Today the music store lost the sale

theseer2

HERE'S A FUNNY FOR YOU. Went into GC Scottsdale and one guy in the drum dept. Of course as a courtesy he asked if he could help me find something. I said "Yeah. I need a new throw off for my snare and wondering if you have the DW mag in stock." He thought a minute and asked me "What does it do?"
Thats what you get for expecting GC or SA to actually stock anything you would really want to purchase.
You can go to the GC website (google search the local SA store) and sort out what the store carries before setting foot.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Everyone has an instance where a shop has talked themselves out of business.

Mine happened in January when I was doing the homework for a new kit. Walked into PMT which is the big chain store near me and said I was looking for a kit in downbeat sizes. The store is a Ludwig stockist and he didn't know what down beat sizes were. He tried bullshitting me that a 20x14 bass drum is a special order and downbeat sizes have a 16 floor not 14 because he had old Sonors.

Online is the easiest place to buy from it cuts the salesman crap out. Just do your homework before hand

Chollyred

Thats what you get for expecting GC or SA to actually stock anything you would really want to purchase.
You can go to the GC website (google search the local SA store) and sort out what the store carries before setting foot.
My local GC's actual inventory rarely matches their online inventory. We have a local chain with only a few stores that often beats GC prices. When I was looking for a new hardware pack, GC had the Pearl 930 pack for a little over $400 and was going to have to order it. This local chain (Ken Stanton Music) had it in stock and sold it for $250. They're now my first call.

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
They're starting to care now that Reverb and Sweetwater have become serious competitors. :oops:
I haven't been playing lately, but over the last several years almost all of my purchases have come from Sweetwater. They have been consistently great to work with. I will only set foot in a GC or Sam Ash if I'm in a hurry and need something on the way to a gig. Amazon is also good for small items like sticks or heads.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I like to support local music stores-sort of a feel sorry for them since they are competing with a global economy online. Anyways I tell them I'd like to support their business but this is what I want and what I can buy it for online from Amazon, Sweetwater, etc. Either they can meet it or not. Since I moved I've just ordered on Amazon but recently discovered there is a GC here and went by for a quick visit to check it out. Bought a pair of sticks just so I wasn't just looking-which I was so sort of silly of me. Online shopping is so convenient though.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I have been doing business with Sweetwater for several years and they are great. My sales engineer has helped me with prices and always stays in touch via phone call or email. I also like their payment plans which now stretch out to six months on items over $400.
If you are fortunate to have good/great credit, their Sweetwater credit card is great when they pair items with 36- or 48-month 0% interest payments as well. I always tend to lean to them first on big-ticket items. My gig $$ tends to pay for these kinds of items so it's nice that I can just gig and pay as a I go for that stuff. I ALWAYS pay off the CC before the 0% interest cycle is over.

ottog1979

I'm also a hugs Sweetwater fan. Everything is guaranteed by them for 24 months - a policy I've used.

philrudd

I live in a rather remote area, so I rarely make the trek to an actual music store, and rely on online purchases 99% of the time.

Does anyone (besides, apparently, me and TheSeer2) use Cascio Interstate? I've used them almost exclusively for several years, and I've been very pleased with the service and shipping speed. The prices aren't always the rock-bottom lowest, but they're always very competitive, and I'm willing to pay a couple of bucks more just to avoid the headaches that come with other suppliers (delayed shipping, lost orders, wrong orders, etc. etc.).

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I've been shopping from Cascio Interstate for a very long time. They have a great selection and I've always had great experiences dealing with them.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Does anyone (besides, apparently, me and TheSeer2) use Cascio Interstate?
I've used them in the past with good results, also Music 123. For those who don't know, Music 123 started as a mom and pop store in 1928. Check them out, it's a good site.

Amazon is actually a good option because they list independent sellers and sometimes better pricing. Depending on the shop (or Amazon's processing the sale) you can usually get free shipping.

Not long ago I wanted a Yamaha Crosstown HH stand, they were $129 everywhere. Nothing wrong with the price, most HH stands are more than that. But I wanted to save tax, or shipping, or both. So rather than Musician's Friend who ships for free but charges tax (we're both in California,) I went with an independent shop in the Phoenix area who didn't charge tax* and shipped for free. Because they're right next to California, the stand would also arrive faster than from Reverb or Sweetwater. Could the price have been negotiated instead? Not always so easy if you're not at the store in person, but it never hurts to ask!

Bermuda

* Not sure what the out-of-state tax regulation is now, there have been measure to charge tax on all mail-order & internet sales regardless if the shipper is in the same state as the recipient.
Are you talking about Arizona Drum Shop?

