To swish or not to swish?

Not sure. It sounds great without them. I’d try that little chain off the bell first, but maybe four rivers would be enough. The 20 rivets on the SK seems a bit much.

I have an older 22" Zildjian Swish that only has 8 rivets, and I couldn't imagine wanting the 20 rivets that the current Swish Knocker has...

If the Artist Inspiration 24 will do the trick ..... here's a used one on Reverb. https://reverb.com/item/37593861-paiste-2002-series-artist-inspiration-24-swish-ride
Well, the cool thing is I called this particular Sam Ash and talked to them about this cymbal and they've assured me this one was brand new and packed up and sent to a buyer, but it was returned without the box ever being opened. So it should be brand spanking new.

I jumped on it. I guess because this cymbal was sent out, they're only giving me 14 days to make up my mind if I like it. Fair enough. Should see it early next week, or maybe I'll get lucky and see it by Friday just in time for a gig ;)

On a funny note: I told some non-muso friends I was buying some Paistes, and they totally went into the gutter visualizing what I got, and who I got them for.... ;)

Well, the cool thing is I called this particular Sam Ash and talked to them about this cymbal and they've assured me this one was brand new and packed up and sent to a buyer, but it was returned without the box ever being opened. So it should be brand spanking new.

I jumped on it. I guess because this cymbal was sent out, they're only giving me 14 days to make up my mind if I like it. Fair enough. Should see it early next week, or maybe I'll get lucky and see it by Friday just in time for a gig ;)

On a funny note: I told some non-muso friends I was buying some Paistes, and they totally went into the gutter visualizing what I got, and who I got them for.... ;)

Were you saying "pay-stee" or "pie-stee"?

I jumped on it.
Cool. I always found Paiste the make the most "musical" China's. I had a 602. Almost had a gong quality to it. Opposite my Zildjian Amir II, that was about as aggressive as you could get.

That's a bit of an unfair comparison, isn't it? 602 to Amir? Eww ;)
The were both free ..... so they cost the same😆

But more to the point, any and every Zildjian I've ever heard was louder and more brash than a Paiste. The Zildjians, the Wuhans, the Sabians, et al .... fine if that's the sound you want. The Amir II was great, for the kinda "Rage Against the Machine" music I was doing. I needed a "slap you in the face with a track shoe" kinda China.;)

Paiste has always served up a more "elegant" sound, with their swish.

i feel the same way about 24" 2oo2 China... amazing ride capabilities, beautiful-to-terrifying in one stroke. Who could ask for more? : )

24" cymbal is seductive size whether it's Ride Crash Swish or even Flat.
20" should be plenty to cause a ruckus : )

I'm interested to see how you are getting along with it. I'm assuming you got it already.

I'm interested to see how you are getting along with it. I'm assuming you got it already.
I did not get it. They actually shipped me a 24” 2002 Ride! When I called them on it they said they no longer had what I ordered in stock. So I returned it and got my money back. I did get a 20” Giant Beat thin though. I like that one.

I played one at NAMM & wanted it really bad. Paiste was behind on their availability and by the time I was able to buy, they had since stopped making them.
Used they're in the $500-700 range and I'm not touching that.
The Swish Knocker is one I've been looking at and IF I can find it in my range, I'll pull the trigger.

I think the 22" Masters Swish is just an incredible cymbal. I've had a couple of the Traditional 22" swishes that Rick mentioned and I agree that they're fantastic. But I'm giving the edge to the Masters. It's way more usable and musical than it has a right to be, and it's almost always in my setup. It works like a dream for just about everything and records beautifully.

I played one at NAMM & wanted it really bad. Paiste was behind on their availability and by the time I was able to buy, they had since stopped making them.
Used they're in the $500-700 range and I'm not touching that.
The Swish Knocker is one I've been looking at and IF I can find it in my range, I'll pull the trigger.
I had a swish knocker a few years ago and loved it. But it also taught me about spending so much money on a swish and using it maybe 15% of the time. So in a way, maybe it’s good I didn’t get the Paiste. I’ll be complete once I get the Steve Jordan hi hats. I may inquire about a gong though. I think there’s a 36” with my name on it if I can get artist pricing on one of those…..

Ha talk about stuff you won’t use.. I’ve had a 26 for 40 years I think was out twice… do you have any idea what a PITA it is to haul and set up a gong…

Back