To my surprise the Eric Singer DVD really helped me!

ardvark666

I borrowed the Eric Singer DVD from my friend. Well actually he told me to watch it. It sat around for a while until I finally figured I'd watch it. Never a huge fan of Kiss during the Eric Singer years but I have to say that I was impressed with his instruction. The dvd really helps to show you different methods of swing beats and triplets (and so on) but in a way that is easy to follow. He uses double bass so it helped me in that regard too. He is a solid drummer to say the least. I love Danny Carey and others like Peart and the ostinato bass patterns but it's not for me. That's way too advanced and lets face it, there are only so many hours in a day. I didn't list Portnoy because Dream Theater, while technically proficient, has no soul and just makes me want to puke. Anyway, if you don't mint eighth note double bass patterns and simple double bass fills, this dvd is helpful in focusing on keeping time with it. I only recently started double bass so I am not quick to jump into anything too crazy anyway. But this dvd was a surprise and I am glad to have watched it. It's always good to watch a drummer that you never really payed attention to before anyway since it opens you up to new ideas. Rock on

randrade89

I have to say I agree with you on the Portnoy stuff.

Plus his DVD's I think are the worst from Hudson.
I'll have to check the Eric Singer vid. Whats the name of the dvd?

frank0072

Gold Member
Great that you feel inspired by the video.

Mike Portnoy inspires me though, and maybe the music has no soul, but it has some very cool and creative ideas in it that one might borrow and use in soulfull playing, if you know what I mean.

So, just watch a lot of video's, pick what you like and leave the rest, and adapt it all into your playing. Give your own twist to it, and make something relatively new :)...

C

Christ-Hammer

I love Danny Carey and others like Peart and the ostinato bass patterns but it's not for me. That's way too advanced and lets face it, there are only so many hours in a day.
Those hours are what separate intermediate drummers from pro drummers, unless you were bought into fame *coughs* Jonas Brothers.

rjvsmb

Those hours are what separate intermediate drummers from pro drummers, unless you were bought into fame *coughs* Jonas Brothers.
I would say it's what creates great drummers.

I'm sure there are some who feel that there are "intermediate" drummers who are pros, but Christ-Hammer, your point is well taken.

To put the thread back on track, Ardvark, I agree with you. The DVD is informative, and it show, that Mr. Singer takes his craft serious and that he has the skill and knowledge you'd expect from a "pro".

Best,
rjvsmb

ardvark666

Hey Christ Hammer does that mean that Chad Smith is not a pro? Wow I guess he sucks and needs to find a day job, he could never sell records like Dream Theater. I heard that they finally sold some of their albums at a yard sale. I always take a jab at Portnoy, it brings out the music store pro's.

rjvsmb

Hey Christ Hammer does that mean that Chad Smith is not a pro? Wow I guess he sucks and needs to find a day job, he could never sell records like Dream Theater. I heard that they finally sold some of their albums at a yard sale. I always take a jab at Portnoy, it brings out the music store pro's.
Ding, Ding, Ding.

Leeeeeet's Get Ready to Ruuuuuuble!

C

Christ-Hammer

This comment is a bit obnoxious, but it sort of fills me with humor. I wouldn't consider "Chad" a great drummer, I am thinking of legends here. I have no place in bashing Chad because I don't know his daily routine and I am sure you don't either I may be mistaken though. I do find it funny however that my small comment could bring such a rise to such an untrained personality.

rjvsmb

This comment is a bit obnoxious, but it sort of fills me with humor. I wouldn't consider "Chad" a great drummer, I am thinking of legends here. I have no place in bashing Chad because I don't know his daily routine and I am sure you don't either I may be mistaken though. I do find it funny however that my small comment could bring such a rise to such an untrained personality.
ardvark666, are you going to take that? Get in there and fight!

So much for Eric Singer.

C

Christ-Hammer

why do people think this is a fight, its just 2 people talking about drum stuff, rjv is a provoker and needs a new hobby if he roams forums to provoke fights.

rjvsmb

why do people think this is a fight, its just 2 people talking about drum stuff, rjv is a provoker and needs a new hobby if he roams forums to provoke fights.
Ha, ha, ha

Are you kidding me?

Dude, lighten up. It was a joke all in good fun. Jeez

Ok, I'm sorry. It was not my intention to provoke a fight.

rjvsmb

Last edited:

ardvark666

I am just busting chops. We are all on here because we play drums. Not to sound like a hippy but aren't we all musicians because we do appreciate the people that play. Ball breaking comes with the territory. If we didn't do it we might as well take up knitting. But to add to the fire. I think any pro is a musician that doesn't need a day job. So that means that unfortunately, no matter how much we hate them, that yes even the Jonas brothers are pro's. Just really sucky, rich, talentless ones. Oh and I hate Tommy Lee too. But I doubt that will provoke anyone other than the mullets. I do like the Crue though. Oh sorry randrade89 the dvd is called Drum Lessons: Eric Singer All Access To Drumming - learn how to play drums instructional dvd. But if you watch it beware of the fact that it looks really dated.