Tips to not injure yourself while drumming

veecharlie

So.. I keep seeing people believing that earing damage while drumming is only possible in concerts and also being ignorant about how our body works when drumming.. so I made this video.. hoping all you guys will take some awareness and research just a bit more to make yourself a better drummer.
https://youtu.be/F7iQix3U5Rs

After having suffered such an injury that kept me busy with since 2012 to thr present, for something so dumb as falling of while sporting and thinking it was just a simple fall I really don't want that it happens to you guys. Health is important too

Dealing with a rotator cuff right now... I have a gig coming up pretty soon and have to keep my right elbow pretty tucked in at the moment while I am playing.

Dealing with a rotator cuff right now... I have a gig coming up pretty soon and have to keep my right elbow pretty tucked in at the moment while I am playing.

Been there many times (4 in fact) and I tried trad grip and it nearly killed me. I actually think that's why I play like I do, years of trying to play following a shoulder repair.

My main issue at the moment though is sciatica caused by wobbly drum stools in crappy rehearsal rooms.

So.. I keep seeing people believing that earing damage while drumming is only possible in concerts and also being ignorant about how our body works when drumming.. so I made this video.. hoping all you guys will take some awareness and research just a bit more to make yourself a better drummer.
https://youtu.be/F7iQix3U5Rs

After having suffered such an injury that kept me busy with since 2012 to thr present, for something so dumb as falling of while sporting and thinking it was just a simple fall I really don't want that it happens to you guys. Health is important too

Nice video! it's important to look after yourself while on the kit

Been there many times (4 in fact) and I tried trad grip and it nearly killed me. I actually think that's why I play like I do, years of trying to play following a shoulder repair.

My main issue at the moment though is sciatica caused by wobbly drum stools in crappy rehearsal rooms.

Auuchh. Sciatica is really painfull.. will you get operated? A family member of mine got operated and she doesn't suffer from it anymore. I never tought a drum stool could be that bad.. !

Maybe try to move the cymbals in a better position. To me helped a bounch to lower them and minimise the distance between my arm and the cymbals (just an idea)

That is a good idea.

I already changed my set up from a 8,10,12,14 tom set up. I dropped the 8 so I could have 10,12 racks to the left, and the ride in a much better place. I may drop the 10 and just use a 12 and 14 for now too.

I record often so I do like my cymbals a bit higher for mic placement but I can make it work, I think that is a good idea. I have found reaching for the crash can make me wince.

I play pretty extreme death metal so right now I'm just taking a few days off to see how it does. Blast beats and hard hitting are not going to help.

Interesting about the wobbly drum throne too. I used to play in crappy dingy jam rooms with the worst gear. I jam in my house now but still have a few cheap thrones that wobble and 1 good one on my main kit. I may look into this and replace them. Ergonomics and feeling good make it easier to play well, but being injured means not playing at all.

Great vid! Definitely an under-discussed topic. You ever hear of The Alexander Technique? Seems relevant.

Been there many times (4 in fact) and I tried trad grip and it nearly killed me.

You notice that a lot of the top trad grip players are switching to matched as they age (Jack Dejohnette, Thomas Lang, etc.)

The Alexander Technique is good, but the Gokhale Method is much better, I've studied both. And I agree with you about traditional grip.

Great vid! Definitely an under-discussed topic. You ever hear of The Alexander Technique? Seems relevant.

The Alexander Technique is good, but the Gokhale Method is much better, I've studied both. And I agree with you about traditional grip.

I haven't tried them out yet. But it sounds like something I have to add to my goals

Back