Time spent in Oxnard

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
I arrived back in Florida yesterday after spending five days out at DW and the Drumchannel in Oxnard, helping to produce and manage a project for some clients. The folks at both DW and Drumchannel are really outstanding and the production facility is incredible. From the gon bops line to the variety of stunning wood veneers from which to make the kits, DW does a great job. There is even a soundproofed music room (complete with Pacific kit, guitars, basses and amps) solely for the employees to enjoy when they are on break! It is really a class operation.

Drumchannel, which is owned by Don Lombardi, occupies the building next to DW and is itself a great facility. It has managed to employ great folks on both the audio and the visual side. Nothing is too much trouble, the studio equipment is great and Kevin, the engineer has a great ear and a great attitude. Terry Bozzio is working out there and actually has two complete versions of his big kit set up in his office and one in the warhouse outside the studio with two huge percussion racks. A sight to behold.

Being out in California gives me the chance to catch up with old drummer friends and make new ones and the Drumchannel is the perfect place as folks seem to pop in at regular intervals. So, thanks a lot to DW, to Drum Channel, to Don Lombardi, John Goode, Terry, Kevin, Don Sidney and all the members of the project for such a great experience.

Paul

Sounds like dream trip. I am hoping to see pictures...

Sounds like dream trip. I am hoping to see pictures...

It really was a great trip and I remain humbled by the talent of those with whom I was working. The session was to record John Blackwell's new solo album and we recorded with John, Paul Pesco (guitar), Corey Bernhard (keys) and Will Lee (bass). There were additional guests such as Charlie Singleton from Cameo and the great David Garfield. Some parts remain to be recorded inculding a vocal and some guitar parts but apart from that we are done with the actual recording. I actually only took a couple of pictures (I know, I know). I do have one of me sitting at Terry's kit which I will post when it is developed. Others with me, however, took quite a few of the session and while some will have to be reserved for the project itself, I imagine that I will be able to post some when they arrive.

Paul

It really was a great trip and I remain humbled by the talent of those with whom I was working. The session was to record John Blackwell's new solo album and we recorded with John, Paul Pesco (guitar), Corey Bernhard (keys) and Will Lee (bass). There were additional guests such as Charlie Singleton from Cameo and the great David Garfield. Some parts remain to be recorded inculding a vocal and some guitar parts but apart from that we are done with the actual recording. I actually only took a couple of pictures (I know, I know). I do have one of me sitting at Terry's kit which I will post when it is developed. Others with me, however, took quite a few of the session and while some will have to be reserved for the project itself, I imagine that I will be able to post some when they arrive.

Paul

...and to think my weekend was spent shoveling snow. ;)

That's just amazing!

Sounds like fun Paul..Nice gig, working and having fun at the same time.

The real question is.... did you have a Double Double while you were out there? ;-)

Prior to this trip, that question would have meant nothing to me! Now, I can say with pride that I did enjoy a double double on two occasions! We had In & Out catered to the studio during a late Friday night and on the Wednesday before, I picked Will up from Steve Ferrone's house and we both hit a double double on the way back to Camarillo!

They should totally open those franchises in Florida!!!

Paul

I grew up in Camarillo and went to school in Oxnard. It's always great to get back to the old stomping grounds and now that DW is there I have even more reasons to visit. I had a blast when I was given a tour af the facility. Thank for the post, Paul.

I grew up in Camarillo and went to school in Oxnard. It's always great to get back to the old stomping grounds and now that DW is there I have even more reasons to visit. I had a blast when I was given a tour af the facility. Thank for the post, Paul.

You are more than welcome. I have lived in the US for 19 years but always somewhere flat (Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Iowa City, Kansas City and Now Tampa). The scenery around Camarillo and Oxnard is stunning, with hills, valleys and mountains. A truly beautiful part of the world and it looks like a wonderful place to grow up!

paul

Back