Time/energy management.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
So you wanna keep practicing your stickings. It seems natural to use your feet a bit. Right foot is exhausted from playing samba all day. Stepping the left foot on the hats seems redundant. At the same time it seems you don't really ever have the energy to work your double bass chops and what's really keeping you back is your left foot. What to do, what to do.......

Sometimes I'm dumbfounded by my own stupidity.

The nerdiness I'm already quite aware of.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
So you wanna keep practicing your stickings. It seems natural to use your feet a bit. Right foot is exhausted from playing samba all day. Stepping the left foot on the hats seems redundant. At the same time it seems you don't really ever have the energy to work your double bass chops and what's really keeping you back is your left foot. What to do, what to do.......

Sometimes I'm dumbfounded by my own stupidity.

The nerdiness I'm already quite aware of.
You're out of shape.

Try riding a bike for forty miles or swimming a mile. Drumming... no problem.

Only problem I have is carpal tunnel, there is only so much technique you can practice to develop certain small muscle groups.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
How often do you use a samba in music? Very little for me in any of my projects. Virgil donati's book is fantastic, I'm sure I've typed that here 100 times.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
You're out of shape.

Try riding a bike for forty miles or swimming a mile. Drumming... no problem.

Only problem I have is carpal tunnel, there is only so much technique you can practice to develop certain small muscle groups.
I think you just need a more demanding drum teacher. :)

How often do you use a samba in music?
All the time.

Virgil donati's book is fantastic, I'm sure I've typed that here 100 times.
Me's got it.

KamaK

Platinum Member
When work on my BD foot, I can over-practice to the point where my leg gets a bit noodle-ey (like a wet noodle), or as my wife says, "You're pushin' rope".

When that happens, just stand up and stretch the legs for a bit. Get a bit of fresh blood into them.

If it happens often, see a doctor for BP and other possible circulatory issues.

MikeM

Platinum Member
Man, you guys are work-a-holics!

In my 35 years of playing, I have never gotten this far down in the weeds.

Do I still run into physical limitations that force me into the shed? Sure, of course. But I have to say that it's always a part within a piece of music that exposes my weakness, and that's pretty much without exception. That's the driver of my "practice regimen".

The limitations I wrestle with the most are figuring which of the many available options will best fit the music, and they're almost always mental limitations where intuitive sense and creativity aren't quite cutting it.

Practicing diddly-doodles at 540 bpm without any concept of their practical (musical) application is an exercise in theoretical academics.

I don't mean this as too much of a rant, and I hope it doesn't come off as disrespectful. My point is just that perfectionism is usually not your friend, in music or life in general.

Spreggy

Silver Member
Placing the hat on the "ands" throws you some new coordination challenges. You can always Bozzio the thing and play your left bass pedal and hi-hat together with one foot, come up with a groovy ostinado to play over.

Here's a Bozziasm I'm toying with lately.
https://youtu.be/4DVguBGbtgM?t=23m28s

mikel

Platinum Member
Its called "Over training". Playing drums for long periods is an endurance activity and you train your body to do it.

Training is made up of two elements. Training.......and recovery.

If you only train and don't recover, you wont progress, in fact you will go backwards.

To get the most, especially from long training sessions, you MUST recover properly or your technique and endurance will slowly but surely go backwards. Trust me.

Train, recover, train, recover. If muscles are fatigued and wont do what you tell them to do you are wasting your time. Stop, recover, and go back to it the next day. If you are still sore then the recovery has not taken place.

Once the recovery has taken place the technique or endurance you were working on will be in place and you can move on.

More is not always better.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Man it's a cruel world. lol

I was just sitting at my kit yesterday and enjoying working my Chaffee around the kit. Right foot was tired, left was not. In my case hi-hat and BD pedal are different motions and being I'm so into the stuff I'm doing now, most of it very BD heavy it was just natural to give my right foot a rest, but I was not tired and clearly inspired by newfound facility. So when RF is physically tired and hi-hat stuff is conceptually tired, why not.

I was just an obviously failed attempt at being a bit funny, though. :)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Its called "Over training". Playing drums for long periods is an endurance activity and you train your body to do it.

Training is made up of two elements. Training.......and recovery.

If you only train and don't recover, you wont progress, in fact you will go backwards.

To get the most, especially from long training sessions, you MUST recover properly or your technique and endurance will slowly but surely go backwards. Trust me.

Train, recover, train, recover. If muscles are fatigued and wont do what you tell them to do you are wasting your time. Stop, recover, and go back to it the next day. If you are still sore then the recovery has not taken place.

Once the recovery has taken place the technique or endurance you were working on will be in place and you can move on.

More is not always better.
Nah. 0:19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdR8rl-NbB4

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Man it's a cruel world. lol

I was just sitting at my kit yesterday and enjoying working my Chaffee around the kit. Right foot was tired, left was not. In my case hi-hat and BD pedal are different motions and being I'm so into the stuff I'm doing now, most of it very BD heavy it was just natural to give my right foot a rest, but I was not tired and clearly inspired by newfound facility. So when RF is physically tired and hi-hat stuff is conceptually tired, why not.

I was just an obviously failed attempt at being a bit funny, though. :)
I've been doing some left foot hihat shuffles(imitating traditional Native American stomp dance rhythms), either alternating with the bass or on every beat with the bass as an accent, it's hard at first, but starts to feel and sound pretty good after a couple of weeks, if you ride a bike the coordination and stamina really is easy.