To German grip? or not to German girip?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
until reading this thread I paid zero attention to my grip style, turns out I have a French-ish grip with my left and a German-ish grip with my right. I'm sure every teacher out there would have a fit and do everything possible to change what I do.
As long as you are using them correctly it doesnt matter. Your hands dont need to match. You just need to not injure yourself.

someguy01

As long as you are using them correctly it doesnt matter. Your hands dont need to match. You just need to not injure yourself.
I think an old wrist injury to my right hand is why I grip the way I do. Falling off motorbikes and being crashed at the track definitely throw a monkey wrench into normal movement.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I think an old wrist injury to my right hand is why I grip the way I do. Falling off motorbikes and being crashed at the track definitely throw a monkey wrench into normal movement.
Yeah that's probably not suggested!

I cant imagine falling off a bike. That must be truly horrifying. If I did that and injured my hands or feet, the bike would be sold immediately. I love to go fast, but love playing drums more. Anytime I hurt my hands or feet I get panicky because the idea of drumming no more is the first thought to jump into my head.

someguy01

Yeah that's probably not suggested!

I cant imagine falling off a bike. That must be truly horrifying. If I did that and injured my hands or feet, the bike would be sold immediately. I love to go fast, but love playing drums more. Anytime I hurt my hands or feet I get panicky because the idea of drumming no more is the first thought to jump into my head.
I stopped racing bikes 15 years ago and we sold the Cross Country earlier this year. I stopped pleasure riding because it's no longer a pleasure. People are idiots behind the wheel and I got tired of constantly fending off idiots on their phones. There are a few cars in the Denver area that have a nice size 12 dent in the doors.

rebonn

I think ergonomics dictates how people grip a stick. I see mostly French grip for the right hand for the ride and drums to the right, while the snare's location in relation to the left hand I usually see a German or American grip. I noticed this from day one 50 years ago. Practicing and playing for so long this way my right hand plays in between the two while crossing over to the hihat.

iCe

Ah... I just realised why. Another old thread raised from the dead. The ghosts of DWF 👻
Well i guess that's what we have to accept after pointing everyone to the search function after all those 'what's Travis Barker's cymbal setup lolz' threads :p

Plodder

The age of a thread is perhaps irrelevant and it should be judged by the content of its character. It is indeed a conundrum when creating new threads on a subject is verboten, yet one must not use an "old" thread even though it keeps content contiguous. Thread patrol angst is always an ugly thing, plus it is off topic. Always.

So long live the grips. You have to use them all if you're going to play efficiently. But, your groove may settle into the one of your ingrained habit for most of your time or on challenging passages. And for the record, and for those who care, Bonham's groove was French grip. In theory he used German, but in pictures and video, just French.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I like the sound when I use French grip on the ride cymbal. Something about the thumb on top makes for a nice ping tone. I can't really do FG on my snare hand, that hand defaults to GG. When I play hi hat (crossed) I use German as well. So mainly German grip with short trips to France.

Trad grip doesn't work for me, I had to ditch it for matched

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Art beat me to it, but attempting to limit yourself to one grip style is nothing but a hindrance. We are drummers and move around a kit, often not even our own kit. There's a thousand ways to hit a drum, and I keep every one of them an option.

Do not pick a grip. Learn lots of grips and use them to your advantage for sound, or mobility, or convenience.

Iristone

I mainly play trad/French when I'm conscious about it, otherwise the right hand can go somewhere in-between. When I dabble in German occasionally I find I can "pull" the stick with my middle finger just like my trad left hand. So it's not just in the wrist, it's in the fingers too. ;)