To your Surprise

Gruntersdad

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Since you have been drumming, what is the one thing you have learned that was the Light Bulb, surprise, that made you say, Oh Wow.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
It's common courtesy for the OP to provide an example, you know to start the ball rolling.

So let's have it JG :)

My entry: 12 strands instead of 20 or more.

This qualifies because I was definitely surprised and actually said, "Oh Wow"

I'll be doing a thread on snare wires real soon.

Al Strange

Gold Member
When I started playing I played heel down and relatively quietly. This was fine for playing school band, college gigs, and cabaret. However, the first serious band I played with was a veteran punk band whose guitarist played on 10. I had never experienced anything like it in my life and realised that if I was going to continue down the rock path I had to play with a hell of a lot more power and conviction to get over and drive a real rock band. It’s one thing to play along with records at home at a comfortable volume, but it’s another skill set entirely to drive a rock band. I learned to wear ear plugs after that first rehearsal too!! Protect your ears!!:)(y)

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
When I started playing I played heel down and relatively quietly. This was fine for playing school band, college gigs, and cabaret. However, the first serious band I played with was a veteran punk band whose guitarist played on 10. I had never experienced anything like it in my life and realised that if I was going to continue down the rock path I had to play with a hell of a lot more power and conviction to get over and drive a real rock band. It’s one thing to play along with records at home at a comfortable volume, but it’s another skill set entirely to drive a rock band. I learned to wear ear plugs after that first rehearsal too!! Protect your ears!!:)(y)
You bring up a great point...Playing along to records, and driving a real band, is like the difference between being a passenger in a car ride as opposed to being the one who is doing the driving. Very similar yet very different. One has no responsibility, and the other is responsibility

cbphoto

Platinum Member
“OH WOW!” after I tuned up a Starcast mounted tom and it didn’t pitch-shift after I hung it.

”OH WOW!” after I brought an Evans G1 head up to tension after using Remo for 10 years.

”OH WOW!” after learning to play to a click with a full band in tow.

”OH WOW!” after using my Ultra-Phones the first time.

”OH WOW!” after being shown, with modern teaching techniques, that drummers make the best lovers.

”OH WOW!” after installing an Evans EQ2 on my bass drum. “OH CRAP!” after I discovered that model was discontinued.

”OH WOW!” after the guitarist told me the tempo was too slow, then proceeded to play the intro at a slower tempo.

Al Strange

Gold Member
my lightbulb must be burned out...😔

hoping something lights up my world soon
(y):D This might make you chuckle mate…

AzHeat

Platinum Member
When I finally realized the benefits of smaller kits and how unrestrictive they actually are. Wasn't exactly a light bulb moment (more like a battle) as one would think. Mine was on a dimmer turned up very slowly!

Icetech

Gold Member
For me it was how nice drummers are... Not even joking, having played guitar for a very long time i didn't realize what dicks guitar players are to each other, they don't try to lift each other up but are more like catty girls in high school trying to put each other down. Drummers on the other hand get excited bout playing or even talking bout drumming.

An example: I had a customer come in like a month after i started playing, i had never met the guy before. We started talking bout my kit and what i'm trying to learn and all that. He comes back a hour later with a Chad Smith snare (not amazing but still) and tells me to use it until he needs it for a gig.. guy calls me 3 months later to ask for it back. Drummers are the best people :)

C.M. Jones

Platinum Member
In my earliest stages as a drummer, when taking lessons from a session player (with whom I studied for five years from age eleven to sixteen), my most memorable lightbulb moment involved the discovery of accents. The power of accents to convert simple sticking patterns to elaborate rhythmic variations genuinely amazed me. Once I began to apply accents with some degree of skill, the galaxy of drumming seemed boundless to me.

C.M. Jones

Platinum Member
When I started playing I played heel down and relatively quietly. This was fine for playing school band, college gigs, and cabaret. However, the first serious band I played with was a veteran punk band whose guitarist played on 10. I had never experienced anything like it in my life and realised that if I was going to continue down the rock path I had to play with a hell of a lot more power and conviction to get over and drive a real rock band.
This was of one my instructor's several reasons for promoting the heel-up method, which is mostly how he wanted me to execute. I'll go heel-down for select maneuvers, but my heel is up about ninety-eight percent of the time. That goes for the hi-hat pedal too.

Al Strange

Gold Member
This was of one my instructor's several reasons for promoting the heel-up method, which is mostly how he wanted me to execute. I'll go heel-down for select maneuvers, but my heel is up about ninety-eight percent of the time. That goes for the hi-hat pedal too.
Yup, I moved to heel up too but play both ways, mainly heel up on kicks and a combo of up and down on the hats…:)(y)

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Drummerworld was my Oh Wow because such a great resource of videos and wisdom with a super forum that isn’t a bunch of douche bags but a great bunch of folks.