Time sig help!! Quicksand

Sounds like 4/4 common time to me, but i might be wrong. I think you're just confusing phrasing with time signature.

Nope, you're right, just listened to it several times. There's no 1, 2 or 3 distinct, repetitive ones, they're jumping around between every phrase. you're going to have to memorize the individual phrasing and not count it out unless you're going to memorize a sequence of 20 different time signatures. Good news is that the song is like 2 minutes (probably because the band couldn't hold it together for any longer without someone screwing it up in studio)

Nope, you're right, just listened to it several times. There's no 1, 2 or 3 distinct, repetitive ones, they're jumping around between every phrase. you're going to have to memorize the individual phrasing and not count it out unless you're going to memorize a sequence of 20 different time signatures. Good news is that the song is like 2 minutes (probably because the band couldn't hold it together for any longer without someone screwing it up in studio)

This is what I thought. I've asked this on serveral different forums, and I get different answers on each one. Some say it switches between 5/4 and 4/4, some say 3/4 5/4 and 4/4, but I've never been able to actually count it out.

This makes sence though. Thanks.

Very interesting indeed. I thought I counted some 5/8 in there too :)

Just one of those feel songs with some extra beats here and there if ya ask me. plus or minus.

Quick edit: basically it is 4/4 with some odd time sigs here and there. You are better off feeling them (if ya know what I mean) instead of trying to count them out but that is just a suggestion.

Last edited:
To my ear, I'd say it's all 4/4 with backbeat displacement to create the "wandering" effects.

To my ear, I'd say it's all 4/4 with backbeat displacement to create the "wandering" effects.

That's what i thought at first but the downbeat of consequent phrasing doesn't land on the one most of the time. It's definitely random. Damn peyote smoking hippie wannabes, hehe.

possible 13/8?
almost sounds like 2 phrases of 4/8 then a 5/8

Back