Today the music store lost the sale

single-ply

On another thread, some were grousing about the prices that Steve Maxwell gets for much of his higher end stuff. All of the above posts sum it up.

Knowledgeable and helpful staff who know their stuff. I'd rather give Steve or my local drum shop (Tommy's Drum Shop here in Austin) a 10% up-charge on items simply because it's nice to talk to people who have insightful knowledge.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

On another thread, some were grousing about the prices that Steve Maxwell gets for much of his higher end stuff. All of the above posts sum it up.

Knowledgeable and helpful staff who know their stuff. I'd rather give Steve or my local drum shop (Tommy's Drum Shop here in Austin) a 10% up-charge on items simply because it's nice to talk to people who have insightful knowledge.
yep..that is why i go to Columbus Pro Percussion first every time...ben a customer there since day one back in the 80's

dmacc_2

Yup. Sometimes you get what you pay for (or not).

I'm not sure I've ever purchased much of anything from the famous big big box stores. Admittedly I've purchased smaller stuff from Amazon.

100% of all of my drums, cymbals and for the most part hardware have come from Steve Maxwells, Drum Center of Portsmouth, Memphis Drum Shop and a couple small cymbal dealers.

I have no time or patience to deal with the chains and the lack of knowledge and service that come with it.

Old Dog new Cans

I just don't feel the need to pay someone more, locally--simply because they are a local "small-time" business owner. They ALWAYS jack the prices 30-60%. . .maybe because they do not get the deals the big box stores get. Maybe because they can. But, whatever the reason, I'll take my chances online. Sweetwater, Cascio, MF, DCP, are all selling on Ebay. I find it simple and easy to go there. Free shipping from Sweetwater and it gets to my pad in less than 3 days EVERY time. Helps to be in the same state.

The ONE music store in my town, I hate it. I bought a Tama boom there in April? $70 or something. Looks like a twig compared to the ddrum RX boom I got online for $20 less. The ddrum product is sturdy, bigger, has mem-locks. Makes the pricier Tama piece seem child-like in comparison. That was the last thing I purchased there. I won't buy a guitar pick or a pair of drumsticks from them.

Lee-Bro

In these "buy local" discussions, we (proverbial "we") tend to talk about supporting the community and what gets lost is the historical context that the arts not too long ago, and to a measurable degree still today, relied on benefactors and patrons who could afford premium art & music performance tickets, commissioned pieces, etc., noblesse oblige if you will.

There's nothing wrong w/ getting gear and supplies cheaper if you have to. If you can afford to pay a little bit more (not a lot more) for the local store and the service they provide is worth it, then that's great. But if the local merchant's service if of poor quality, then they are no more deserving of your business just because of geography.

drumhammerer

Silver Member
yep, maybe these days it should be more like support your online independent shops, as that's where most everything has gone unless you're lucky enough to live close to a good drum shop. I would avoid anyplace owned by Bane Crapital or amazon, as they're just overblown corporate entities intent on running everyone out of business, and monopolizing the market. Look to cable co.'s and Ticketbaster to see what happens with that situation. Not pretty. The independents are the only thing keeping them honest at the moment, so if they go down watch out! I go out of my way to avoid those big corporate places, as I want choices and competition in the future. Not Soviet style monopolies everywhere with sky high prices and lousy service. With the MAP pricing you don't really save anything shopping at those places anyway. Think about the future, and who your money is going to before giving all your business to some of these entities.