Tim Bogert

Old PIT Guy

I searched and couldn't find a thread honoring Tim Bogert's death last week. From the Fudge to his work with Jeff Beck and his huge influence on students at MIT during his tenure there I felt it appropriate to post a topic. He certainly made a mark.

BB&A were early and significant influences for me.

=
-

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I remember Tim fondly from my time at PIT.

Every Wednesday, the school had what was essentially a full on rock concert with stage, lights, camera, and room full of people. If you formed a band for the week, and practiced, you could sign up and play this show. Tim was in charge of running it. When I started at the school, we were warned that Tim was a hard ass and you better be prepared or else face his wrath. You also needed him to sign your sheet afterward to prove you had survived. But to me, he was always very sweet and very encouraging. I played that show every Wednesday for 6 months. I would joke with him about needing his autograph after a performance as I handed him my sheet to sign. I don't think I ever saw him again after graduation, but he was a key part of my memories of music school. Rest in Peace Tim.

Old PIT Guy

I remember Tim fondly from my time at PIT.

Every Wednesday, the school had what was essentially a full on rock concert with stage, lights, camera, and room full of people. If you formed a band for the week, and practiced, you could sign up and play this show. Tim was in charge of running it. When I started at the school, we were warned that Tim was a hard ass and you better be prepared or else face his wrath. You also needed him to sign your sheet afterward to prove you had survived. But to me, he was always very sweet and very encouraging. I played that show every Wednesday for 6 months. I would joke with him about needing his autograph after a performance as I handed him my sheet to sign. I don't think I ever saw him again after graduation, but he was a key part of my memories of music school. Rest in Peace Tim.

Ah, yes. the old performance slips. There was a guy one semester who was an expert forger and sold them. I think you needed 21 to graduate? I can't recall now - too long ago. What year were you there?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Ah, yes. the old performance slips. There was a guy one semester who was an expert forger and sold them. I think you needed 21 to graduate? I can't recall now - too long ago. What year were you there?
I was there Sept 1991 to Sept 1992

I recall you needed three performance slips signed per quarter. But in 3rd and 4th quarter it was a race to see who could get the most. lol

Old PIT Guy

I was there Sept 1991 to Sept 1992

I recall you needed three performance slips signed per quarter. But in 3rd and 4th quarter it was a race to see who could get the most. lol

Ah, ok. You were in the new school. I was March 85-86 and then worked there through 87 after graduation. All but the last 6 months or so in the Hollywood Blvd. school. The new building didn't have the intimacy of the old one.

It may well have been 12 slips when I was a student and it just seemed like more, because I do recall the terror I felt playing to get them at the start.