Today in Musical History

30 years ago this week marks the anniversary of some groundbreaking music releases: Nirvana’s “Nevermind,” The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik,” The Pixies “Trompe Le Monde” and A Tribe Called Quest’s “The Low End Theory.” Each groundbreaking project dropped Sept. 24, 1991.

1 of those albums is amazing the others aren't bad:)

30 years ago this week marks the anniversary of some groundbreaking music releases: Nirvana’s “Nevermind,” The Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik,” The Pixies “Trompe Le Monde” and A Tribe Called Quest’s “The Low End Theory.” Each groundbreaking project dropped Sept. 24, 1991.

1 of those albums is amazing the others aren't bad:)
Pretty cool that all four came out simultaneously. I know which one is amazing, but I bet some of the class is wondering. :unsure: ;)👍

Pretty cool that all four came out simultaneously. I know which one is amazing, but I bet some of the class is wondering. :unsure: ;)👍
for me it's RHCP... that is ALMOST a perfect album... under the bridge can die in a dumpster fire.. the rest of that album is awesome.

And that's not putting down the other albums.. just not for me:)

but I bet some of the class is wondering.
I already answered. If you didn't know it was Low End Theory, get to Spotify and learn your ear holes.
I like BSSM, but the Tribe album was superior in every way. Sorry, Chad.

September 27th

The Beach Boys make their tv debut on the Ed Sullivan show. They perform "I Get Around" and "Wendy".

Lil Wayne is born.

Avril Lavigne is born.

Cliff Burton, bass player for Metallica, dies in a bus accident when the bus hits black ice, ejects a sleeping Burton out a window, and flips over on top of him.

September 28th

Ed Sullivan is born. His tv show would introduce many new acts to the American public, including the Beatles.

Kenny Wilson, aka Ginger Fish (drummer for Marilyn Manson) is born.

Stevie Wonder releases Songs in the Key of Life.

Garth Brooks album Ropin' the Wind goes #1 and stays there for 18 weeks.

Sept 28, 1974 - Bad Company went to No.1 on the US album chart with their self-titled debut album.

Holy crap... who does that? That's phenomenal.

Sept 28, 1974 - Bad Company went to No.1 on the US album chart with their self-titled debut album.

Holy crap... who does that? That's phenomenal.
Asia. And for a similar reason: they were both bands made up entirely of established industry veterans who already knew how to write and perform music and had serious industry connections and muscle behind them. Emphatically not taking anything away from how good Bad Company could be--Mick Ralphs was an excellent guitarist, Simon Kirke a fantastic drummer and Paul Rodgers has one of the great voices in rock history.

Bill Rieflin is born. He would drum for Ministry and Nine Inch Nails amongst others. Bill died in March of 2020.

October 1st

Bob Dylan appeared at Carnegie Hall in New York City. He introduced his new touring band on this tour, made up of guitarist Robbie Robertson, organist Garth Hudson, bassist Rick Danko, pianist Richard Manual and drummer Levon Helm. They will become known simply as The Band.

Jimi Hendrix is buried at Dunlop Baptist Church in Seattle

Weird day for drummers:

Alan Jackson, drummer for Booker T and the MGs, was shot and killed in a home invasion. His killer was never identified.

The Pretenders were forced to cancel the last leg of a US tour after drummer Martin Chambers put his hand through a windowpane, cutting tendons and arteries.

Andy McVann drummer with Liverpool band The Farm was killed in a car crash during a police chase.

And just because:

My parents were married. I was 7.

October 1st

Bob Dylan appeared at Carnegie Hall in New York City. He introduced his new touring band on this tour, made up of guitarist Robbie Robertson, organist Garth Hudson, bassist Rick Danko, pianist Richard Manual and drummer Levon Helm. They will become known simply as The Band.

Jimi Hendrix is buried at Dunlop Baptist Church in Seattle

Weird day for drummers:

Alan Jackson, drummer for Booker T and the MGs, was shot and killed in a home invasion. His killer was never identified.

The Pretenders were forced to cancel the last leg of a US tour after drummer Martin Chambers put his hand through a windowpane, cutting tendons and arteries.

Andy McVann drummer with Liverpool band The Farm was killed in a car crash during a police chase.

And just because:

My parents were married. I was 7.
Looks like a historically morbid day for drummers.

October 2nd

Don McLean is born.

Mike Rutheford of Genesis is born.

Sting is born.

The Greatful Dead, all 6 members, are busted for possession of marijuana at their Ashbury St house. What? Nooo, not the Greatful Dead. Who woulda thunk it?

Jim Root (Slipknot, Stone Sour) and Tiffany are born.

After an unsuccessful body snatching attempt, the body's of Elvis Presley and his mother Gladys were relocated to Graceland.

Bonnie Tyler goes #1 (lol) in the US with "Total Eclipse of the Heart".

Gene Autry dies at 91.

Tom Petty dies.

Back