Tom addons

Hey guys

I'm thinking of buying 13" and 16" toms for add-ons for my Pearl Forum fusion kit, and was just wondering would they sound okay if they were different makes, or would it sound ridiculous if I didn't find the exact same make toms.

Also, what are your thoughts on colour. Should I get them in wine red like my drums are now or shouldn't I worry.

Mikecore

Silver Member
This is all from the American perspective of the Forum series, so some things might be different. I've never bought drums in the UK, so I don't know. Onward.

It would help to know what different makes you were considering. A Forum kit is an intermediate level kit at best, so mixing that with Vision or Masters MCX would be a bit off. I prefer to match the series whenever possible, and Pearl makes the Forum 10x13" and 16x16" toms available as component/add-on drums, so you certainly have those to work with. The only concerns you will have will be if you want 8" toms or 18" toms, as neither of those are available in the Forum line. You can use Vision toms there if you don't mind the mismatch of lugs. With good heads and tuning you can blend the drums fairly well.

Also, beware of the urge to tune each drum to itself when sticking a 13" between a 12" and a 14". I have read many complaints on this site about 12-13-14 tuning issues, and I think many drummers don't adjust their tuning to account for the extra drums. They just add the extra sizes thinking that the drum will do all of the work for them. The fact is, the 10" and 12" you likely already have will have to come up a bit in pitch, and if your 14" tom won't go down low enough, then the 10", 12" and 13" will all have to be tuned above their normal ranges. The 16" is a six-lug drum if I remember correctly, so be prepared for that as well.

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
I would probably avoid the 13 - Maybe sub an 8 for it?

8 - 10 - 12 - 14 - 16 is a pretty good run with better intervals across the range.

You might even find that adding a 16 will do enough for you.

This is all from the American perspective of the Forum series, so some things might be different. I've never bought drums in the UK, so I don't know. Onward.

It would help to know what different makes you were considering. A Forum kit is an intermediate level kit at best, so mixing that with Vision or Masters MCX would be a bit off. I prefer to match the series whenever possible, and Pearl makes the Forum 10x13" and 16x16" toms available as component/add-on drums, so you certainly have those to work with. The only concerns you will have will be if you want 8" toms or 18" toms, as neither of those are available in the Forum line. You can use Vision toms there if you don't mind the mismatch of lugs. With good heads and tuning you can blend the drums fairly well.

Also, beware of the urge to tune each drum to itself when sticking a 13" between a 12" and a 14". I have read many complaints on this site about 12-13-14 tuning issues, and I think many drummers don't adjust their tuning to account for the extra drums. They just add the extra sizes thinking that the drum will do all of the work for them. The fact is, the 10" and 12" you likely already have will have to come up a bit in pitch, and if your 14" tom won't go down low enough, then the 10", 12" and 13" will all have to be tuned above their normal ranges. The 16" is a six-lug drum if I remember correctly, so be prepared for that as well.
Okay, thanks for the advice. Yes, I already have a 10" but I find that my lack of tuning capability makes the snare resonate a lot more, which results in me just taking it off. I didn't know that Pearl actually made those toms as add ons, so I will have a look and probably just buy the 16". Thanks a lot :)