution isn't practical for players who want several toms, however.

It isn't, but until someone invents rocket-powered floating tom toms, we're always going to be at the mercy of tom stand designs. :(

Aethstetics is another problem. We all want our hardware to look "good," and not just functional. If it was truly only about function all we'd need is a Pearl rack and Pearl tom arms and we could put as many toms as we want exactly where we wanted and nothing would ever budge even a quarter of an inch.

It isn't, but until someone invents rocket-powered floating tom toms, we're always going to be at the mercy of tom stand designs. :(

Aesthetics is another problem. We all want our hardware to look "good," and not just functional. If it was truly only about function all we'd need is a Pearl rack and Pearl tom arms and we could put as many toms as we want exactly where we wanted and nothing would ever budge even a quarter of an inch.

In all truth, aesthetics is a major reason I like a snare stand for my tom. I've always approved of the vintage look of that setup. I also prefer a bass drum with no mounts because it's easier to make tuning adjustments, change heads, and so on without having to dismantle toms and related hardware.

I'm with you on Pearl's wacky mount system. It's functional but undesirable in other ways. A snare stand allows me to shun it completely. Just remove the OptiMount hardware from a tom. Presto -- it's snare-stand ready.

I’m so used to improvising with kits in concert (with beat up kits); with rehearsal beaten kits that I’m not that meticulous with tom adjustment. Of course it needs to be in my reach and don’t touch the BD hoop or anything but really, tom positioning is not a millimetre thing. As long as you can hit it. it’s ok.

Back