To swish or not to swish?

001.JPG

company man

001.JPG005.JPG004.JPG003.JPG002.JPG

My first "China" was an 18" A. medium-thin Swish with 8 rivets.
Used to scare the hell out of all guitarists I played with.
I played it upside-down, a-la Cobham, and people told me it would cut through everything.
You have to Swish it up!

To paraphrase the tribute band you're in, "Swish it, swish it good!"

old 20 A had since early 70s high school

001.JPG

a mid 90s/late 80s +/- 16" I bought out of the White Papers pre-internet. 16" swish razor-thin.

005.JPG

gazin out the winder

don't ask had to have it anyway Seven Sound Set 1978 602 Paiste 18"

003.JPG

I can felt it down won't budge..

what's this.

007.JPG

Pearl CX-500 Made in Japan 18" Brass.
Actually good been with me over 20 years

004.JPG

008.JPG009.JPG010.JPG

Last edited:
I'm on the hunt for a swish as I fancy my chances of taming the beast in acoustic jazz

I want to replicate Dizzy's swish. You can hear it on The Gifted Ones ( examples would be 3:40 - Back to the land / 1:30 - Constantinople / 1:20 st James infirmary)

Any advice on profile, weight, diametre, rivet count?

Last edited:
I'm on the hunt for a swish as I fancy my chances of taming the beast in acoustic jazz

I want to replicate Dizzy's swish. You can hear it on The Gifted Ones ( examples would be 3:40 - Back to the land / 1:30 - Constantinople / 1:20 st James infirmary)

"I'll take a 20" Swish if we were out side or in a very large room"..

"I would think a Devo Tribute organization/band/ Could use a 16" Paiste 502 China set up High" (had one decades ago) for occasional Smacks

I don't know about you, but I regret not getting a 22" Signature Traditional Swish. I'm so sad.
That really is a wonderful model if you can find one in decent condition. Warm and foamy yet capable of a tinnitus inducing roar when called upon.

_DSC0444-2.jpg

"I would think a Devo Tribute organization/band/ Could use a 16" Paiste 502 China set up High" (had one decades ago) for occasional Smacks
I don’t recall any Devo song ever having a China, and I’ve heard just about all of them.

Time has moved on

in other words Jimmy, if Devo were performing live today and they may be somewhere do you think the drummer might have a little China up on his set?
I could imagine it.

Josh Freese recent with them
Looks like he's using one of those "Holey" cymbals; Were those cymbals around in 73. . Time moves on.

I could see a 16" China -in a "Devo context" for some "quick synth-pops/accents) but not a 20-24"
(unless something really maniac was going on)

Last edited:
I like swishes and swish knockers but I don't get the 20 rivets now so popular. I bought a Zildjuan ZBT cymbal pack and tried to salvage the 18 in ride with a bunch of rivets. I can't remember how many but no amount of rivets would salvage it. In fact the more I added it sounded worse. I don't know if there is a magic number for rivets but I dare say it's less than 20 rivets. What happened to less is more LOL.

Besides the link above, John Riley occasionally pops in on the forum, I’d be curious what the weight/fell may had been.

Here is John talking a bit about the Dizzy SK

I can say mine is 2487g and I like it. All the rivets can have a muting effect, I’ve heard lighter version with full 20 rivets sound dry (~2200g). I fine it take some technique to get the max sustain and location specific of where to hit. I’m sure if you take more rivets out, it might be easier but l like the full 20 ATM

Back