Time Manipulation Drum Book

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
I wrote a drum book called Time Manipulation, that was published 25 years ago.
Many people thought it was a great book, but it's been out of print for many years.

I'm in the last stages of a revised and improved edition, and I will make it available again soon.

Note : it is now available worldwide http://tinyurl.com/y6ua5pup

It is suitable for drummers of all levels, and its purpose is to work on coordination in a groove context.

Summary of Sections
Section 1 - Basic Patterns
Section 2 - Polyrhythmic Patterns
Section 3 - Anticipations
Section 4 - Beat Displacements
Section 5 - Basic & Polyrhythmic 12/8 Patterns
Section 6 - Swing & Shuffle Feels
Section 7 - Rhythmic Modulations

140 pages, including explanations and many examples.
Sixty-eighth 16-bar groove exercises, meant to be practiced with numerous cymbal ostinatos.
147 examples will be available in audio and/or video versions.

Time Manipulation Drum Blog

Thanks for your attention!
Alain

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Wow Alain. I had to comment on your time feel on your videos.

Suh-weet!

Is the book ready to ship?

I can't find a link to buy it.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Thanks for your nice comments Larry, and thanks also for your interest in the book!

It isn't available yet, but I'll keep you posted here !

You can also subscribe to this mailing list!

Cheers
Alain

Wow Alain. I had to comment on your time feel on your videos.

Suh-weet!

Is the book ready to ship?

I can't find a link to buy it.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Excerpt from Section 2 - Polyrhythmic Patterns

In Section 2, new patterns are formed using some of the basic rhythmic figures seen in Section 1.
This is done in a musical way, using polyrhythms that are ubiquitous in many musical traditions, as well as in current styles.

• I suggest to play the 16 patterns of the page in sequence, each measure being played twice.
• You can work on separate patterns at first, but playing the patterns in sequence is what brings out the real strength of the exercices.

Click here to listen

Last edited:

Roostar

When do you think your book will be available ? And will it be available in the uk?
I have subscribed to you mail list but was just curious :)

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Hi and thanks for subscribing to my newsletter! Let me know if you downloaded the examples and if you enjoy them!

The book is basically ready to print, I made draft copies at home, but I need to make the cover, or to have it made, as I won't use the previous one.

Then I'll have do a draft printing at the printer, and then I plan to make it available to interested people worldwide through the internet.
Difficult to tell you exactly how long it will take, at this point, but I'll do it as fast as I can!

Thanks for your interest!
Alain

When do you think your book will be available ? And will it be available in the uk?
I have subscribed to you mail list but was just curious :)

Roostar

It looks promising mate. Im assuming the patterns get more complex and you go i to snare displacement etc? Very good start, easy to understand and progresses as the excersise develops.

veecharlie

Looks like a very interesting Book! I'm looking forward to get it :) well done and I wish you all threads best with it :)

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
It looks promising mate. Im assuming the patterns get more complex and you go i to snare displacement etc? Very good start, easy to understand and progresses as the excersise develops.
Yes, there is 21 beat displacement exercises in the 4th section, and I think everything is progressive, logical and realistic!

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
Section 3 is meant to work on anticipations.
Snare-drum and bass-drum notes that are played accented right before a beat, when they are followed by a rest, can be considered as being an anticipation of that beat.
  • I suggest to play the 16 patterns of the page in sequence, each measure being played twice.
  • You can work on separate patterns at first, but playing the patterns in sequence is what brings out the real strength of the exercices.
Click here to listen

Last edited:

MaxBeljans

Hello Alain,

Can't wait to get this new version of your book !

It looks so clear, comprehensive and interesting to develop coordination

while grooving as Hell !! ;)

Let's Keep in touch

Tell me when it's gonna be available on the market.

Cheers.

Max