to those 18'' and 20'' bass drum owners!

ecpietscheck

hi there dear colleagues
then again i have entered a point of whether choosing one road or another: ive saved enough money to buy a kit, im sure about the tom sizes, notwithstanding, not thoroughly convicned yet about bass drum size... i dont like at all bass drum sizes 22'' and above, all of them through to their core, what i really like are small bass drums albeit, i dont really know which one to go with, not the diameter, nor them depth of the drum itself...
to all those of you whom actually own this specific size, not regarding depth, although id appreciate if you included it amongst your answer, would you please write a review about them???
thanks a lot

i have a standard 14x18 bass drum and i like it a lot... no it does not sound like thunder but it sounds nice with a nice note... i think on my next kit i will get a 14x20 bass drum... just to have the option of the deeper note if needed... i like the smaller bass drum sizes so i can keep my rack tom low... i like my drums set up so i don't have to move my arms too much... keeping the rack tom low keeps me on top of things... i don't want to have to really lift my arms to hit it

i run a 15+1/4 x 20" bass drum wide open w/ PS3 coated (batter) & Fiberskyn ambassador. tunes up great to a nice controlled, fat note. sound perfect w/ a big band and even mic'd for 70s disco, funk, motown (perfect w/ this style as well).

i got a buddy who is down on 22+ BDs & is looking into a 21" as they make they heads now. also noticed DW is making 23s like for Myron Grombacher.

I play everything from 16" to 28". I gig mostly with a 20x14, and sometimes with an 18" or 22". The 16", 26", and 28" are used primarily in the studio, although I HAVE gigged with a 26" and 28", and it was a fun novelty, but not something I want to do for every gig...

My optimum would be 20"x14". I'm happy with my 18"x14" but suspect that 20"x14" is the best compromise.

Cheers
Davo

I have played just about every size bass drum.
I think that the 16x20 is perfect for just about anything.
It can be tuned every way possible and sound great.
It is also relatively easy to lug around.

have had 18 x 22, 16 x 22 and 14 x 20. I now prefer the 14 x 20 (vintage 60s').
Why?
1. Punch , a note, great tone and reosonance, esp. with the right heads (PS3 batter and Amb reso), - great definition. If you are micing size will not matter.
2. Nice size for lugging around. Still biggish sound, and fits in a small club, or a small car.
3. It looks cool and distinguishes me from most folks, mostly who own a 22.

Were I go buy another, I would get 14 x 20, but 14 inch depths are rare now, so you are forced to buy an older drum. Nothin' wrong with that though.

I have a 16x18 VLX by DW, sitting in a 9909 cradle and tuned as low as it will reasonably go. Nice overall sound and kick function, but I have to get used to my beater dribbling on the head. I've been burying into a 22" for so long that an 18" is a new feel for me.

I really like the sound of a 20" x 16" bass drum. They tune very well and and have a nice range. They also have enough umph to be heard easily. They're more easily transportable than their 22" x 18" counterparts, which is sometimes a plus.

DSC_0021-5.jpg

Dennis

I love the sound of my 26! small drums just can't do what a big drum will do.

Just like a PA with 12" woofers vs one with 18" woofers. There is no way the 12 is going to out perform the 18 it comes to low notes.

Don't get me wrong 20" kicks sound good, but put it next to a larger kick and you'll hear the difference.

have had 18 x 22, 16 x 22 and 14 x 20. I now prefer the 14 x 20 (vintage 60s').
Why?
1. Punch , a note, great tone and reosonance, esp. with the right heads (PS3 batter and Amb reso), - great definition. If you are micing size will not matter.
2. Nice size for lugging around. Still biggish sound, and fits in a small club, or a small car.
3. It looks cool and distinguishes me from most folks, mostly who own a 22.

Were I go buy another, I would get 14 x 20, but 14 inch depths are rare now, so you are forced to buy an older drum. Nothin' wrong with that though.

I agree. And a 14" footprint is way easier on small venues than a 16" or deeper. I've got now a 18"x16"(depth) bass drum (sonor 3007) but I preferred the 20"x14" from my old Premier kit. I had the sound of Joe Morello in Dave Brubeck's album Take Five. Now my bass drum sound is not as full, I miss it ;-/
There seems to be a fashion effect with the bass drums going deeper and deeper, but it is not that justified in terms of sound.

I went with the 16" depth this time because I knew that I would be loosing the lower register response that I can achieve with the 22" bass drums, but I wanted a bit more "horse power" or volume from the 20" bass drum that I can get with a 16" depth. Having owned a 20" x 14" since 1965, it was fairly simple to recognize the difference between the two. The loss of low frequencies really doesn't bother me because there is still a definite distinction between the 20" bass and my largest floor tom which is a 16" x 16" drum. It's very easy to "feather" play a bass drum when the extra volume isn't needed, but a bit harder on you and the drum when you need those accents or the power to be heard over the established bass line sound of the band. If it's always a miced situation, it really doesn't matter to any great degree.

Dennis

My goto is 14x20 - it's just one of those magic sizes. I have it set up wide open with an Evans Emad batter head, and no hole in the front reso. This drum will really work for any type of music.

What are your tom sizes that you're thinking about?

I have a 22" and an 18". If you don't want a 22" I think you would be happier with the 20". It would be more versatile.

Back