Tips for throne position with 2nd Floor Tom

AxisDrummer

Wasn't really sure how to word the subject title....

I'm very new to using a 2nd floor tom. My old setup was 2 bass drums, with a mounted tom on each, and one floor tom.

I took a several year layoff and found a renewed passion in drumming. I bought a new set back in February (Tama Silverstar Lacquer 6 piece). Going back to single bass, single pedal (back to basics). A pair of mounted toms, and now 2 floor toms both on my right side.

I love using the 2nd floor tom (16") to provide that deep sound that my 14" doesn't give. But I'm having issues with my throne positioning in relation to the bass drum pedal and the 2nd floor tom. If my throne is closer to the bass drum, I get better footwork and control of my bass pedal but feel like I have to twist too far to the right to play the 16" floor tom.

If I set the throne back a bit, the 16" floor tom is more accessible, but my leg is stretched a bit far to play the bass drum with the control and power that I'd like to. Also it feels like I'm stretching to reach the mounted toms (which are mounted as close to me as possible) when my throne is back too far.

I'm sure it's all about finding a healthy medium between the two, but I'll gladly appreciate any tips given to me.

topgun2021

Gold Member
Have you thought about moving the floor tom around? move it to the right and up more in relation to where you sit, or place it on your left.

Derek Roddy

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
That was always my issue with 2 floor toms.
I use the 14 on my left now and, it opened up a new world of stickings getting around to that drum.

D

Toolate

Platinum Member
I have my 16 on my L and it really is a ton of fun. Free to go anywhere with your hands- so nice. Aside from that, I would move the 16 forward, towards a standard ride cymbal position but not that far. So your L hand wouldnt have to go so far across your lap to hit it. I often thought it would make sense to switch the 14 and 16 so the 16 would be closer to the snare but never tried it.

AxisDrummer

Great suggestions. Have plenty of room on my snare/hi-hat side, but I do like rolling across the 4 toms high to low. BUT.....it never hurts to try something new.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
That was always my issue with 2 floor toms.
I use the 14 on my left now and, it opened up a new world of stickings getting around to that drum.

D
A few years ago I put together my first 2 down kit. I had played since 1971 and I had never used two floor toms before.
I spent a few weeks with the 14" tom on my left next to my hats.
I did see the potential of the configuration and I experimented a lot, but after a few weeks I put the floor toms next to each other on my right.
For some reason I just couldn't warm up to the concept.
Just to old and anal-retentive I guess. :)

I like my dual floors on a stand and I keep the larger tom more to my right than behind me.
I have to twist only slightly to hit the 16. I also use the Joe Morello, "flip over the wrist" move a lot.

Attachments

Last edited:
A

audiotech

If you want your 16 sitting behind the 14, it's probably something your going to have to get use to through practice. I have this same configuration on a few of my kits and it's very playable. I tried the 14" on my left, but the reach never felt very comfortable compared to it on my right. If you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket, compromise by moving your throne back just a bit and work with both the increased distance to your bass drum and also the distance that you have to stretch to get to your 16".

I personally keep my snare drums as close to my bass drum as possible, The same goes for my 14" floor toms. The 16" if fairly close behind to my 14". This puts my seat just about side by side to my 16" drum which is easy to reach with both hands if needed.

BTW, none of my drums are touching one another.

Dennis

AxisDrummer

If you want your 16 sitting behind the 14, it's probably something your going to have to get use to through practice. I have this same configuration on a few of my kits and it's very playable. I tried the 14" on my left, but the reach never felt very comfortable compared to it on my right. If you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket, compromise by moving your throne back just a bit and work with both the increased distance to your bass drum and also the distance that you have to stretch to get to your 16".

I personally keep my snare drums as close to my bass drum as possible, The same goes for my 14" floor toms. The 16" if fairly close behind to my 14". This puts my seat just about side by side to my 16" drum which is easy to reach with both hands if needed.

BTW, none of my drums are touching one another.

Dennis
I also play with my snare very close to my bass drum almost touching and everything else very tight and compact (played many shows with small riser). The space between my snare and 14" floor tom is about my legs width and that's it. I think I can deal with the throne sitting back a bit in regards to the bass drum playing. It's just that stretching for my 2 rack toms becomes a chore. Longer sticks? Ha. Again, I'll just have to find that happy medium and move things around a bit.. Hey, this is why drums aren't bolted to the ground, right?