Today the music store lost the sale

Arkansmay

Went in completely enthused to spend nearly $2000 which is a lot for me at the moment. Couldn't get any help. Went and asked if the drum guy was here, he said he would be there in a moment so I went and played the electronic drums for 15 minutes. I go back and find the guy BSing with the other employees and ask, "Does anyone want to sell some drums today?" He says, "sure!" I reply, "I can't tell. Seriously man, what is going on in here?" He gets serious after I call him out on it and we go back into the drum room.

He proceeds to prove unable to give me prices, color options and availability on items that Im looking at via the company website. He can't even tell me what they have in stock. He can't see in the store computer, what I can see on my phone apparently and tells me that Black is the only option they can get in the shells I am after. What? I am literally aghast and tell the kid that he's making it impossible for me to buy drums from him.

Crazy old man yelling at clouds, yes I know.. But try as I might to shop local, even if it was a national chain, Musicians Friend got my money today.

I can't wait til it all gets here and hope the shipping gods smile upon me and deliver intact drums!

Arkansmay

And its the same owners as MF most likely. So no one cares when just a few own everything.
Really? Interesting. I had exact dollar amounts in internet carts across 3 different websites in the end. Zero variation in cost, it all came down to shipping and who had what in stock.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Really? Interesting. I had exact dollar amounts in internet carts across 3 different websites in the end. Zero variation in cost, it all came down to shipping and who had what in stock.
That's MAP (minimum advertised pricing) that dealers are bound to in terms of the price they post on most items. In theory, if you can speak to someone in person, the prices are negotiable, especially when everyone carries tgat item and that seller could lose a sale.

Roy E. Munson

That's MAP (minimum advertised pricing) that dealers are bound to in terms of the price they post on most items. In theory, if you can speak to someone in person, the prices are negotiable, especially when everyone carries tgat item and that seller could lose a sale.
EXCATLY!!!! If you're really serious pick up the phone or email a company. Tell them exactly what you're looking for and that you're going to make a few other calls. Guaranteed you'll get someone cool that will work with you to get your business. Dont be afraid to ask and/or tell them what you want and what you want to spend! Its a buyers market. You have the advantage. TAKE IT!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Couldn't get any help. Went and asked if the drum guy was here, he said he would be there in a moment
I have the same problem at our GC. Never anyone in the drum area. I have even gotten my own heads and sticks from behind the counter and no one seems to care.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
My local GC is just as bad. I once had an employee push past me while I was browsing so he could go play one of the electronic kits. No "can I help you?" and not even an "excuse me," he just slid on by me so he could go lay down the sick beat he had on his mind at the moment.

Harepy

GC service has alot to be desired, ESPECIALLY in the drum dept. Their online service isn't much better. I've been chasing a new drum pedal all week and have sent emails to 5 different branches this week. They state that they WILL respond to you within 24 hours. I've received 0 responses on my queries. Called a couple of them and it took 10-15 minutes each time to locate a "drum" person to answer a simple question. Alas, I'll still probably give them my $$ tomorrow as long as they'll price match Reverb. Not much choice in my neck of the woods if you don't want to wait for shipping. FWIW I'm still waiting on a cymbal I ordered online 10 days ago from them as it appears UPS has lost it.

They're starting to care now that Reverb and Sweetwater have become serious competitors. :oops:
I hadn't even realized until just now, but these days when I'm looking for something, those two are absolutely the first places I check, with Musician's Friend and GC behind even Amazon.

theseer2

Reverb yes, but second is Cascio Interstate, or its stores on AZ or Ebay, I have no experience with sweetwater yet, their name, logo, high prices and marketing/financing schemes scares me away. GC and MF last. Sam Ash need to get the ball rolling or go away, thier website is impossible to search and shop and their stores are not friendly to play, shop and buy. Like GC, they seem angry having to work there. Also they really dont stock anything but items they want to shove on to you, , you have to buy what you want online anyway. If your going to have a retail store, than stock it!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I hadn't even realized until just now, but these days when I'm looking for something, those two are absolutely the first places I check, with Musician's Friend and GC behind even Amazon.
Amazon is actually a good option because they list independent sellers and sometimes better pricing. Depending on the shop (or Amazon's processing the sale) you can usually get free shipping.

Not long ago I wanted a Yamaha Crosstown HH stand, they were $129 everywhere. Nothing wrong with the price, most HH stands are more than that. But I wanted to save tax, or shipping, or both. So rather than Musician's Friend who ships for free but charges tax (we're both in California,) I went with an independent shop in the Phoenix area who didn't charge tax* and shipped for free. Because they're right next to California, the stand would also arrive faster than from Reverb or Sweetwater. Could the price have been negotiated instead? Not always so easy if you're not at the store in person, but it never hurts to ask!

Bermuda

* Not sure what the out-of-state tax regulation is now, there have been measure to charge tax on all mail-order & internet sales regardless if the shipper is in the same state as the recipient.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
It's not just if shipper and seller are in same state. I sell some items on Reverb. I live in KY. No matter where buyer is, Reverb now charges the 6% KY sales tax to buyer.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I also check Amazon for a lot of things. I have Amazon Prime so I get free shipping if Prime. And fast shipping. If item is I stock locally I have even received same day!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

so glad I live within minutes of a great drum shop!!

i hate going into GC or Sam Ash for anything...I play bass as well and grt strings from either place..luckily I only change strings every 3 years...

Destroyer772

Gold Member
I have been doing business with Sweetwater for several years and they are great. My sales engineer has helped me with prices and always stays in touch via phone call or email. I also like their payment plans which now stretch out to six months on items over $400.

johnwesley

Silver Member
HERE'S A FUNNY FOR YOU. Went into GC Scottsdale and one guy in the drum dept. Of course as a courtesy he asked if he could help me find something. I said "Yeah. I need a new throw off for my snare and wondering if you have the DW mag in stock." He thought a minute and asked me "What does it do?"

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

HERE'S A FUNNY FOR YOU. Went into GC Scottsdale and one guy in the drum dept. Of course as a courtesy he asked if he could help me find something. I said "Yeah. I need a new throw off for my snare and wondering if you have the DW mag in stock." He thought a minute and asked me "What does it do?"
ugh...total facepalm moment