HERE'S A FUNNY FOR YOU. Went into GC Scottsdale and one guy in the drum dept. Of course as a courtesy he asked if he could help me find something. I said "Yeah. I need a new throw off for my snare and wondering if you have the DW mag in stock." He thought a minute and asked me "What does it do?"
Yeah all of the GC's down here in the valley are pretty bad. I just buy stuff online unless I have a coupon for GC and I know exactly where in the store it is.

I live in a rather remote area, so I rarely make the trek to an actual music store, and rely on online purchases 99% of the time.

Does anyone (besides, apparently, me and TheSeer2) use Cascio Interstate? I've used them almost exclusively for several years, and I've been very pleased with the service and shipping speed. The prices aren't always the rock-bottom lowest, but they're always very competitive, and I'm willing to pay a couple of bucks more just to avoid the headaches that come with other suppliers (delayed shipping, lost orders, wrong orders, etc. etc.).
I've used them before. Still enjoy looking through their drum catalog when it comes in the mail.

IBitePrettyHard

Here are some of my anecdotes...

-Sweetwater is exceptional and eager to please, will bend over backwards for your business. Fast deliveries and follow up emails. I recently called Sweetwater with a question and got through to a real live person in 30 seconds, resolved my issue in 4 minutes flat.

-Some Guitar Centers are better than others. My local GC is good, well maintained and nice selection of drums to demo...but I went to another Guitar Center in DC a few days ago, and it was in disarray. Only the cheapest drums were set up, all poorly maintained or abused, nicks and scratches, way out-of-tune, worn heads, a broken snare on display, and drumsticks strewn all over the floor. (Maybe that's why all the better kits were up on the wall, haha). The one guy working the drum department was doing double duty in the Sound department as well, leaving the drums unattended for long stretches. Not his fault, he seemed cool. That branch was probably understaffed and/or poorly managed.

-Guitar Center is a great place to buy drumheads if you like paying 40% more. Ambassador Coated heads are $21 before tax.

-Alpha Music in Virginia Beach sells Bliss cymbals for $40-60 cheaper than anywhere you can find them online. I suspect they do that with other items as well.

-Chuck Levin's in DC sells some of their stuff cheaper if you buy it IN the store. I just got a new Meinl Extra Dry 18" for $315 ($25 cheaper than the going rate online.)

-All the online retailers (like Amazon and Reverb) have started charging sales tax. It really sucks, but I guess it was inevitable.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Music123 is guitar center, like musicians friend and woodwind and brasswind, and music and arts

Just found out something interesting about GC and it's sister companies/affiliates. They are all owned by Bain Capitol. BC also owns AMC Theatres, Artisan Entertainment, Aspen Education Group, Brookstone, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Canada Goose, DIC Entertainment, Domino's Pizza, DoubleClick, Dunkin' Donuts, D&M Holdings, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), iHeartMedia, KB Toys, Sealy, Sports Authority, Staples, Toys "R" Us, Warner Music Group, Fingerhut, The Weather Channel, and Apple Leisure Group, as well as hundreds more. Bain Capitol was founded in 1984 by Bill Bain, Mitt Romney, and 3 others. Yes, that Mitt Romney.

This is why in the end, you are paying the same price regardless of where you shop, and why mom and pop shops are being driven out. They can't compete with a multi-billion dollar company that owns a huge portion of the economic market.

So if you go to GC, stop at BK, then go watch a movie at AMC, you are giving your $$$ to the same company essentially.

theseer2

Just found out something interesting about GC and it's sister companies/affiliates. They are all owned by Bain Capitol. BC also owns AMC Theatres, Artisan Entertainment, Aspen Education Group, Brookstone, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Canada Goose, DIC Entertainment, Domino's Pizza, DoubleClick, Dunkin' Donuts, D&M Holdings, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), iHeartMedia, KB Toys, Sealy, Sports Authority, Staples, Toys "R" Us, Warner Music Group, Fingerhut, The Weather Channel, and Apple Leisure Group, as well as hundreds more. Bain Capitol was founded in 1984 by Bill Bain, Mitt Romney, and 3 others. Yes, that Mitt Romney.

This is why in the end, you are paying the same price regardless of where you shop, and why mom and pop shops are being driven out. They can't compete with a multi-billion dollar company that owns a huge portion of the economic market.

So if you go to GC, stop at BK, then go watch a movie at AMC, you are giving your $$$ to the same company essentially.
The Bain of our existence, creating mega monopolies to funnel all the money to themselves and screw the worker, small business owner and consumer. BAN EM ALL!

To rephrase my point earlier, the OP basically gave his money to the same people. Too big to fail. Sad.