Tips for better sound from SilentStroke heads.

Rabid

I'm amazed at the different that 4 inches of painters tape will make on the sound of these heads. I use the blue (I think 3M) tape placed near the edge of the head. It is a little louder, but has a LOT more tone. Now I cannot imagine playing these without a bit of tape. Makes me wonder if they will ever come out with a black dot line of mesh heads that don't need a bit of tape.

Any other tips for getting better sound out of these practice heads?

tmdrum

I thought that idea of those heads is not to produce any sound at all (except impact noise when stick hits head surface)

newoldie

Silver Member
I'm amazed at the different that 4 inches of painters tape will make on the sound of these heads. I use the blue (I think 3M) tape placed near the edge of the head. It is a little louder, but has a LOT more tone. Now I cannot imagine playing these without a bit of tape. Makes me wonder if they will ever come out with a black dot line of mesh heads that don't need a bit of tape.

Any other tips for getting better sound out of these practice heads?
I concur with your interest in having a bit more sound, or perhaps definition of strokes. Most of the time, the toms SS work quite well for my practice application/room, but for my snare I switched over to using a regular snare with an Aquarian super pad on top.
This gave more snare definition the Silent Stroke didn't provide.

I also tried to put tape on the SS heads and found this gave them a bit more definition but the head was too bouncy.

For the bass drum, the SS was too bouncy and didn't provide a real feel to the pedal dynamics, which was one of my goals in practicing the single pedal exercises. The better solution turned out to be taping smaller microfiber towels to really mute the resonance on the batter and covering up the reso with a thick blanket.

Sometimes, its not an all or nothing sound choice- the slight extra sound could make a difference in practicing at the right sound level or not, something critical for practice enjoyment and mechanics.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Put a Falam Slam patch on them.

I tried it and found it a bit "clicky" for my tastes and ended up taking them off, but there's no doubt they provided better stick attack and the increase in surface area allowed more air to move and made the head a little louder. I've kept one on the bass drum though and find better beater response by doing so.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
I think you should find some sticky backed fabric (not felt) and put that right in the middle of the head. The surface coverage will give you more tone, but the fabric will still be quiet when being hit. Experiment with different sizes to get the tone you are looking for before final adhesion.

john352050